WELCOME TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE -*RIP STAN LEE & Boseman* - D&W OUT NOW - Doomsday = RDJ back

As long as they power her down a bit in Endgame which now that she has a direct link to the space stone and with Thanos still having the gauntlet I can totally see him nerfing her, to make things interesting, I have 0 issues with her, she will be in EG and Thor one of our OGs will still be the most powerful

redacted: not even going to get into the sexist argument because that is just an easy escapegoat to point fingers on those who may have some sort of criticism over the film

I haven't seen any comments that can even be deemed sexist in any way unless you're just looking to start an argument down that road. All in all, I feel every "knock" has been pretty constructive from what I've seen.

And I know we're doing spoilers until Sunday night but I hate them:lol:

And I think ya forgetting how FIRE that Tragic Kingdom album was in that era...I think it went well, it was an empowering song, from a female led rock band....what other song from that era ya would have recommended? Please don’t say Tupac :lol:

It had to be just me but I loved every one of those scenes you just named :lol: “Higher, further, faster” line was delivered with so much swag. A clear play on “I feel the need...the need for speed” mixed with DeConnick’s sub title from the comic a few years back. Her cameo on the train was awesome by the way :lol:. The movie has some layers.

I just thought that line was cringeworthy but I can't front, I liked how Carol delivered most of her quips. Now that I think about it, she actually had a lot of one liners.:lol:

I can understand the criticisms of the film because not everyone has the same blend of humor or are moved by the same things but I found the second act of the movie the strongest because it was the most endearing. Lashana Lynch really brought everything down to earth for what was kind of absurd in the beginning with everything going on. She was someone that was traumatized that her best friend not only was presumed dead but never had her body recovered. Amelia Earhart vibes out of nowhere and she was not feeling the whole super power thing. She just wanted her best friend/family back. I loved how Carol’s best friend was a black girl which brings her black girl attitude in the film full circle, though I’m sure that wasn’t intentional in the film :lol: just my own personal head canon along with me thinking Brie is a Queen of Spades forreal. Also I don’t understand why people keep saying in reviews that Brie has no problems or struggles. Girl doesn’t even know who she is? She’s failed at so many aspects of her life because she wanted to be equal to her male counterparts. She couldn’t even keep her mentor alive cause her fighter pilot skills weren’t good enough and she wanted so bad to get that opportunity to fly the test aircraft. The more the movie marinates the more I’m loving it.

I have no issue with criticism of acting, flat punchlines, product placement, but *****ing about “I’m Just a Girl” as the song of choice for when she had her “God Of Thunder” moment as being “toooo on the nose” is pretty much saying, “hey y’all need to scale down on the WOMENVIBE, I didn’t need the reminder” and coming from a man, that’s a bit sexist....song is a classic of the era, on one of the best albums of that time....no issues at all with that choice, imo they didn’t need to be subtle or apologetic about it.

I'll be honest, sometimes the female empowerment thing does come off a bit forced, but that probably has more to do with my bias and the decades I have of Hollywood conditioning.

All that matters is that those moments landed for the little girls in the audience.

Why exactly didn’t they “need” to?

because that is not good movie making and there is a reason people say the movie is "too in the nose"

there's really no better example when they shoehorned that music in the end just because the lyrics says "im just a girl", the music didn't fit and didnt need that music to drive the point even further

doesn't matter how "fire" the damn album is, you got to make the music fit, Gunn did it with GotG, SS tried to do it and failed

this isn't a sexist criticism, its a movie making criticism and how the music made you feel watching the scene and how it just puts it over the top

WW didn't slap you with the "girl power" message the whole film and that had an island full of amazon :lol:

you didnt need that song to drive the point home further after what they've told us

again i am not going to get much into this because its a cop out excuse to use for those who criticize the film, its too easy to point that finger just because someone disagrees with you about the film

I'll be honest, sometimes the female empowerment thing does come off a bit forced, but that probably has more to do with my bias and the decades I have of Hollywood conditioning.

All that matters is that those moments landed for the little girls in the audience.

THANK YOU! MCU is a decade + old and just now is that little girls get their Capt Marvel and here we are as men, talmbout “chill bruh I didn’t need to be smacked in the face with the most feminist song of the 90’s to culminate the second she became empowered, that’s toooo much for me” :lol:

That’s pretty dope, the MCU is legit expanding under our noses....they’ve introduced a couple of kids already

So now it seems the MCU is creating one hero per stone

Vision - Mind Stone
SW - power stone
Capt M - space stone
Adam - Soul stone
Strange - Time stone

Just missing the reality stone..

Twins were made from Mind Stone where Tony found the scepter in Age of Ultron

Power Stone has never sniffed Earth

Warlock and Soul Stone have no connection in the MCU as of yet but we'll see...

because that is not good movie making and there is a reason people say the movie is "too in the nose"

there's really no better example when they shoehorned that music in the end just because the lyrics says "im just a girl", the music didn't fit and didnt need that music to drive the point even further

doesn't matter how "fire" the damn album is, you got to make the music fit, Gunn did it with GotG, SS tried to do it and failed

this isn't a sexist criticism, its a movie making criticism and how the music made you feel watching the scene and how it just puts it over the top

WW didn't slap you with the "girl power" message the whole film and that had an island full of amazon :lol:

you didnt need that song to drive the point home further after what they've told us

again i am not going to get much into this because its a cop out excuse to use for those who criticize the film, its too easy to point that finger just because someone disagrees with you about the film

I keep hearing Gunn and GOtG brought up as comparison, which is pretty unfaired considering how music was such a central part of GOTG and Quills arc, those music tapes is literally all he had from his mother, so of course music had to be well thought out and dead front center of that movie, the movies are labeled by Volumes for Gods sake....here it was just that! They picked a fire girl song from the 90’s and blasted it while she kicked ***, I don’t think it was ever meant to be subtle, it was meant to be on the nose, it was meant to be fun and colorful because this is Marvel NOT DC, so let’s drop the WW comparisons while we at it, you acting like that scene needed to rely heavily on the choice of music, we were watching a brawl unfold, is like a fight at a bar and someone turned the jukebox on.

I can understand the criticisms of the film because not everyone has the same blend of humor or are moved by the same things but I found the second act of the movie the strongest because it was the most endearing. Lashana Lynch really brought everything down to earth for what was kind of absurd in the beginning with everything going on. She was someone that was traumatized that her best friend not only was presumed dead but never had her body recovered. Amelia Earhart vibes out of nowhere and she was not feeling the whole super power thing. She just wanted her best friend/family back. I loved how Carol’s best friend was a black girl which brings her black girl attitude in the film full circle, though I’m sure that wasn’t intentional in the film :lol: just my own personal head canon along with me thinking Brie is a Queen of Spades forreal. Also I don’t understand why people keep saying in reviews that Brie has no problems or struggles. Girl doesn’t even know who she is? She’s failed at so many aspects of her life because she wanted to be equal to her male counterparts. She couldn’t even keep her mentor alive cause her fighter pilot skills weren’t good enough and she wanted so bad to get that opportunity to fly the test aircraft. The more the movie marinates the more I’m loving it.

I liked Lynch. I remember thinking she was the most standout actress in the movie because she was the serious counter part to play off Brie's stoic demeanor. I was expecting that from Sam but I guess it makes sense he was still young so he's not full on the Agent Fury we've known since the first Avengers movie.

I also did wanna mention Brie did come across to me like she had a lot of "sass", but I'm always careful with how I word things online because I know someone will take it out of context and it spirals into something else:lol: But pretty much this.

THANK YOU! MCU is a decade + old and just now is that little girls get their Capt Marvel and here we are as men, talmbout “chill bruh I didn’t need to be smacked in the face with the most feminist song of the 90’s to culminate the second she became empowered, that’s toooo much for me” :lol:
I think we all gotta take a moment to realize this isn't for us. I mean, it's for us all of course, but this has a clear message specifically to little girls, who have been undeserved in the comic book movie era.

I know there was a lot of pushback from edgy incel-bois solely because of the feminine aspect of the film. I haven't followed it much, though. I don't recall seeing a lot of it here.

I do think the heavy handedness of it all is a valid complaint. I wouldn't just group those dudes with the virgins who are angry at women.:lol:

Movie was decent. It suffered from trying to do too much, I think. They should have laid more groundwork in previous movies. That's what makes the transition between characters so smooth. Felt like they just introduced us to her in this movie and threw us into her world.

The flashbacks weren't hard to follow, but I think they made the movie feel a bit cluttered.

5/8.

Last edited:
Reactions: wr

you dont get that the song didnt fit

this is where nt irks me, you're not going to read others opinions no matter how valid it is

did you want to get slapped with the "mutant and proud" schtick every five minutes with the First Class?

hell most criticism wasn't even saying the movie is horrible because of the "girl power" theme, just that they could with less of it and there are better ways of doing it but yall want to cape too much like bries gon' give you head if you change enough dudes minds :lol:

I keep hearing Gunn and GOtG brought up as comparison, which is pretty unfaired considering how music was such a central part of GOTG and Quills arc, those music tapes is literally all he had from his mother, so of course music had to be well thought out and dead front center of that movie, the movies are labeled by Volumes for Gods sake....here it was just that! They picked a fire girl song from the 90’s and blasted it while she kicked ***, I don’t think it was ever meant to be subtle, it was meant to be on the nose, it was meant to be fun and colorful because this is Marvel NOT DC, so let’s drop the WW comparisons while we at it, you acting like that scene needed to rely heavily on the choice of music, we were watching a brawl unfold, is like a fight at a bar and someone turned the jukebox on.

again, thats not how movies work, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work

it doesn't matter if gotg has that music arc, the music chosen still worked with every scene and it helped that the movie was really out there and humor was all over the place

and if it was meant to be on the nose then the complaint is even more valid, the criticism is it's too much in your face and people didn't want that

it this is the point then you can't use this as a point as they set out to do it and it worked but if people didn't like it then that's how it is:

“chill bruh I didn’t need to be smacked in the face with the most feminist song of the 90’s to culminate the second she became empowered, that’s toooo much for me”

BvS also meant to shove "martha" in your face but are you going to argue the movie was good because thats what snyder meant to do?

directors and movie makers always tries to emphasize their point to films but that isnt a valid excuse to justify the film should be good or that those decisions were good

remove that song and put a fitting song or simple music in there and they're good

i loved how she just blasted yonn rog in the end and said "i dont need to prove anything to you" instead of the cliche of fighting him hand to hand and beating him that way

I have no issue with criticism of acting, flat punchlines, product placement, but *****ing about “I’m Just a Girl” as the song of choice for when she had her “God Of Thunder” moment as being “toooo on the nose” is pretty much saying, “hey y’all need to scale down on the WOMENVIBE, I didn’t need the reminder” and coming from a man, that’s a bit sexist....song is a classic of the era, on one of the best albums of that time....no issues at all with that choice, imo they didn’t need to be subtle or apologetic about it.
Word.

They don't need to apologize for it.

For me, it didn't work, but I'm a 33 yr old man.

Maybe there's a 10 yr old girl out there who got pumped after that I'm just a girl song scene. And that's great.

I agree with this, but here's a distinction I make.
I didn't need it, but I can't imagine how that landed with a girl watching her first female superhero movie. It may not land with me because I'm 33 and a dude and am watching every film through a much more critical lens.

I agree with the criticism, but we gotta know that those moments aren't for us...and that's cool.

I agree with this, but here's a distinction I make.

I didn't need it, but I can't imagine how that landed with a girl watching her first female superhero movie. It may not land with me because I'm 33 and a dude and am watching every film through a much more critical lens.

I agree with the criticism, but we gotta know that those moments aren't for us...and that's cool.

look i get it and that is fine, it really is but if you are watching the movie for you and you go on an online forum saying it didn't work for you, why does that make you sexist?

if i dont like part of the film, ill say it objectively, it took me out of the scene because it felt out of place and shoehorned

if they played "no scrubs" or "jumpin jumpin" (maybe thats 2000's?) or "i feel like a woman" by shania twain in there instead of no doubt, id say that didn't fit the scene either :lol:

if there isn't a song that fit that scene to convey more female power, then dont force it

Marvel Studios is attempting to expand their audience. That means sometimes there's going to be stuff in the movie we can't relate to.

It's going to be a slippery slope, cuz men is still the majority of the fanbase so they need to appease both without turning off the other, and I think they might've done a good job.

There's going to be a section of men that will be pissed off no matter what and they're currently trying to tank the RT score as we speak, without likely having seen the movie, but there's nothing we can do about that. No pleasing them :lol:

I have a feeling there was supposed to be more during that biker scene when she was asked to smile. I've seen her filmed fighting that biker but I think Marvel must've figured that'd have triggered too many men so they took it out

just saw CM last night. i enjoyed the movie. i though her character was written too militant but when i compare it to the comics thats kinda how she was in civil war 2 in my opinion.

RFX completely missing the point, Mutants and Martha aren’t real bro, you can criticize that all you want because there isn’t gonna be a mutant sitting in the theater or at home that’s gonna somehow relate to what’s on screen....you are a man, criticizing a film unapologetically advertised and made for WOMEN....not on the merits of the acting performances or writing, but shaming it for the choice of song being TOO ON THE NOSE, with a feminist movement you as man shouldn’t feel any pride in, that moment wasn’t made for you bro and guess what, girls in my theater legit cheered at that scene with that song...so for what it was intended IT WORKED.

I’m not black, so I will never criticize BP for being too black, that’s actually what I respected most about the film, it was unapologetically black....it was advertised as such, it was made as such, and that’s not something as a non black man have any room to critique because plenty of black kids and black marvel fans got their shine....**** did they have to have Miles mom speak Spanish to him in Spiderverse? Hell nah...maybe to some that was tooooo in the nose, for me, I felt that pride in sure some female marvel fans felt.

Some things are not up for criticism, they were intended to drive a point home, this was a girlpower move on Marvels end and that song was meant to be on the nose and never subtle.

Back
Top Bottom