What are people thinking when naming their kids?

Originally Posted by dakid23

2ppni1j.jpg
the dash be silent LOL
eyes.gif

black women you've got to do better

My last name is difficult enough to pronounce. I plan on giving my kids easy names. I do want to name one Koston though since Eric Koston is my favorite skater. But i suck balls at skating. I think the name is badass though

Originally Posted by scshift

I've seen all kinds of people with strange names, everyone in here is talking about Black people but I've met upper class white people with names like Gunnar, Georgette, Hunter, etc. It's not that they're bad, but what is the reasoning for naming a kid "Gunnar"? Cause it sounds cool? I mean I honestly think the name Megatron is cool as hell but I'm sure as hell not naming anyone that 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

And what's wrong with giving your kid a certain name so he has a higher chance of success (not sure that's even proven but assuming it is)? The people who are saying that's stupid, you think making moves to be successful is bad? Please... everyone "conforms" so they can be successful. Why do people wear suits and ties to events, cause it's comfortable? Why can't you swear and scream in the office place or at school? Why don't you talk back to your boss and make jokes at him? People saying that no one should conform to be successful, well I'm sure you do it every day.

For the record, not doing something just because of other people doing it, is the same as doing something cause other people are doing it.

please dont say everybody conforms. the point I was making was name your kid whatever you want and dont worry about how idiots will receive it in the future. If wearing a suit and tie really went against how I felt and made me unhappy, I wouldnt do it. Id find anotehr way of life. If naming your child lequanda really makes you happy, go for it. and screw everybody else who may have a problem with it. And you tell your child to do the same with people who make fun of their name.

^ You can't have that mindset with naming children, The world wasn't made to fit your child. People will have a problem with far out names in the business world, sad world we leave in but it's true. My children will have unique names within a range that will allow them corporate jobs, if they choice. My choice of name shouldn't limit their job choice but it does and I will take that in to account.

Originally Posted by blakep267

please dont say everybody conforms. the point I was making was name your kid whatever you want and dont worry about how idiots will receive it in the future. If wearing a suit and tie really went against how I felt and made me unhappy, I wouldnt do it. Id find anotehr way of life. If naming your child lequanda really makes you happy, go for it. and screw everybody else who may have a problem with it. And you tell your child to do the same with people who make fun of their name.

Good luck telling your kid to tell his interviewers to "screw off" every time he gets turned down a job when statistics are in your face. Actually, he/she would probably be lucky enough just to hear back or get an interview from the interviewers if their name is deviant enough.

Name your kid whatever makes you feel good. But don't expect the people in charge to change their mindset about it.

Good luck telling your kid to tell his interviewers to "screw off" every time he gets turned down a job when statistics are in your face. Actually, he/she would probably be lucky enough just to hear back or get an interview from the interviewers if their name is deviant enough.

Name your kid whatever makes you feel good. But don't expect the people in charge to change their mindset about it.
Yep. Not to mention good luck telling your kid to just accept whatever, especially the stigma and stereotypes that are applied with that name. Once they're done being ridiculed and made fun of for 18 years, they'll be sure to feel real good about you as a parent.
laugh.gif

Show me the statistics.And plus if that's the case and I don't think it is honestly, one can have a "business" first name. Bobby Jindal's real first name is Piyush.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Show me the statistics.And plus if that's the case and I don't think it is honestly, one can have a "business" first name. Bobby Jindal's real first name is Piyush.

http://www.nber.org/digest/sep03/w9873.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/st...ational/main575685.shtml

http://filipspagnoli.word...um/statistics-on-racism/

People with "normal" names are more likely to get jobs than those with different-sounding names. And you have never noticed this? At a store or an office, how many "different" names do you come across in comparison to "normal", common names?

Show me the statistics. And plus if that's the case and I don't think it is honestly, one can have a "business" first name. Bobby Jindal's real first name is Piyush.

People with "normal" names are more likely to get jobs than those with different-sounding names. And you have never noticed this? At a store or an office, how many "different" names do you come across in comparison to "normal", common names?

And how do you suggest we change this? 

Should we just "deal with it" and name all our kids Jim, Donald, Bob.  Sue, Rebecca, Lisa?
grin.gif

Diversity will improve alot of problems over time. If my kid has a great resume and is a great interview then I have confidence he will get a job in 2032.  Sorry I'm not about to play it "safe".  It might be harder but so what.

Originally Posted by MonStar1

And how do you suggest we change this? 

Should we just "deal with it" and name all our kids Jim, Donald, Bob.  Sue, Rebecca, Lisa?
grin.gif

Diversity will improve alot of problems over time. If my kid has a great resume and is a great interview then I have confidence he will get a job in 2032.  Sorry I'm not about to play it "safe".  It might be harder but so what.

I don't know how you can change the entire trend, or even if you can. I'm not the employer, and I feel like any employer who overlooks someone cause of their name (of all things, the name, really?) is a fool. But people have their reasons. If they don't like your kid's name, what can you do about it?

Otherwise, I'd say do what you said. Help your kid get such a good resume and skills that people can't turn him down.

So this thread really is about black people. It's not about names at all. Basically avoid telling people you're black. This is my only observation from what's been posted. I don't see anything about Asian names being rejected. What about European names? Anything on Vladislav being a negative?

I already posted a study (Fryer/Levitt) that has been re-cited. Re-read the conclusion. I don't think you get it. Consequence, not cause."The data do appear to show that a poor woman's daughter is more likely to be poor when she gives birth herself - but no more so because she has a distinctively black name.To Fryer, that suggests black parents shouldn't be afraid to choose ethnic names. It also, he says, suggests more broadly that for blacks to improve economically, they don't have to change their culture, but should push for greater integration in society."It's not really that you're named Kayesha that matters, it's that you live in a community where you're likely to get that name that matters," Fryer said."Google and copypasta links huh?

So this thread really is about black people. It's not about names at all. Basically avoid telling people you're black. This is my only observation from what's been posted. I don't see anything about Asian names being rejected. What about European names? Anything on Vladislav being a negative?

I already posted a study (Fryer/Levitt) that has been re-cited. Re-read the conclusion. I don't think you get it. Consequence, not cause."The data do appear to show that a poor woman's daughter is more likely to be poor when she gives birth herself - but no more so because she has a distinctively black name.To Fryer, that suggests black parents shouldn't be afraid to choose ethnic names. It also, he says, suggests more broadly that for blacks to improve economically, they don't have to change their culture, but should push for greater integration in society."It's not really that you're named Kayesha that matters, it's that you live in a community where you're likely to get that name that matters," Fryer said."Google and copypasta links huh?

Can you even find me a study regarding Asian or Eastern European names and their effects on employment? Not even one where they're viewed as positive, but just one where they're even taken into account?

And Google + copypasta is my bread and butter.

And therein lies the point broham: there probably aren't any. What does that tell you? It's not about names.

Usually the personality matches the name. There are various races that give their kids dumb @#$ names, and those kids end up being dumb @#$@# too... Every female I know/have met named Crystal are ignorant as @#$% or morbidly obese. Same thing with names with random apostrophes...by the way I'm not saying Amar'e is a hoodlum, but is that apostrophe really necessary
laugh.gif

There are MANY "black" names which aren't inappropriate/stupid, so don't say it's a race thing

Of course, as an employer, you have a resume that shows that the potential employee has alot to offer despite the ugly name, so it shouldn't matter

indifferent.gif
HankMoody wrote:

I already posted a study (Fryer/Levitt) that has been re-cited. Re-read the conclusion. I don't think you get it. Consequence, not cause. "The data do appear to show that a poor woman's daughter is more likely to be poor when she gives birth herself - but no more so because she has a distinctively black name. To Fryer, that suggests black parents shouldn't be afraid to choose ethnic names. It also, he says, suggests more broadly that for blacks to improve economically, they don't have to change their culture, but should push for greater integration in society. "It's not really that you're named Kayesha that matters, it's that you live in a community where you're likely to get that name that matters," Fryer said." Google and copypasta links huh?
Pretty much.  I said some of that earlier in this thread.   It's about the person not the name.   The name might cause some small problems for them but for the most part it doesn't.  The answer is NOT for blacks to use less "ethnic" names.  The answer is for blacks to be successful.  A black dude with the name "Jason Smith" isn't going to get a job if he's not bringing anything to the table.

i dont understand people giving kids names that they can barely pronounce let alone spell until 1st or 2nd grade, they talked about this subject on tv before (ex. in public schools)

I remember an FML where the girl found out that her dad named her the stage name of his favorite mattress actress. pretty good to me

People judge people based off their name?
laugh.gif

It's not like they picked out the name
30t6p3b.gif

Y'all should watch that name segment from the Freakonomics documentary.
Long story short, they mentioned doing an experiment on success of white vs. black names by sending out two equally identical resumes.
The only difference was one had a black name and the other had a white name. Guess which resumes had more call-backs.

Originally Posted by KMante

People judge people based off their name?
laugh.gif

It's not like they picked out the name
30t6p3b.gif

people judge people based off their color?

It's not like they picked out their color

Back
Top Bottom