Violent Magnets (Graphic Pics)

Dirk's Accident

Dirk had an accident. Below is the X-ray showing his totally crushed finger tip.It took 1 1/2 hours of surgery to remove the shattered bones and repair the damage. Medically speaking, he crushed his right index finger distal phalange. Themagnets had a 50 cm (20 inch) separation when they decided to fly together.

finger%20xray%201024-768.jpg

He is lucky that he only lost a finger tip as opposed to his whole hand. The block Neo below is about 4" by2" by 2" N45 with a pull force of around 700 lbs (320 kg). The disk is about 3" dia. by 2 1/2" thick N45 with a pull force of about 400 lbs(180 kg). That is his fingernail and some of his finger tip caught between the magnets.
photo%20magnets%20wth%20nail%20+%20measurements%201024-768.jpg

These Monsters Flew 20 Inches (50 cm) Before Crushing Bone!

photo%20finger%20no%201%201024-768.jpg

photo%20finger%20no%206%201024-768.jpg

The questions that came to my head after reading and seeing the pix are: where was he? and what are those magnets used for? Sucks that he won't have all 10fingers ever again.

Originally Posted by CaBron James 23

dam, how long do you think Nowitzki is gonna be out??
He's out for the rest of the season. Stern set up the the magnets to end his career early.

Originally Posted by wj4

The questions that came to my head after reading and seeing the pix are: where was he? and what are those magnets used for? Sucks that he won't have all 10 fingers ever again.
Here is all the info. you need...

Here are some pictures of my finger.
No problem to add them at your side to warn people about these magnets
Also 2 of the magnet with in between my fingers nail (complete)

I am 47 years old and I collected a lot of stuff, Collecting rare and strange items is a hobby of mine. I have a nice collection authentic samurai swords....razor sharp. Also one of the strongest crossbows and compound hunting bows. I never use them... just as "decoration" for my room.

I work at a laboratory with x-ray equipment. Also have a degree in x-ray radiation and radiation poisoning.

I know what is dangerous and these magnets I found on the Internet were so amazingly strong that I could not resist not to buy them all four. I have twoblocks... one round with a diameter of 75 mm and 70 mm in length. The one that not pictured and without human parts
smile.gif
is measured 40 (thickness) x 100(diameter).

The above magnets are N45. I also have 8 small N50 magnets (cubics) with an crazy force, but not lethal because of its small size (don't swallow them ofcourse).

They came to me from the USA in four different large cardboard boxes. Each magnet placed in the center of each box. Very careful packing ! I placed them in myown room (closed when I am not at home or in the room) around a 1 meter in diameter pouf. No direct contact.

That Sunday night I placed on of them a bit in line with one of the others but still within a safety distance (I thought) !!!
When I rotated the magnet the other raised it self upwards due to the same poles. I know that I thought (ooops ... take care) and before I knew it the one thatraised itself upwards turned around and within a split second the two magnets collided to each other with the top-part of my finger between them. Due to thebrutal force my finger was splashed and pushed out between the magnets leaving skin and my complete nail between the two magnets. The collision was so strongthat on the carpet I found only some drops of blood spread around the magnets. Like you smash a hammer on a frikandel (is a Dutch snack, a sort of minced-meathot dog).

I even didn't know that also my right food was betweenthe magnets. I noticed it the other day when I removed my socks that it was very bruised (dark blue). The magnet must have smack against it and travelled on tothe other magnet.

Because of the high impact my finger was not bleeding when it happened. But I looked at my finger and said (oh my goodness)..... the first thing I thoughtabout was to bandage before the bleeding would start. The first minutes a wound will not bleed due to the force.
I just finished bandaging my finger an the blood was already dripping through it. I called my best friend ( it was 3:30 in the morning) and he picked me up andwe went to the trauma unit in a nearby town (very large hospital).
Due to the brutal force it took more than one hour before I feel the pain (getting worse each minute). The surgery was for about 1.5 hours because the bone wasshattered, but it was easy to remove it because they could see the fragments because my finger was "open".
The also stopped the large blood vessel that was crushed and with every beat of my heart some blood was pushed out.

I was back home again around 9 o'clock in the morning.... The pain I suffered was enormous although they gave me several heavy painkillers (opium basedmedicine)... but the pain was not so intense. Now after 1.5 week the pain is still there... but not as the day it happened .... more like a inflamed tooth(decayed tooth).

Well... this is my story about the Neodymium magnets.........

I'm already telling people to be more than careful and never ever use two large Neodymium at the same time. In hospital they told me that I was very verylucky.... I still have all my fingers but it could up end really worse if the magnets collided in a other way.

I appreciate that you will place my story with the pictures to warn others about the not known danger of these beautiful magnets
I will never throw them away but I now really respect Neodymium N45 and higher.

Best regards....... Dirk - The Netherlands

Back
Top Bottom