Verizon To Kill Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plans!! -___-

Verizon to Kill Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plans. This Is #++$#+!#.

Unlimited data on Verizon is dead. The death rattle just wheezed out during Verizon Communications CFO Fran Shammo's dream-killing presentation at the JP Morgan Technology, Media and Telecom conference. Everyone with a grandfathered unlimited data plan will be forced to switch to a tiered plan when they upgrade to LTE. It's absurd, warrantless, and sadly, typically, aggressively anti-consumer.

Killing unlimited—especially grandfathered plans—was always going to piss off, well, everyone, but Verizon thinks it has a good reason. "Everyone will be on data share," Shammo said. All customers will be forced onto Verizon's new shared data plans once their upgrade cycle comes around, which are in theory easier to manage for multi-device families. Except that doesn't really pass the smell test.

Here's the thing: shared plans aren't evil. They actually make some sense with the amount of wireless devices we carry around at this point. Phones, tablets, MiFis, even 3G laptops are getting pretty good. And a shared, unified data plan would keep you from having to pay for a MiFi, an iPad, and a smartphone, all separately. But if you only have one device, and you are just fine, thank you, with the plan that you have, there is no sense to forcing you off of your plan and squeezing you into one that accommodates an iPad you don't own.

Verizon's unlimited data hasn't been available since last summer. But for those of us who snuck in under the cutoff, there was a sense of safety. AT&T killed its unlimited plans back in the middle of 2010, and there had been no indication that there would be a retroactive culling of them going forward. As long as you were careful with your plan, you were free to keep it.

Verizon's policy had been fairly benevolent until now, at least outwardly. 3G unlimited users were allowed to keep their unlimited plans when they moved to LTE, with no added charge. There had been signs that Verizon had been getting wary of unlimited sticking around, with its push to make 3G Facetime only available to non-unlimited customers.

Admittedly, most people who have unlimited plans don't actually need unlimited data, or anything close to it. But that's beyond the point. Verizon sold a product, and through no fault of its customers—most of whom aren't even abusing it—it is now calling takebacks.

We've contacted Verizon, and it has refused to comment on whether this is actually definitely positively happening, but given the certainty behind Shammo's presentation, don't hold your breath. [Verizon via FierceWireless, MobileBurn via Engadget]

http://gizmodo.com/5910903/verizon-...lans-when-you-upgrade-to-lte-this-is-#++$#+!#

indifferent.gif

Thought they did this already. My brother was grandfathered in on my dads plan last June. Then I got an iPhone on my dads plan this past December and they wouldnt let me get grandfathered in. They said the cut-off was last August.

Originally Posted by IHaveMyOwnOpinion

Originally Posted by iBlink

Sprint ftw
pimp.gif
It's only a matter of time bro
I don't think so. Sprint is low key doing great business with their unlimited plan ever since it acquired the account with Apple. A lot of people have switched carriers just to have the iPhone on a cheaper provider. I think this move by Verizon reflects the fact that they're losing customers. I don't think Sprint is suffering to the point where they're going to revamp their prices on the multitude of users who they have just gained.

But then again, it's all about making money, so I may be wrong. But for the moment, I enjoy an unlimited plan on my iPhone for under $100.

Verizon is being +%!+@%%%. Now they're making you pay an extra $30 too when you upgrade your phone.

If this is how it's gonna be... I'm OUTTTT!

Originally Posted by iBlink

Sprint ftw
pimp.gif

I've had Sprint for years...it's great for the price and the phone service is generally fine but the data is slow as hell.  Every carrier has its issues though, Sprint gets the job done.

To those of you with unlimited how much data do you even use a month? I don't have unlimited, only have a 2gb per month plan and never come close to going over.

Originally Posted by jrdnsrnss

To those of you with unlimited how much data do you even use a month? I don't have unlimited, only have a 2gb per month plan and never come close to going over.

Some ******s are too cheap to pay for internet service for their home, so they end up using their cell phone as a mobile hotspot.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by jrdnsrnss

I have unlimited (ATT), but I don't really use a lot of data.  That said, I don't want to cancel it because of how media is being put on your iPhone, ex) streaming ESPN and movies.  If I had that in HS, I would probably do 1gb a day.

Back
Top Bottom