What Happens to Asian-Americans when the test-taking ends? (Long read)

Originally Posted by DwyaneWadeOG

and smart =/= hard working.

Raw talent can only get you so far. I feel like hard work is what distinguishes the top 1% from each other.

Well said.....

Looking at sports as an example, there are very few GREATS who became great off talent alone. And a lot of average "athletes" become great by outworking the next man.

Originally Posted by DwyaneWadeOG

and smart =/= hard working.

Raw talent can only get you so far. I feel like hard work is what distinguishes the top 1% from each other.

Well said.....

Looking at sports as an example, there are very few GREATS who became great off talent alone. And a lot of average "athletes" become great by outworking the next man.

Originally Posted by kiendienn

boring read. asians passive upbringing leads to asians with no balls in the business world. they don't stand up for themselves and take risks in the business world, so they maintain the stereotype that they can easily be pushed around.

they blame the parents which is partly true, but they need to man up themselves

This. Didn't read it myself but this is basically how the thread sounds like. Im Asian myself but I learned to just let the stereotypical Asians be who they are. It just sucks there's a stereotype on my own people like that. Not trying to be ignorant or cocky but thank God my parents didn't raise me like that...I've learned to develop social skills along with the hard working ethics my parents showed me.I may be off topic but that's just my response...what was the main point the article was pushing anyways?

boring read. asians passive upbringing leads to asians with no balls in the business world. they don't stand up for themselves and take risks in the business world, so they maintain the stereotype that they can easily be pushed around.

This. Didn't read it myself but this is basically how the thread sounds like. Im Asian myself but I learned to just let the stereotypical Asians be who they are. It just sucks there's a stereotype on my own people like that. Not trying to be ignorant or cocky but thank God my parents didn't raise me like that...I've learned to develop social skills along with the hard working ethics my parents showed me.I may be off topic but that's just my response...what was the main point the article was pushing anyways?

Originally Posted by NomadicSole21

pretty much the same for me.
us asians really need to learn how to take a stand.  
30t6p3b.gif

pretty much the same for me.
us asians really need to learn how to take a stand.  
30t6p3b.gif

That asian without social skills stereotype is just that, a stereotype and I partially blame the media. I would go as far as saying most asian people I know/good friends with have NOT been the "nerdy and effeminate" Asian that is portrayed in the media. Most of them are intelligent, as well as well-rounded and social.

That asian without social skills stereotype is just that, a stereotype and I partially blame the media. I would go as far as saying most asian people I know/good friends with have NOT been the "nerdy and effeminate" Asian that is portrayed in the media. Most of them are intelligent, as well as well-rounded and social.

^^Agreed with both.

Only way we can slowly erase the stereotype is for the small percent of us to take that stand. It doesn't affect me personally since my circle of friends are really diverse but when I meet new people IMO it seems like that stereotype is how I get judged till people get to know me.

Thank God for Jeremy Lin
laugh.gif

^^Agreed with both.

Only way we can slowly erase the stereotype is for the small percent of us to take that stand. It doesn't affect me personally since my circle of friends are really diverse but when I meet new people IMO it seems like that stereotype is how I get judged till people get to know me.

Thank God for Jeremy Lin
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by fc15

Originally Posted by proper english

SON...

[*]1 [*]2 [*]3 [*]4 [*]5 [*]6 [*]7 [*]8 [*]9 [*]10 [*]11 [*]http://nymag.com/news/features/asian-americans-2011-5/index1.html/images.nymag.com/gfx/ico/arrow-more.gif);">http://images.nymag.com/gfx/ico/arrow-more.gif); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: 90% 50%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">Next

eek.gif

asians110516_250.jpg
Dirty?
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by fc15

Originally Posted by proper english

SON...

[*]1 [*]2 [*]3 [*]4 [*]5 [*]6 [*]7 [*]8 [*]9 [*]10 [*]11 [*]http://nymag.com/news/features/asian-americans-2011-5/index1.html/images.nymag.com/gfx/ico/arrow-more.gif);">http://images.nymag.com/gfx/ico/arrow-more.gif); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: 90% 50%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">Next

eek.gif

asians110516_250.jpg
Dirty?
roll.gif
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom