"We" in Regards to Favorite Teams...

I know some people get upset if I say, "we just need to play some defense" or "our pitching is horrible" Their argument being "areyou part of the team? Do you play for ________" Just wondering what NT's opinion is on this because as far as im concerned I am part of the team Iput a vested interest into every team I watch...money, emotions, etc. Damn straight I'm going to act like part of the team.

Originally Posted by dfresh244

I know some people get upset if I say, "we just need to play some defense" or "our pitching is horrible" Their argument being "are you part of the team? Do you play for ________" Just wondering what NT's opinion is on this because as far as im concerned I am part of the team I put a vested interest into every team I watch...money, emotions, etc. Damn straight I'm going to act like part of the team.

yep

I feel the same, and especially if the team is from the city you live in or are from. It is your team. Teams represent their cities and fans. If it wasn'tfor the fans there would be no professional sports... I hate it when people get all upset at fans taking a possession in their teams. Maybe they just haventexpirenced what it is like to be a real fanatic.

Originally Posted by Rapper Slash Exec

True fans live & die by their teams.

amen02.jpg

I know that there are people reading this that are thinking, 'Yeah, I'm one of the people that hates when people act like they have ownership in theteam. You don't. Stop saying 'We' and 'Our' like you're part of the team. You're not. There is you... and there is THAT team; not'your team', but 'that team'. Stop acting like you are with them. You're not.'

But as this thread will prove, the people that think like that are in the minority; a majority of sports fans DO take stock into their teams... THEIR teams...and they should.

And have known a few people like that, and every single one of them had one thing in common: they all had an arrogant elitism about them. The head footballcoach here is like that, always giving people a hard time about saying 'We' and what not, and dude is about as arrogant as they come. We're cool,but dude acts like he's the head coach of Ohio State or something, when in reality, this is just a small university with a football program that juststarted 3 years ago. But this dude does his postgame interviews like he's being interviewed by Chris Berman or something, walks around campus like he's9 feet tall and bulletproof.

When I saw him the day after a tough loss last November, I told him 'Man, good game yesterday. We almost had 'em,' and sure enough, he hit me witha quick 'I didn't know you were playing.'

indifferent.gif

And every person have known that was bothered by fans taking ownership in their team had at least some semblance of arrogance about them as well, an elitism.

Forget that, and forget them.

Those of you reading this thread, thinking 'Yeah, that's me. I hate when people do that': come off it, please.
wink.gif

We have every right to take ownership in our teams, with as much money as we spend on gear and tickets, as much emotion as we feel with critical wins andlosses, and as much TIME as we pour into following them and their opponents, we definitely have stock in our teams.

And how many times do athletes say they're doing it for the fans? Thousands of times? Millions?

So what are we supposed to collectively say back to those athletes? 'No, you're not doing it for us, buddy. You're doing it for you and yourteammates. Just pretend we don't exist, because we have nothing at all to do with you guys.'

roll.gif

i hear you but just because they are my favorite team
and believe me, i love the teams i cheer for.

but by no means am i apart of the team..
i always say they or ill name the team.
thats how i was taught and thats how i see it.
plain and simple.

I say it all the time. I put in money for tickets, hoodies, shirts, tees, jerseys, watch every single game, know stats, whos who, follow transactions, frontoffice moves, everything. If you do all that, you can say "we". When my team wins, Im very happy, when we lose im dissapointed. There was times werea loss ruined my next couple days. As just a fan, I feel part of the team. I think I can get away with saying "we". This goes for others as well.

I don't like when people throw the word around though. I have people coming up to me & saying

"Did we play last night? "
"Who do we play next?"
"Are we playing home/away tonight?"

eyes.gif

Thats the kind of stuff that kind of irks me, cause the word is being thrown around. If you say "we" you gotta know this kind of stuff...

True fans live & die by their teams.
pimp.gif

I hate people that say "We" Your not apart of that team. There is you and there's them.

Originally Posted by atljunkie

i hear you but just because they are my favorite team
and believe me, i love the teams i cheer for.

but by no means am i apart of the team..
i always say they or ill name the team.
thats how i was taught and thats how i see it.
plain and simple.

I wouldn't claim any of your teams either
laugh.gif

TBONE32:
I hate people that say "We" Your not apart of that team. There is you and there's them.
Are you a Knicks fan? I'm just asking because you have Nate in your avy.

Regardless, you're obviously a fan of some team, right?

When you say that you 'hate' when people do this, do you also hate when people do it to you? You hate when people are talking about their team and theysay 'We won last night', but do you also hate when people are asking you about your team and they ask 'I didn't watch the whole game. Did youguys end up winning?'

And don't tell people have never talked like to you... EVER. I'm not buying that.

So when that happens, do you hate it? Do you hit 'em with the quick 'First of all, guy... that's not my team. I'm not on the team. I don'twear the jersey, and they're not paying me. So don't ask me if 'we' ended up winning, because there is me... and there is them. Second, no theydidn't win.'

Is that how it goes down?

Doubt it.
wink.gif

Why do we say "We Americans"? because we live in it and have pride for it?

we don't have ownership in that do we?

YO!

Simply, yes. "We" are apart of the teams we cheer for. Psychologically speaking, it is the purpose of competitive sports.

Those who disagree live in a tragically objective world. DF!!!

but there would be no "them" if there was no "us," so therefore "we" are a representation of the team whenever we talk amongst fan circles.

Exactly. Without the diehard fans that support the team through thick and thin, the team would not be what it is. And this isn't some abstractphilosophical argument either. Fans DO affect a team. Just check out any team that has ever sported a great road record but relatively poor home record.It's ALWAYS been because at home no one's showing up to the games. Plenty of times you hear announcers and analysts talk about how "there's nohome court advantage" because no one shows up to games (check out Charlotte during the last year of its Hornets days... over the reg. season and playoffsthey had a BETTER road record than home record... coincidence? no). Point is, fans DO affect the well-being of a team.

If you didn't think you made a difference to a team, why do you bother cheering on your favorite player when you're at a game? Why do people startspontaneously cheering on a team when they're down, doing chants, and all that stuff? And AS A PLAYER, don't you think it's a GREAT feeling to havepeople cheering you on and helping you out?

So yes, fans do become part of a team and its success, so there is justification in using "we".

Back
Top Bottom