What are your thoughts on working while in school full time?

If you have a full load of classes, are you also working? I'm at circuit city now and they are horrible at scheduling and actually taking note of theiremployees requesting less hours or anything of that nature. But whenever you ask for more hours, they switch that up for you immediately. I'm on the vergeof leaving because I can feel myself getting behind in my classes. Maybe it's just me, but I would much rather just have all my classes, then have the restof my time to do assignments, study, and actually have SOME time to relax.

Originally Posted by HypeBeast McStreetwear

I'm gonna work at Honda Mon-Fri 4:30-8:30 which isn't bad. You know what's best for you.

4 hours a day at a place like a dealership is a good schedule, I would do that no problem. Somethin about retail jobs just drains all your energy anddealin with ignorant customers doesn't help at all. Some days youll have 8 hours shifts, then some you have a 3 hour shift.. it makes no sense
eyes.gif

It's difficult. It actually helps people by keeping them focused. But, working too much just makes you tired all the time.

You do what you do for you. Only you know what's going to work for you. You might just have to leave CC. I mean I work at a bank and have a full scheduleat school. I work Fridays from 8am-7:30pm, Saturdays from 8am-2pm and Wednesdays 2pm-5:15pm. I mean that's 20 hours and I'm still able to handle schoolso it works for me.

Just work. It isn't all that bad; when you're out of college they will take note that you were able to go to school AND work.

Or get an internship, but those usually require at least 20 hours a week M-F from you. They are open 9-5, so you pack everything in such a small amount oftime. Some are understanding of classes, but most don't care. If you cannot meet the hours they need, they'll find someone else who can.

You should really work though - at least sometime during school. If you graduate without an internship or working, it's going to be very hard finding ajob...

Time management is the key. What are you majoring in anyway?

Originally Posted by Wikipedia

It's difficult. It actually helps people by keeping them focused.

This man speaks the truth...
My 1st & 2nd year i would just smoke, play madden, and procrastinate about doing work and kept around a 2.7

I start working 30hrs a week at a call center b/c I had an apartment, and realized i had to learn time management! and my gpa went up to around 3.1

Just find a job that will work with your school sched./ because most jobs will

My boy is doing that now and he's pretty tired...another dude at my job just started and he's a manager now so we'll see how that turns out

Its really hard, I used to work full time while goin to college full time...grades wasn't lookin too good...I still work about 30 hours a week while gointo school. I have no life. I wish I was rich or got financial aid from school or somethin, then I wouldn't be workin.

I GET 4-6 HOURS of sleep a night. I work like 25ish hours take 18 credits. Go to class everyday. I used to work 35 hours a week and take 15 credits. Stillhaven't had my avg deep below 3.0. So until then Imma keep working.

I work and go to school full time and it sucks. I always feel really tired and drained out! It's not good when you are trying to get the best gradepossible since I would have to study a lot. I would recommend not doing it but if you had to like me then there is no choice.

If you can avoid it do it. School work will suffer, and possibly hinder your earning potential in the long term depending on the field.
If you can not get by without working, then by all means do what you gotta do.

This is where reselling may be more beneficial (or at least it used to be).

I got through college by reselling. My folks helped me out with immediate bills, but they saved from the day I was born. I also had to go to a state school (inCA those are much cheaper) as they wouldn't qualify for loans.

It's demanding.. i've done it all throughout school (about 30 hours a week), and there are times when I just feel like I'd get so much more schoolwork done if I had those 30 hours a week back -- but i also know i have a tendency to relax too much if I don't keep myself busy, so I'd probably justwaste a lot of that time too.

I recommend doing it - if nothing else, you can show more experience on your resume when you get out of school - i am hearing from a lot of recent grads thatemployers are much more impressed by work experience than grades, and many kids right now will graduate without hardly any experience.

I think it's up to you.

You have the potential to make a whole lot more money AFTER education than working a part time job making changes here and there.
But if the school and work are related to one another, then I'd say go for it.

i have always worked during school ... i dunno i just need money in my life and i almost always put my work in front of my schooling cuz frankly i see realbenefits from work now, as opposed to the benefits later down the line from my college education ...

It's tough.

But you gotta make it happen.

I'm actually working full-time and going to school part time right now.

I've bee working since I was 15...even when I studied abroad and thought I'd be able to chill, I ended up getting a job. I'm takin 18 credits (maxallowed at my university) and then about 25-30 hrs a week at work. I'm tired as hell, but I'm actually thinking of getting a new job that'll bumpme to 40 hrs, because I need that money...seriously thinking about grad school abroad.

I worked AND went to school full-time for almost 3 years and even though it pays off well in the end, the road is REALLY tough. I had no choice but to do itbecause my financial situation at the time was grim. Saturdays was the only time I could go and chill with the fam/homies. 5 hours of sleep during that timewas considered a lot.

Working part time in school is fine, it's always nice to get some job experience and side cash. Full-time though, unless you're in a tight situationwhere it can't be helped, then avoid it at all costs.

it's not too bad for me since i only work 15 hours a week...i go in the mornings from 8 to about 11:15 then head off to school for the rest of the day.

I worked since my sophomore year while taking a full load of classes. If you don't NEED the money then if I were you I would focus on school (not partying)more until you can get to a point where working and school don't have a negative impact on your grades. This is not to imply that you do this, but a lot ofpeople will say "I don't work because I want to focus on my studies", all the while paying no more attention to their work but lots moreattention to their social lives. Then they end up getting caught up.

If you do need to work, I am sure there are plenty of student opportunities on campus. The great thing about student jobs is they are used to having to beflexible w/ student work schedules. Also you could potentially get a ton of experience in your major field and meet some great contacts. I don't know whymore people don't do this.

Good luck to you.

I have 18 credit hours, plus I'm an r.a. and my grades are way too important to me to get a full-time job while in college...Being an r.a. is bad enough..

It's cool, as long as you know where your #1 priority is. When I was working & going to school my boss was very flexible with my schedule. It'salways nice to have some money in the bank. There were times while I just went to school full time and it sucked being broke.

Well I work 30 hours max @ Starbucks and go to school full time and it really sucks. I'm really tired, even as I type this. Starbucks is flexible but thehours are messed up. Like, I can close one night and get home @ 3am and they'll schedule me to come in @ 9am, knowing damn well I live an hour and a half(maybe more) away. Its just tiring but it is possible. I'm trying to do good this semester because I messed up the past year and a half so I really need tomake a turn around.

Back
Top Bottom