Washington Wizards 2012-2013 Season Thread - Thanks for a great year!

Will the Washington Wizards make the playoffs this year?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
To expand on what I said earlier and piggyback on Meth and Shuttlesworth's comments, I too have sat all over the Verizon Center and think you will have fun wherever you sit. I've literally been on the floor and against the wall at the top.

I also couldn't agree more with what Meth said about the difference in atmosphere between the 100 and 400 levels. I think more fans that actually care about the game, are knowledgeable about basketball, and are there to actually watch the world's best players compete vice showing up for the hottest social event in the city that night (granted, a typical Wiz game probably ISN'T the hottest social event in the city nowadays unless the Heat or Lakers are in town) sit in the upper level. Even though Wizards tickets can be found at pretty extreme discounts anymore, close seats are still relatively expensive for a lot of people.

I was in grad school when Jordan signed with the Wizards in September 2001. Now I was a HUGE Jordan fan growing up and I knew I would never have the opportunity to experience Mike in person for a season again and would always think "what if" if I didn't get tickets, so I called right when he made it official and got season tickets. My tickets those two seasons were in section 403. While I got lower level seats for a number of games over those two years, I experienced the majority of the Jordan era from the upper deck and and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Honestly seeing all 82 home games of the Jordan era live is something I'll never forget, even if the on-court results were disappointing and he missed a handful of those games due to injury, distance from the action notwithstanding.

After the Wizards fired Michael and him leaving the Verizon Center garage in his SL with a scowl on his face was on the cover of nearly every newspaper in the country, I swore I'd never give the Wizards another dime. However, they had my money for the playoffs that never were in 2003 and that money could only be applied as a credit, not refunded. It's not like I could resist NBA basketball anyway and, long story short, I never ended up cancelling my tickets. I am at a fairly low row in the lower level now and, while the view sure as heck beats my seats in 403, it will actually be the upper level seats that will always be more nostaglic for me. Most of this is because that's where I experienced the Jordan years, but what Meth says about the fans in the lower level cannot be more true. It is clearly people that got tickets through work and don't care about basketball more often than not. Most people around you don't know any of the players' names outside the stars. People routinely get up and leave with five minutes to go in tied games. The people next to me have had their seats for years, but show up in the second quater and leave in the third more often than not when they bother to show up at all. And, since I can't make every game nowadays, what I'm seeing is generally the fans' behavior and experiences for the more desirable half of the schedule. It's even worse when they're playing the Bucks or Bobcats on a randon Tuesday or Wednesday night in February.

yea the the rock was the man in sac but was 33 when he went to washington. but at the time webber was my favorite player. it killed me when the warriors traded him to the bullets for wally cleaver. i was so excited that i could see webber play live again even though it was with the kings :lol:

good lord air max cw while he was on the bullets. damn those kicks were the biz

in a world where guys like derek rose say they care about the community and kids killing kids atleast a guy like webber stood for what he believed in and left nike because he wasnt having it with the the price tag on his kicks

WIZARDS
pimp.gif

Im liking hating the history lesson taught in here

Fixed.

Bad times, man.

Anyway, Trevor Booker looked good from what I saw of the preseason game yesterday. Seems to have developed offensively, but we'll see.

Last edited:
Ha....I remember that picture of MJ dipping out of the Verizon Center in the Green AMG looking heated. He had that Denzel look in training day when he realized Jake wasn't giving him the money.

The buzz was something else when MJ was there.....the immense amount of hatred for DC Jordan has is unreal.

Well, the preseason certainly ended on a sour note.  Beal logged his worst game as a pro:  zero points (0-6 from two, 0-2 from three, no FTA), one assist, one rebound, three fouls, and two turnovers in 19 minutes.  The rest of the team didn't look much better.  Thankfully, we can put all of that behind us now and wipe the slate clean heading into Tuesday's season opener against the hated Cavs.

I think AJ Price earned the starting nod, but who knows what Wittman's thinking for positions 2-4?  Ariza did absolutely nothing to earn a starting spot.  Webster certainly outplayed him, and received more minutes than Singleton in recent games.  Booker played well at times, so you  probably have to consider him the favorite to open the year at power forward until Nene gets back.  As sick as I am of Crawford's streak shooting, it's entirely possible that he'll be named the starting 2 on opening night, and they're more likely to try and wedge him into the point spot than they are to replace him with Beal outright.  

IF that were the case, we'd be starting:

Okafor

Booker

Webster

Crawford
Price

which is a lineup that strikes fear into the hearts of precisely no one.  

It could be a rough start until Wall and Nene get back. 
Ha....I remember that picture of MJ dipping out of the Verizon Center in the Green AMG looking heated. He had that Denzel look in training day when he realized Jake wasn't giving him the money.

The buzz was something else when MJ was there.....the immense amount of hatred for DC Jordan has is unreal.
I'm still heated that they never retired #23.  MIAMI retired #23 for crying out loud. 

No class.  Jordan accepted a MINIMUM salary and donated it to charity.  He had to sell his shares of the team in order to do it.  That's how this organization repaid him?  

And Ted Leonsis - the guy who convinced MJ to become the president of basketball operations to begin with - is now the only one preventing the team from raising MJ's jersey to the rafters where it belongs.  There's no Abe Pollin to blame for the whole thing anymore.  He had the chance to at least TRY to salvage a little dignity for the organization and show respect to the greatest ever to play the game.  He didn't.

You wonder why players have no respect for this franchise.  If that's how they treat MJ, what do you think they'll do to you? 

Didn't see anything posted, but both Shelvin Mack and Brian Cook were cut.

Final 15 per BF

Here is your final 15-man roster.

John Wall
Nene
Emeka Okafor
Trevor Ariza
Bradley Beal
Kevin Seraphin
Trevor Booker
Jordan Crawford
Jan Vesely
Chris Singleton
Martell Webster
A.J. Price
Cartier Martin
Jannero Pargo
Earl Barron

Link

And the case for why Martell Webster should start over Trevor Ariza

It really shouldn't be that hard of a decision for Randy Wittman to list Martell Webster's name on the starting lineup card for Tuesday's season opener against the Cleveland Cavaliers. That it is speaks to the politics of the league, where bigger salaries, psychology and management's hopes dictate lineup decisions more than merit. Still, if we're basing this decision solely on merit, Webster has earned the starting job over Trevor Ariza.

And if Wittman is serious about his talk of a meritocracy, he should give Webster what he deserves.

To be fair to Ariza, much of this is due to Webster balling out. Friend of the blog Kevin Broom, an analytics guy who once ran numbers for the team in a consulting role, noted that, in his system, Webster's preseason production was on par with LeBron James' regular-season production. There's no way Webster keeps that up in the regular season, but it does speak to just how well he played. He was also much better than I expected defensively, and while I'd still rate Ariza higher on that end, Webster did more to make up the gap than I expected.

Link

I feel if we were healthy this game would be a completely different story we are shooting like straight crap :smh:

How the hell we let this scrub varejoa grab 22 boards SMH this is gonna be a long season

He's not a bad player. As a matter of fact, I think he's very underrated.

For the game, I'm not too upset. This team was missing 3 of it's best players and stayed reasonably competitive. We need the horses back in the lineup. Also, both Price/Pargo HAVE to be better.

And honestly, the atmosphere in the 400 level during a big game is pretty good.  

I usually sit in the lower bowl and there it's 90% corporate.  You'll sit next to idiots on cell phones the entire time, or people who show up midway through the second quarter, don't even follow the game, and are there for no discernible reason. 

I've been in second row seats to watch Michael Jordan and I've been in 400 level seats practically up against the wall to see the Heat play, and there's more energy in the 400 level - hands down.  I'm not going to sit here and say I prefer nosebleed seats to floor seats, but I think you'll have a good time. 
Were you at the Cavs/Wiz opener in Cleveland? They showed somebody with your avi-mask on in the crowd. 8)

And honestly, the atmosphere in the 400 level during a big game is pretty good.  

I usually sit in the lower bowl and there it's 90% corporate.  You'll sit next to idiots on cell phones the entire time, or people who show up midway through the second quarter, don't even follow the game, and are there for no discernible reason. 

I've been in second row seats to watch Michael Jordan and I've been in 400 level seats practically up against the wall to see the Heat play, and there's more energy in the 400 level - hands down.  I'm not going to sit here and say I prefer nosebleed seats to floor seats, but I think you'll have a good time. 
Were you at the Cavs/Wiz opener in Cleveland? They showed somebody with your avi-mask on in the crowd.
glasses.gif
Really?  I missed that - and I really don't want to watch the full rebroadcast tonight to try and catch it. 

I'm a fan, but I'm not flying to Cleveland to see the Wizards play the Cavs.  I don't even think Ted Leonsis flew to Cleveland to see the Wizards play the Cavs.  

Ugly game to say the least.  Our rotations and especially our pick and roll defense were AWFUL.  What's worse, the intensity was absent until the fourth quarter.  

Pop quiz, hotshot:  you're inbounding the ball.  Alonzo Gee's lost a shoe.  What do you do?   

Apparently the answer, if you're the Wizards, is to wait for him to tie it, then lazily bring the ball up the floor.  Way to attack. 

And can we PLEASE end the Crawford at the point experiment?  Singleton sets a pick for him BEYOND the three point line, BOTH defenders follow Crawford.... Crawford bricks the contested three.

The way Price and Pargo played tonight, you'll forgive me if I'm still a bit puzzled by the decision to waive Mack.  

Beal absolutely vanished after the first five minutes of the game.  

Now we've got two against Boston before getting Milwaukee at home.  

When do you see this team getting its first W?

The Wizards looked like a team of guys you just picked up at the Y for a run. No identity, no chemistry, no offensive cohesion. Watching Jordan Crawford pound the ball in the ground and then throw up a prayer is comical.

I don't see them winning anytime soon playing like that.

At least they had enough heart enough not to quit, but it was the first game of the year. Giving up 5/6 point blank dunks down the stretch....where is the basketball IQ and defensive fire?

Yeah I peeped the Cobra Commander costume in the crowd, dude had is girl dressed up in the G.I. Joe theme too.

What he said no offensive chemistry it looked like we had just gathered them all before the game and gave them unis, I love this team but damn I be pulling out my hair for the last couple seasons.

Even though we lost tonight, im positive we will have a pretty good season. Our lineup for this season looks dope, with everyone healthy I feel like we can actually have a positive season.. 

Shots weren't dropping and it looked a bit messy at times but they looked good. Excited about the new pickups and can't wait for Nene and John Wall to get back. 

Last edited:
Wow, never knew Meth was a Wizards fan.

Anyway,...What are your opinions on Jordan Crawford; in terms of fantasy? Drop or keep?
It would appear he'd have to compete against Ariza, Beal, and possibly another to get minutes?

Last edited:
Wizards being the wizards...... Back to reality. I'd like them to go 500 this season, that's all I expect at the most. It's like watching the and1 team play against and NBA team lol.

AJ Price's Carlton Banks display in the 4th quarter had me bout to throw my tv out the window :x

Wittman's rotations were HORRIBLE last night, keep the lineup in that got you back in the game don't throw a timid rookie and a certified bum in AJ Price in there after you regain the lead. And Jordan Crawford does what he always does, shoot and dribble the air out of the ball

Props to Earl Barron for his effort last night, was way better than Trevor Booker that's for sure

Going to be another longggggg season.

Beal is exactly what i thought he would be (for now i hope he proves me wrong) a wing shooter that can't create his own shot........what i would give for MKG (i know we didn't have a shot at him since he went second...but still). Hurry back John, you are the only reason i have to watch us play this year.

I don't get how some of yall are giving up on beal after ONE GAME???!!!???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom