What do you do with stolen famous artwork? Its not like it will go un-noticed

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/world/02/12/0212a3tk.html

[h1]Four masterpieces stolen in Zurich art heist[/h1][h2]Paintings by Impressionist masters are worth an estimated $163 million.

"We're talking about the biggest ever robbery carried out in Switzerland, even Europe," Zurich police spokesman Mario Cortesisaid.[/h2]
Police said the robbery occurred about 30 minutes before closing time Sunday, when three men wearing dark clothes and ski masks, one of them carrying ahandgun, entered the museum's main entrance and ordered people to lie down. As the armed man watched the door and the frightened staff, the two others wentinto a nearby exhibit hall and removed the paintings.

Museum Director Lukas Gloor said at a news conference Monday that the paintings were displayed behind glass panels and that an alarm was triggered as soonas they were touched.

The paintings - "Poppies near Vetheuil" by Monet, "Count Lepic and His Daughters" by Degas, "Blossoming Chestnut Branches" byvan Gogh and "The Boy in the Red Vest" by Cezanne - were among the most prized in the museum's 200-piece collection.

Gloor said the stolen paintings were so well-known that "on the open market, these pictures are unsellable."

Police said the three men lugged the canvases to a white vehicle parked outside and sped away.

They said one robber spoke German with a Slavic accent. A $90,000 reward is being offered for information leading to recovery of the paintings.

It was the second major art heist in the Zurich area in five days. On Feb. 6, two paintings by Pablo Picasso worth an estimated $4.5 million - "Tête deCheval" (Horse's Head) and "Verre et Pichet" (Glass and Pitcher) - were stolen from a nearby cultural center, where they were on loan from amuseum in Germany. Police said they were investigating whether the robberies were related.

The E.G. Buehrle Collection, according to its Web site, is considered one of the most important private collections of 20th-century European art, focusingprimarily on French Impressionist and post-Impressionist masterpieces.

It was amassed in the 1950s by Buehrle, a German-born industrialist who made his fortune selling weapons to the Third Reich during World War II. Today it ishoused in an 1886 villa that adjoins Buehrle's former home.

they're probably already in private galleries...never to be seen except for by the person(or persons) who paid to have them stolen.

Hang it in ya secret underground lair...

But if you aint ballin enough 2 have one of them...uh...I think tha pawn shop around here give you like $25...but they won't ask any questions
laugh.gif

I myself would roll de spliff in it...

they're probably already in private galleries...never to be seen except for by the person(or persons) who paid to have them stolen.
The Thomas Crown Affair ftw (Pierce Brosnan Remake)

swizz beats is gonna buy it.
cassidy is gonna pull his hammer out rappin in front of a monet for smack dvd

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

yea, we were talking about this in my art history class....really rich people pay really good thieves to steal expensive paintings for them most of thetime when this happens...

Yeah, there are a lot of famous paintings that have "disappeared" and are probably either in some Swiss Bank vault or in someone's privategallery.

I don't really see the point in that though - you can't show it to anyone or use it as an investment. I suppose you could sell it on to someone similar- but you'll never realise the potential of an open auction.

Crazy.
Poppies near Vetheuil, is one of my favorite paintings.

They probably sell it on the blackmarket.

Damn, that's really sad. It's a huge blow to culture that we'll never get to see these masterpieces again...

Originally Posted by AC4Three

Damn, that's really sad. It's a huge blow to culture that we'll never get to see these masterpieces again...

personally I can go a whole life without caring for art...but thats just me a photography of the original is good enough

Sometimes when you like something enough you'll try to get it no matter the obstacles. I'm into Art and Art history and sometimes a replica won'tdo. At an major Art Gallery I work at people will come in week after week and stare at the same painting for hours.

Zurich needs to get its art security game right. The actually security people at my schools museum (not the idiots that walk around and tell you not to crosscertain lines, etc.) have gats that will probably will take your head off in a shot. I don't know if they could use them considering if they did shoot youholding a painting worth a multi-millions it would probably go down a lot in value with blood all over it but I guess a bloody painting is probably better thannot having one at all.

^Also I don't think thats that weird to look at painting for hours. I don't really spend that much time looking at specific works but there arecertainly paintings and photographs I can spend probably an easy 30 mins just studying even if I've done it's painting or photograph I've seen evenin person a hundred times. While yeah most people essentially browse most museums I think to really understand a work I think you have to a: study it for anextended period of time and b: gain perspective on your own thoughts and the work itself by seeing it in person more than once.

ebayoligist were on the same page here. I'm just stating that sometimes people can become obsessed with a painting much in the same way a stalker would fora celebrity. Blood would not be that much of a problem if the painting is taken care of with varnish etc. Most of these paintings are conserved byconservationists for years.

Uh you can always treat them like jays and sell it back like 100 yrs later so that way you know your great grand kids won't have a money issue.

Back
Top Bottom