What Happened To Kung Fu Movies?

So I was watching Master of The Flying Guillotine earlier today (classic btw) and I got to thinking about how there haven't been any really good Kung fu movies as of late. That last major one I remember was The Raid 2 (also great). But that's it. We don't have anymore things dropping like Hero, Crouching Tiger, Fearless etc... Is there no longer an audience for them? I believe Jet Li and Jackie Chan have retired but one would think Hollywood would find a new face of Kung fu for the American public. Or maybe I just have to look harder.

Thoughts?

"Ip Man" is the only King-Fu series alive. I think the corny effects and acrobatics became tacky & lame over time.

Crouching Tiger had a sequel come out on Netflix a couple months ago.

I don't think you're gonna get another martial arts film coming out of Hollywood itself tho.

From Jackie:

I think, slowly, slowly, the real action’s gone. Really. Because, now we still have a few people who do the real stunts, the real action like Hong Bang, like me, like Sammo Hung and others. But, when these people are gone, when we retire, I think it’s going to be difficult because the real action is really, really difficult! But, in America they’re so good! They’re so clever! They can use special effects and computer graphics to make everybody become an action star. Even you can be an action in America! But, I wanted to do this kind of things when I was young. We didn’t have money and we had to do the real stunts. We had to jump from one building to the other… I cracked my feet, I broke my finger, I broke everything. But, when I made money, I had money to do special effects but the audience didn’t like it! They wanted to see Jackie Chan hurt himself! They wanted to see Jackie Chan do the real thing. They just don’t like to see Jackie do Superman. Spiderman is so easy, right? I want to do it! Directors hire me! But, no director wants to hire me to do this kind of thing. They want me to do “Rush Hour,” “Rush Hour 2” and “Rush Hour 3.” They still want me to do this kind of things but I think that after Sammo Hung, these guys and me… after we retire, the young generations will slowly change because they have already learned how to use special effects, how to use the tricks. Poor me! I will continue to do that for another five years I think, and then after five years, adios. Then, I’ll do a romance film!

Because martial arts films are difficult to shoot, it’s not easy, you know. You have to have an actor who can really fight and then you can do “Papapapapammm” [Chan shows a move] and use a sword for everything. But, honestly, in Hollywood, not many actors know martial arts! Maybe they know action like Tom Cruise, Sylvester Stallone – they like boxing, that’s a different kind. So, if they use a special effect, like in Batman or Superman, good, they can use a special effect to do all kinds of action.
Sometimes, the action is even better than my action! Like in “300,” I was like “Wow! That’s so good!” So, they spend a lot of money to create this kind of action and I think it’s ten times better than mine but they don’t really use the action. Liam Neeson, for instance, is not an action star, but they can use a small shot and make him become an action star. There’s actor action star and there’s action star. It’s different. Now, Liam Neeson is an actor action star. First, he can act and his action is easy. There’s easy action and difficult action and easy action is just like Matt Damon and “Bourne Identity.” They can use a camera and “Papapapapammm” [Chan shows a move] and, it’s so good! And, even I see it and I’m like, “Wow! Matt Damon can fight that good!” My kind of action is the difficult action. But, the audience doesn’t know that. They just want to see good or bad, that’s all!

Last edited:
"Ip Man" is the only King-Fu series alive. I think the corny effects and acrobatics became tacky & lame over time.

Lame how? There's supposed to be some kind of suspension of reality when watching them.

Mos def it does. Think action movies in general are gonna take notice from the things the raid did

I mentioned The Raid movies, those are the only major martial arts flicks that have come out in theaters semi recently.

Crouching Tiger had a sequel come out on Netflix a couple months ago.

I don't think you're gonna get another martial arts film coming out of Hollywood itself tho.

From Jackie:

Yeah I saw when I googled those others. Crouching Tiger was a classic. One would think its sequel would be worthy of a theatrical release.

Damn, I feel what Jackie is saying and it's a damn shame. They shouldn't allow that real action to star because true fans actually appreciate the effort it takes to do that. I've seen some of Jackie Chan's outtakes and he really be ****** himself up. That's dedication. And honestly the fight choreography in Kung fu movies is infinitely better that what we get in Hollywood action movies now.

The Raid 2 kitchen fight scenes > any Marvel, DC, Mission Impossible etc... action scenes.

Last edited:
Kung Fu flicks still get made.... in Asia. For some reason they just don't get the crossover attention they use to.

Its like things came to a head where everything was focused on Jet Li and Jackie Chan and then when they got old nobody else kept it moving and the market did not open back up.

The Raids and Ip Mans have to really get that following over here in the states. I know it was only until The Raid 2 came out I had to put myself on to The Raid. So it makes sense I'd miss out on the Ruroni Kenshin movies until recently.

To a more direct point, martial arts flicks in general (ppl accepting JVD and Segal being fighting experts and stars) has been on the decline. We can have a Snipes who was doing it big for a movie or two but the genre been dead except for the Kill Bill movies which were a huge shot in the arm but nobody else picked up on that and ran with it to see any real success as far as American filmmakers go.

Last edited:
Kung Fu flicks still get made.... in Asia. For some reason they just don't get the crossover attention they use to.

Its like things came to a head where everything was focused on Jet Li and Jackie Chan and then when they got old nobody else kept it moving and the market did not open back up.

The Raids and Ip Mans have to really get that following over here in the states. I know it was only until The Raid 2 came out I had to put myself on to The Raid. So it makes sense I'd miss out on the Ruroni Kenshin movies until recently.

To a more direct point, martial arts flicks in general (ppl accepting JVD and Segal being fighting experts and stars) has been on the decline. We can have a Snipes who was doing it big for a movie or two but the genre been dead except for the Kill Bill movies which were a huge shot in the arm but nobody else picked up on that and ran with it to see any real success as far as American filmmakers go.

Rurouni Kenshin...one of top 5 animes. Michael Jai White also has movies coming out. But his movies like thwe acrobatics and fight choreography of some of Asian films of earlier years. But I can appreciate what he does. I believe he's in another Never Back Down sequel thato came out this year.

Also we had Ninja Assassin which I loved but it got terrible reviews but I think enough people liked it to warrant a sequel.

But yeah, I agree, looks like Hollywood and the general public have just lost interest in making the movies are just bringing the foreign movies.

I remember back in the day I used to play fight with my friends and we'd imitate the Kung full dialogue with the poor English dubbing (voice over but the actors lips are still moving) I feel like this newer generation wouldn't even get those jokes. Damn shame.

Lame how? There's supposed to be some kind of suspension of reality when watching them.
I mentioned The Raid movies, those are the only major martial arts flicks that have come out in theaters semi recently.
Yeah I saw when I googled those others. Crouching Tiger was a classic. One would think its sequel would be worthy of a theatrical release.

Damn, I feel what Jackie is saying and it's a damn shame. They shouldn't allow that real action to star because true fans actually appreciate the effort it takes to do that. I've seen some of Jackie Chan's outtakes and he really be ****** himself up. That's dedication. And honestly the fight choreography in Kung fu movies is infinitely better that what we get in Hollywood action movies now.

The Raid 2 kitchen fight scenes > any Marvel, DC, Mission Impossible etc... action scenes.

Yeah they just became tired and not enough big stars taking the lead roles. Like homie said, overseas they are still sought after but in the states, nahhhhh people have moved on.

Yeah they just became tired and not enough big stars taking the lead roles. Like homie said, overseas they are still sought after but in the states, nahhhhh people have moved on.

And studio execs aren't gonna take a chance on an Asian lead.

^ Again to get that automatic green light, the guy would have to have Jackie Chan appeal. We're probably never getting another star like Jackie. At the least, the very least, you'd need some Jet Li legitmacy and that takes a while to earn.

Dude like homey from Ong Bak tried but it ain't go far. Same for the dude who was the lead in The Raid.

Rico when I say Ruroni Kenshin (which is a great anime and manga) I was referring to the live action movie which is the closest thing to the action from the anime. **** had me like :wow:

While the movies dont have every fight (cmon it was a pretty long journey) the level sword fight choreography was just amazing.

Last edited:
Watched blood and bone the other day. Michael Jai White is that dude. He should get more roles.

Kung Fu got exposed when MMA got popular. It's just not a very effective style of fighting these days. Your average goon with a little bit of MMA training can deal with Kung Fu quite easily. It's no longer impressive to see it in film.

Last edited:
Kung Fu got exposed when MMA got popular. It's just not a very effective style of fighting these days. Your average goon with a little bit of MMA training can deal with Kung Fu quite easily. It's no longer impressive to see it in film.
MMA ain't never been impressive to see in film though.

Also, it seems like your using Kung Fu to encompass all of a certain type of martial arts.

Last edited:
Seen both kill bills the other day, also a dope movie. BTW someone who actually devotes their life to Martial arts will whoop an Mma fighter with ease, and I'm not talking the take a free karate class twice a week after work type of person either. I mean wake up 5am, train until night every day type of devotion

Wait homie really said MMA messed up martial arts movies? :lol:

As in entire movies where the fight choreography is dudes rolling around the floor?

I think the problem in general is a combination of cgi super hero movies giving people their fix of action, and the lack of new blood action stars with mainstream appeal.

The problem goes beyond martial arts movies. Nobody really ever even replaced the Stallone, Arnold megastar types until The Rock recently where you can give them a piece of **** script and their presence can carry a movie. Jackie Chan is super charismatic and likable in addition to his skills, which has proven so far to be impossible to replace.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom