Well Goodbye MSNBC

[h1]MSNBC, Olbermann Call It Quits, Cancel Show[/h1]
Cable host Keith Olbermann and news channel MSNBC abruptly parted ways on Friday night, as the network announced that his contract had ended and the last installment of his show would air that evening.

The surprise announcement strips MSNBC of its most-watched evening anchor after an increasingly tempestuous relationship, coming less than three months after the network briefly suspended the fiery host.

"MSNBC thanks Keith for his integral role in MSNBC's success and we wish him well in his future endeavors," the network said in an emailed statement just before the end of Mr. Olbermann's program.

MSNBC and Mr. Olbermann have been discussing ending his contract for some time, according to a person familiar with the matter. Neither side offered an explanation for their split. On the air, Mr. Olbermann said Friday would be his last show, and thanked viewers and staff.

The quick change Friday set off a game of musical chairs, as MSNBC moved to fill the hole Mr. Olbermann will leave behind. The network said its 10 p.m. host Lawrence O'Donnell would move into Mr. Olbermann's slot 8 p.m. slot beginning on Monday.

Meanwhile radio host Ed Schultz, who has hosted a 6 p.m. show on MSNBC since 2009, will take over Mr. O'Donnell's 10 p.m. time slot.

Executives have said tensions between Mr. Olbermann and the network have been running high since their spat in November, when the host was suspended for making three donations to Democratic candidates without seeking approval beforehand.

Mr. Olbermann missed two broadcasts during his suspension. MSNBC asked Mr. Olbermann to make a public apology for running afoul of its ethics rules before reinstating him, according to a person familiar with the matter. But Mr. Olbermann resisted so long as MSNBC kept him suspended, the person said.

After MSNBC lifted its suspension, Mr. Olbermann released a statement apologizing to viewers. But at least some senior executives and others at the network remained angry over Mr. Olbermann's behavior, before and during the affair, a person familiar with their thinking said at the time.

Mr. Olbermann averaged 1 million viewers in 2010 in the 8 p.m. hour, according to Nielsen Co. figures from MSNBC, a distant second to Fox News's Bill O'Reilly, but nearly double what Time Warner Inc.'s CNN averaged against him in the hour. (News Corp. owns both Fox News and the Wall Street Journal.)

Mr. Olbermann's exit comes on the eve of Comcast Corp.'s takeover of network parent NBC Universal, in a deal that received regulatory approval in Washington earlier this week.

An MSNBC spokesman said that Comcast was informed of the decision, but not involved in making it.

Their highest rated show... Their only regularly interesting show...And Comcast kills it day 1... MSNBC is going to clean the rest of the house soon and become FoxNews lite...   Maddow is going to be the next to go when Comcast doesn't like 1 thing they like..

Corporations FTL Again..

[h1]MSNBC, Olbermann Call It Quits, Cancel Show[/h1]
Cable host Keith Olbermann and news channel MSNBC abruptly parted ways on Friday night, as the network announced that his contract had ended and the last installment of his show would air that evening.

The surprise announcement strips MSNBC of its most-watched evening anchor after an increasingly tempestuous relationship, coming less than three months after the network briefly suspended the fiery host.

"MSNBC thanks Keith for his integral role in MSNBC's success and we wish him well in his future endeavors," the network said in an emailed statement just before the end of Mr. Olbermann's program.

MSNBC and Mr. Olbermann have been discussing ending his contract for some time, according to a person familiar with the matter. Neither side offered an explanation for their split. On the air, Mr. Olbermann said Friday would be his last show, and thanked viewers and staff.

The quick change Friday set off a game of musical chairs, as MSNBC moved to fill the hole Mr. Olbermann will leave behind. The network said its 10 p.m. host Lawrence O'Donnell would move into Mr. Olbermann's slot 8 p.m. slot beginning on Monday.

Meanwhile radio host Ed Schultz, who has hosted a 6 p.m. show on MSNBC since 2009, will take over Mr. O'Donnell's 10 p.m. time slot.

Executives have said tensions between Mr. Olbermann and the network have been running high since their spat in November, when the host was suspended for making three donations to Democratic candidates without seeking approval beforehand.

Mr. Olbermann missed two broadcasts during his suspension. MSNBC asked Mr. Olbermann to make a public apology for running afoul of its ethics rules before reinstating him, according to a person familiar with the matter. But Mr. Olbermann resisted so long as MSNBC kept him suspended, the person said.

After MSNBC lifted its suspension, Mr. Olbermann released a statement apologizing to viewers. But at least some senior executives and others at the network remained angry over Mr. Olbermann's behavior, before and during the affair, a person familiar with their thinking said at the time.

Mr. Olbermann averaged 1 million viewers in 2010 in the 8 p.m. hour, according to Nielsen Co. figures from MSNBC, a distant second to Fox News's Bill O'Reilly, but nearly double what Time Warner Inc.'s CNN averaged against him in the hour. (News Corp. owns both Fox News and the Wall Street Journal.)

Mr. Olbermann's exit comes on the eve of Comcast Corp.'s takeover of network parent NBC Universal, in a deal that received regulatory approval in Washington earlier this week.

An MSNBC spokesman said that Comcast was informed of the decision, but not involved in making it.

Their highest rated show... Their only regularly interesting show...And Comcast kills it day 1... MSNBC is going to clean the rest of the house soon and become FoxNews lite...   Maddow is going to be the next to go when Comcast doesn't like 1 thing they like..

Corporations FTL Again..

Sucks, I like that dude Maddow's show. His show is pretty entertaining. 

Originally Posted by rashi

Where trying to be funny, ends up in being an *#+#!*+..

Originally Posted by prymone

as long as they dont fire chris hanson thats the main programs i watch on msnbc
TCAP hasn't been running new shows since like 2007 or 2008... All the shows you are watching have been repeats.

TCAP hasn't been running new shows since like 2007 or 2008... All the shows you are watching have been repeats.

Originally Posted by Essential1

laugh.gif
You take this stuff waaaay too seriously.

laugh.gif
You take this stuff waaaay too seriously.

Why shouldn't I?? A CEO who donates to conservative causes buys a channel that has a liberal viewpoint.. Then proceeds to fire the most important, influential, and highest rated commentator of sed channel on day 1..

Why shouldn't I?? A CEO who donates to conservative causes buys a channel that has a liberal viewpoint.. Then proceeds to fire the most important, influential, and highest rated commentator of sed channel on day 1..

He does other reports, not just predator. As long as they keep lock up going I'm good

Originally Posted by RicanChulo

Cant blame MSNBC the Factor quadruples Olbys ratings on the regular
Because of demographics... Most older people tend to be conservative... And most older people are more likely to watch News at a primetime hour of 8pm.. Most College Kids/Middle aged people will either watch a sitcom or will be out..

Simple as that..

Look at 25-54 demo and it is a good portion of Olberman's viwership, and very close to O'Reilly's..  When you look at 54+ O'Reilly out rated him by a lot..

Hence why you get him beating him in ratings.

If you had the same percentages of 25-54 watching News at 8pm that do at 54+, that ratings gap would be far less

Originally Posted by RicanChulo

Cant blame MSNBC the Factor quadruples Olbys ratings on the regular
Because of demographics... Most older people tend to be conservative... And most older people are more likely to watch News at a primetime hour of 8pm.. Most College Kids/Middle aged people will either watch a sitcom or will be out..

Simple as that..

Look at 25-54 demo and it is a good portion of Olberman's viwership, and very close to O'Reilly's..  When you look at 54+ O'Reilly out rated him by a lot..

Hence why you get him beating him in ratings.

If you had the same percentages of 25-54 watching News at 8pm that do at 54+, that ratings gap would be far less

He does other reports, not just predator. As long as they keep lock up going I'm good

Back
Top Bottom