What exactly are "samples"

Hello NT:
Just wondering if someone could clarify what exactly is a sample? I met someone who has 2006 "Sample" Bred 4's. Is this possible? Are they legit? 

Sorry it the question is nubb. 

The "promo" ones?

Samples are basically what JB puts out that may be the final product, but could make changes before the final product releases.

Perfect example the Chicago X's sample, with the white midsole and 23 stitched on.

air-jordan-x-chicago-23-0.jpg

The reason why samples are sought after so much is because they are extremely rare and a collectors item for some.

In the case of these 10s ^ I'm glad they didn't release like that.

But to each his own, right?

Sales Samples are usually what reps show off during sales meetings so stores can see what a product may look like. If they like what they see, then they buy. In most cases (not so much anymore), samples usually come in size 9 ONLY. They can have minor to major differences in what the actual release version may end up looking like.

samples are shoes that they are thinking of producing so they make one to see how it would look

promo runs are small runs of shoes they will release, which are made to see if there should be any changes to final product.

If those Xs were released like that I would've copped. At least with respect to the soles. Don't care if Xs are retroed to not look like the originals, MJ didnt even like that model anyway.

Samples are sought after for being rare but at the same time they are not for sale. People, like mentalkicks.com who claim to be selling samples, are actually selling fakes and B grades that never made it to shelves(where do all those "restocks" come from). So be careful about people who claim to have samples.

Originally Posted by ijapino

Sales Samples are usually what reps show off during sales meetings so stores can see what a product may look like. If they like what they see, then they buy. In most cases (not so much anymore), samples usually come in size 9 ONLY. They can have minor to major differences in what the actual release version may end up looking like.
Many samples are given to celebrities and such. Not everyone wears a size 9.
for instance the IVs that buggin out was rocking when his kicks got scuffed are samples (look at the area between the tongue and the toebox)

sneaker-shots-do-the-right-thing-9.png

I am very glad that Nike decided to go with an extra thing of mesh and netting instead

Originally Posted by sunshineblotters

for instance the IVs that buggin out was rocking when his kicks got scuffed are samples (look at the area between the tongue and the toebox)

I am very glad that Nike decided to go with an extra thing of mesh and netting instead

Wow never noticed that! Learn something new everyday

Originally Posted by ideezy1023

Wow never noticed that! Learn something new everyday
Same! Thanks for the education!

those 4's your friend has a fakes, good fakes, but still fake. ebay was FLOODED with them

These are fake aren't they?
The cement on these is
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 though!!!!!

Originally Posted by super23freak

These are fake aren't they?
The cement on these is
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 though!!!!!
Like I said, not fake. Spike Lee was given a lot of jordans early, so he could force feed them to the black community. This is one version of what the IVs could've looked like if Nike had cleared this version instead of the extra mesh version.
Tech Grey >>>>>>>>>>> Cement Grey. I wear my WCs a lot more than I though, because I am simply not happy with the wrong shade of grey they used.

samples are like prototypes to check how the shoe looks like in real. Sometimes samples wont have changes later on but
often the production version is changed.
Here are some cases where the final product looks different to samples which were leaked:
AJ 6 retro 2000: samples and even the pics sent to retailers had the midsole painting reversed and the box even says Retro+
But in the end, JB painted them like the OGs.
AJ 16 white/navy: samples had navy jumpman logo and some parts of the outsole were yellow. final product has shell jumpman logo
like the black/reds and the yellow parts are orange.
AJ 20 white/red-black sample had leather upper and the riffles were not there. But the final product uses patent/TPU and riffled
at the forefoot.

Back
Top Bottom