Volunteer Thread

I was at my internship. (Foster care/Family center) and one of the boys in my group had to go because he was getting a hair cut. Turns out a barber came and was going to give all the boys a fresh cut for free. I thought that was so cool.

You dont have to always give money you can just give your time and talents.

Volunteering in your community is a great thing to do.
NT is always helping others( earthquake relief etc)

Here are some resources that can help in your volunteer journey

You can dial 211 on your phone 24 hrs and ask the operator about volunteering opportunities

http://www.volunteermatch.org/

https://www.newyorkcares.org/

What talents do you have that can help your community?

Do you volunteer?

Why you no volunteer
laugh.gif

I volunteered coaching high school rec basketball teams for the past four years and really enjoyed it. It started out as my friend and I's idea for a community service project that everyone had to do their senior year of high school and I continued it into college.

I always had some stacked teams because my younger brother would give me insider knowledge on who to draft in the winter season and come spring and summer when you could make your roster and the JV/varsity seasons were over, my brother would put together a roster with him and other players who actually played for their schools in the winter.

Due to forgetting registration deadlines/being lazy I haven't coached since last summer, but I'll probably coach again this summer.

Last edited:
^ :lol:

I do want to get into volunteering, but I don't want to have to sign up or interview for it. I want to be able to come and go.

was volunteering every mondays, preparing/packing meals/food for elderly, people suffering from terminally ill disease, HIV/Aids
it's a few blocks from my home and usually about 3hrs. need to get back into again.
met some interesting people that also volunteer.

^
laugh.gif

I do want to get into volunteering, but I don't want to have to sign up or interview for it. I want to be able to come and go.
So what is stopping you from going to a local day care, reading to some kids for an hour a few times a week?

i donated to big brothers and big sisters club few weeks ago, i plan to do it again.

im also going to volunteer this summer

i don't think its about bragging at all, its just something more people should do.......

reps from me OP

Last edited:
@DCAllAmerican wtf do you do to help anyone? i mean you seem like youre so PRO about things

you clearly don't buy sneakers, how did you became of NT member?
God placed me here. I don't question his commands.
I didn't even know that was an option. That's not the kind of volunteering im interested in anyway.
What are you looking to do? If you don't mind me asking. I come in peace

God placed me here. I don't question his commands.
What are you looking to do? If you don't mind me asking. I come in peace

ok righteous man of my lord and savior the almighty GOD the father of HEAVEN and EARTH

well

you came off like an ******* over someone who made a positive thread with a question at the end

i fail to see where OP wasbragging at all

Last edited:
ok righteous man of my lord and savior the almighty GOD the father of HEAVEN and EARTH

well

you came off like an ******* over someone who made a positive thread with a question at the end

i fail to see where OP wasbragging at all
Honestly, you are whining too much man. Stop taking things so seriously please.

Potentially the biggest #HumbleBrag thread in NT history.

Come on people, tell everyone how great of a human you are.

Whats wrong with you, like for real.
Ignore him.  He's rapidly wearing out his welcome.

Much respect to those who dedicate their time and resources to helping others.  

We had to do 40 hours to graduate from my high school.

A lot of great experiences though.

Still do some things here and there but definitely would like to do more.

Not really traditional volunteering, but there was a Guatemalan family outside Wal-Mart with a sign that basically said they were homeless and hungry, so I bought them dinner.

^
laugh.gif

I recently interviewed to be a mentor role to junior high school kids and just found out I didn't get it.

laugh.gif

Last edited:
I used to volunteer a lot more when I was in school, but I just don't have the time these days. My chapter did monthly trips to Feed My Starving Children (not the biggest fan but if it helps, I can't knock it), a couple Paint it Pretty projects every summer (helping repaint old folks' houses,) and a free breakfast/gift give away during Christmas. Also did other stuff like helping my local park board with art sled races during the winter, the may day parade, etc, but that was mostly just by myself or with my family.

These days, I usually stick with mentoring and tutoring. I tutor at a local library on Tuesdays and Thursdays, then on Saturdays we attend activities like archery, boxing, fitness training, trips to the science museum, etc. through a mentorship program (think Big Brothers/Big Sisters with a FUBU model.) I try to make it at least two saturdays every month in addition to the weekly tutoring.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom