Visiting Austin for 2 days - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by b1gdaddyh, Mar 12, 2013.

1. b1gdaddyh

b1gdaddyh

Hi guys,

I'm going to be in Austin for work in 2 weeks for 2 days. Any recommendations on food or places to grab a couple drinks? Or even a cool shop to drop by?

So far I've been told:
    Rudy's
    Salt Lick
    Uchi

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. lyrikill

lyrikill

I'll be there tomorrow...I hit up Aussies Beach bar...good spot to get drinks & chill...hit up Tekgnar for Sb's, Nice Kicks of course...and i try to to always hit max's wine dive

3. hurley34

hurley34

Gueros in South Austin is a good place to get mexican food.

6th street is fun if you are into goin out to bars, it is a bunch of college kids for the most part though.  The surrounding area has a bunch of bars too that arent necessarily as overrun by college kids.

4. b1gdaddyh

b1gdaddyh

thanks for the input!

5. pianoman52

pianoman52

bump for austin. anybody got any other recommendations? is a car rental necessary? hotel recommendations?

6. bartleby929

bartleby929

i got you, bro. car rental = yes, f-ing necessary. hotels in austin are EXPENSIVE cause there aren't that many. and by expensive i mean not cheap (like $40 cheap on better bidding that you can find for houston or new orleans or something). We always stay at Aloft in the Domain but it is a solid 20 minutes away from the action. Austin Motel (sounds horrible) is smack in the center of South Congress -- a very lively Austin-y street. I think both are around a hundo a night. 

skip salt lick. skip franklins (unless you really are willing to wait 3 hours for bbq - they used to take preorders a week early but seem to flake hard these days). these are my suggestions for good eats:

home slice pizza. don't hate, it's awesome

hop doddy. how good can a burger be? fun atmosphere, just very young and vibrant

the mighty cone is worth looking for

i'm a huge fan of uchiko - because uchi is going to be booked and i refuse to wait over 1 hour or 1.5 hours to eat.

jmueller's bbq i've heard good things

taco. deli. TACO DELI.

also it depends how old you are - 6th street if you're still poor, i heard rainey street is the $$ 6th street.

i also recommend a visit to whole foods just for *****. the first whole foods. and it is just really really big. take a piss there, buy an honest tea and bounce

Thierry Henry likes this.
  7. dakid23

dakid23

Spending a weekend here. How good is this salt lick bbq?

What are some cool late 20 bars?

8. shuhbonkboo

shuhbonkboo

Hi planning a November two day trip in Austin and then a few days in Dallas. Any recommendations for breweries, bars, BBQ/food in general are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

9. da hen

da hen

Franklin BBQ (i heard they had a fire), Kerbey Lane, anything on 4th or 6th street