What do you guys think of Menphis Bleek's, "Coming of Age" album?

Released on 8/3/1999
Roc-A-Fella/Def Jam
I was just listening to this album for the first time a few weeks ago and I actually enjoyed it. What I'm trying to figure out, why did soooooo many people dislike this dude in regards to his music? Someone can shed some light? I don't think he was that bad of a rapper as people made him out to be. Thoughts on him and album..

View media item 1692814

Bleek wasn't disliked until the message boards really popped off and it was cool online to make fun of him for whatever reason. All of his albums were good except 534 for whatever it was called. Bleek had a fanbase and he was selling records.

This album is hard as ****. Love this album, I play it pretty often. I would give it a 4/5.

Regular Cat
Who's Sleeping?
You a Thug *****
Stay Alive
Everybody

Last edited:
Everybody was going on him because they realized he was just jayzs runner boy who was blessed with great production and features. In that era so many artists were great on their own. And them here comes this guy whose best verses were written by jayz and his best songs were jayzs throwaways

I was a fan of Bleek after his verse on Coming of Age (Da Sequel), and he had some really good albums until he dropped that dumpster known as 534. I don't remember him being slandered back then, I remember people legitimately waiting on him to break out, but he never did. It was odd to me since he was perfectly set up to do so.

Last edited:
this album is classic in my opinion but..... i hope you realize anyone familiar with this album is rarely on this board ,... i think mostly people from the earlier less evolved NT wouldn't be familiar with this album ... the album definitely shows the hunger from a young bleek but even though his follow up was successful with sells and had a hit record i or 2 IMO It still didn't live up the first for me many people felt this way

I didn't realize till a few yrs ago how young bleek was during the roc era...dude was 18/19 when this dropped

Back
Top Bottom