Visiting Italy

Going on a vacation with my family in a few weeks, specifically to Rome and Florence. I know we're already planning on seeing the pope, famous churches and art galleries, the Colosseum and other ancient monuments, and going to a soccer game among other things.

Is there anything I need to do while I'm there? Could use some restaurant, shopping, and activity recommendations since I know we'll do plenty of sightseeing.

image.png
Going on a vacation with my family in a few weeks, specifically to Rome and Florence. I know we're already planning on seeing the pope, famous churches and art galleries, the Colosseum and other ancient monuments, and going to a soccer game among other things.

Is there anything I need to do while I'm there? Could use some restaurant, shopping, and activity recommendations since I know we'll do plenty of sightseeing.
Ask this on the Italy subreddit..u will get a ton of responses

Someone already said an Italian woman.
I've been to both, Firenze and Roma, loved both. Florence is super walk-able, more "quiet", so is Rome, but Florence, you could just bike or walk EVERYWHERE. Rome is interesting as there are a million people there at any given time, but there are quiet, little enclaves where you could grab a bite to eat or drink and relish in pure, Roman culture.

I know Anthony Bourdain has a few episodes between multiple shows on Italy/Rome, culture, wine, food, etc.. I would watch those and take it from there. Also, ask locals WHILE you are there for the best places to go.
I went to a "international" part of Rome while I was there, a lot of westernized pubs, ad dive bars with mostly, American exchange students/euro exchange students. It was hella fun and easy as I was the only black boy out chea, I pulled mad biddies. I forget the name of this section.

There's a little sandwich shop that's perfect to go to in Florence. It's called All'Antico Vinaio. 10 Euros and includes wine. The tradition is to eat and socialize in the middle of the street with other Italians. Of course, that's a little tough if you don't speak the language, but their sandwiches are incredible.

We also made sure to check out the museums there, in particular, the dome of the church "Il Duomo di Firenze". Then check out the original Gucci store. All incredible. The hospitality is unlike almost anywhere else in the world.

I went during their fashion week and our host was a personal concierge. If you want to PM me I can let you know what the spot was that we stayed so you can get the same hookup. He got us reservations to a sold-out restaurant right near the bridge. Best meal of my entire life. Ten courses, three bottles of Proseco, and I think the bill was very reasonable for the amount of food and experience we received.

I'm busy right now, so I'll try to get back here later for Rome suggestions.

There's a little sandwich shop that's perfect to go to in Florence. It's called All'Antico Vinaio. 10 Euros and includes wine. The tradition is to eat and socialize in the middle of the street with other Italians. Of course, that's a little tough if you don't speak the language, but their sandwiches are incredible.

We also made sure to check out the museums there, in particular, the dome of the church "Il Duomo di Firenze". Then check out the original Gucci store. All incredible. The hospitality is unlike almost anywhere else in the world.

I went during their fashion week and our host was a personal concierge. If you want to PM me I can let you know what the spot was that we stayed so you can get the same hookup. He got us reservations to a sold-out restaurant right near the bridge. Best meal of my entire life. Ten courses, three bottles of Proseco, and I think the bill was very reasonable for the amount of food and experience we received.

I'm busy right now, so I'll try to get back here later for Rome suggestions.
I appreciate the offer, but we've already got our spot booked and the lady who owns the Airbnb we're staying at has a hookup for some tours. You remember the name of the restaurant though? Would like to go there if possible. Will try and check out those other places you mentioned as well.

A lot of black Italians are dating white Italian girls, then again, those Italians are soccer players and the white girls all look like models.

Was in Rome and Florence in September, back on Tuesday with family. What dates are you there? Would start making reservations now.

Ugh Italy stole my heart this summer. Was there in July! A lot of walking so comfy shoes are a must. Also you have to eat every single flavor of gelato especially the nocciola (hazelnut). If your in room Rifugio Romano was great but trust me finding good places to eat will not be a problem. Have an amazing time!

Was in Rome and Florence in September, back on Tuesday with family. What dates are you there? Would start making reservations now.
Yeah we've made reservations for everything you'd need reservations for, including tickets to see Fiorentina play AC Milan. How'd you enjoy it?

Ugh Italy stole my heart this summer. Was there in July! A lot of walking so comfy shoes are a must. Also you have to eat every single flavor of gelato especially the nocciola (hazelnut). If your in room Rifugio Romano was great but trust me finding good places to eat will not be a problem. Have an amazing time!
Not a big hazelnut fan, but I will definitely be trying several other flavors. :lol: Thanks!

Going in a week to Rome!!

Never been, so not quite sure what to expect aside from the cold weather.

Yeah we've made reservations for everything you'd need reservations for, including tickets to see Fiorentina play AC Milan. How'd you enjoy it?

I love Rome, has the most amazingly Airbnb overlooking the Coliseum. Did you make reservations for restaurants??

everything in Rome is so pretty much within walking distance ( trevi foutain/panthoen ,

spanish steps, vatican city, coliseum etc)

Fly into London. RyanAir from there. Simple and around $609 RT

tbh honest thats a lot, especially from boston. flew LA to CDG for $475 RT
check out norwegian airlines, can easily find laower rates into FCO

I spent a few months in Florence 3 years ago and loved every second of it. Osteria Santo Spirito is one of my favorite restaurants there - the truffle gnocchi is a must. Make sure you catch a sunset at Piazalle Michelangelo overlooking the city. You can do a day trip over to Cinque Terre if you've got the time to spare, pretty awesome to see in person!

Buy tickets in advance for the tourist spots, saves you a bunch of time and hassle. Personally I enjoyed Florence more than Rome and wished I stayed more days there.

I love Rome, has the most amazingly Airbnb overlooking the Coliseum. Did you make reservations for restaurants??
Yeah already got two reservations for restaurants and signed up for some kind of food/restaurant tour as well. Looking forward to the Italian food

Back
Top Bottom