Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Google will roll out its wireless service starting tomorrow

The Wall Street Journal has just reported that Google plans to launch its very own phone service starting tomorrow. The plan was first announced over a month ago at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, but the WSJ has since unearthed more details about it. The service will initially only be available on Nexus 6 handsets and will piggyback on Sprint and T-Mobile networks -- it'll switch between the two depending on which has the strongest signal. Most intriguing, however, is the revelation that the wireless service will let customers pay only for the data they consume per month. What's more, it'll also let you route calls and data through WiFi, which could reduce bills even further. There's not much else we know about Google's first stab at running its own phone service, but if its goal is to shake up the wireless industry, it looks like it certainly will.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/21/google-wireless-service/

Google taking over the world and I'm ok with it.

Last edited:
What ever happened to their internet service?

Think it was called Google Fiber
they are still working on it. I believe they just got FCC approval to use the already existing telephone poles or wiring or something like that. This should help them tremendously.

[h1]  [/h1]
[h1]Google officially unveils Project Fi, a refreshing new wireless service [/h1]

Apr 22nd 2015 by Quentyn Kennemer

Looks like the rumors were true, folks — this is Project Fi, Google’s wireless carrier. The Mountain View company laid all the details out on a brand new landing page today.

A lot of the details brought to surface by recent leaks seem to have been spot on. Here’s what to expect from each facet of Google’s new wireless service:
[h3]The Network[/h3]
  • Automatically identify and connect to the fastest and most reliable network, whether that’s a public or private WiFi hotspot, or a network of a carrier partner (Sprint or T-Mobile)
  • All transmissions over WiFi networks are automatically and fully encrypted
[h3]The Plan[/h3]
  • Start with a basic plan of $20 per month that includes unlimited domestic talk and text, unlimited international texts, low-cost international calls and WiFi tethering.
  • Add data by the gigabyte at a rate of $10 per 1GB.
  • Don’t use all the data you added in a billing period? $1 per 100 unused megabytes is refunded to you.
  • International data costs the same at home as it does in 120 other international destinations (though you may be limited to 2G and 3G when abroad).
[h3]The Experience[/h3]
  • Calls and texts can be made over WiFi in case you don’t have cellular coverage.
  • Calls can be routed from WiFi to cellular networks and vice versa without interruption if you happen to drift away from a signal
  • You can also make calls and send texts using your phone number with any device that has Hangouts, including your tablet, a different phone or your computer.
Sound like something you want to be part of? You can head right here to request an invite to check it out ahead of its full launch.

There are a couple of caveats to note before you jump in head first. The first is that you’ll need to buy a  Nexus 6  as it’s the only smartphone that supports the new technology Google is using to make this possible. The Nexus 6 you may already own from Motorola, Google Play or your carrier counts, or you can buy one when signing up for Fi service.

You’ll also need to make sure Google’s carriers partners have sufficient service in your area, though this is no tall order as they’ll ask for your zip code before whisking you through the setup process.

Developing…

Continue reading:

Last edited:
$10/GB?
sick.gif

I'm good
True, although they do refund you for all unused data. That's kinda ill. 

Nexus 6 good so far.

I am missing the iPhone so we will see what the future holds :lol:

But I really like this joint :pimp:

[COLOR=#red]Project Fi, Google's new wireless service has horrible pricing structure. Plus they're only teaming up with T-Mobile and Sprint to use their coverage. Let's see how far this goes.

I'll stick with the $30 T-Mobile plan, it's good to have some options though.

Same.

My N5 has been restarting and optimizing the apps on its own since yesterday. Tried cleaning the power button but that didn't help. Ever since I updated to 5.0 I've been having little issues such as the camera and certain apps crashing or not even launching.

Ehhh. Unlimted talk, text, and 5GB of data can be had via T-Mobile for 30$ and this is piggybacking off the T-Mobile network. Pass

[COLOR=#red]My thoughts exactly. Granted they will rollover your unused data and it seamlessly switches you from cell network to pre-vetted wifi access points, it still seems a little half-baked. Google should have taken a little more time with this IMO.

Back
Top Bottom