What happens to overstock/ overproduced / shoes that don't sell? (post outlet sales)

not too long ago Nike turned out about 4-5 colorways of a model, nowadays its 15-40.
im seeing more signature shoes (bball) and top tier shoes at outlets, i dont believe that people are buying the remaining stock. 

what happens to all the leftover shoes that dont sell?

do the shoes get sent back and shredded?

Originally Posted by bballermarkie

I'm pretty sure they end up getting destroyed after they sit in outlets for a long time

Well that wouldn't be very productive since it prolly just cost much at all to make the kicks if they sit long enough I'd like to see them donate kicks to those in need

Originally Posted by Mints912

I'm pretty sure they end up getting destroyed after they sit in outlets for a long time

Well that wouldn't be very productive since it prolly just cost much at all to make the kicks if they sit long enough I'd like to see them donate kicks to those in need

Nike is quickly becoming the Gucci or L.V of athletic appeal and shoes. They do not want poor people wearing their stuff. A lot of overstock stuff is sent off to places like Ross, Marshall's and other shops like that.

Originally Posted by BOMB SQUAD RECORDS

Nike is quickly becoming the Gucci or L.V of athletic appeal and shoes. They do not want poor people wearing their stuff. A lot of overstock stuff is sent off to places like Ross, Marshall's and other shops like that.

unfortunately i can't seem to disagree.. 
frown.gif

they probably also recycle the shoes that don't sell? is it legal to recycle the material and use it on brand new shoes?

Originally Posted by al3x89

frown.gif

they probably also recycle the shoes that don't sell? is it legal to recycle the material and use it on brand new shoes?
I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of who Nike's target market is.  Nike is the Gucci and L.V. of middle class and poor people. For the people that can afford Gucci and L.V. they just wear Gucci and L.V.  

Originally Posted by canarycny

nope str8 to outlets and marked down til there gone

i doubt thats true

i've recently seen some hyperfuse air max's from last year at the outlets this month still marked at $120

Originally Posted by Sixfoot nathan

Originally Posted by canarycny

nope str8 to outlets and marked down til there gone

i doubt thats true

i've recently seen some hyperfuse air max's from last year at the outlets this month still marked at $120
They are not as aggressive with markdowns as they were before but all product eventually gets sold. I recall seeing AJ 2009 at Marshall's for $50 in summer 2011.

Originally Posted by bucknuteagle

frown.gif

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of who Nike's target market is.  Nike is the Gucci and L.V. of middle class and poor people. For the people that can afford Gucci and L.V. they just wear Gucci and L.V.  
This is sad but true. With Nike demand at an all time high, inventory will only sit until its price goes low enough to become a good deal.

Originally Posted by bucknuteagle

frown.gif

People that can afford Gucci and L.V still buy Nike. When Kim Kardashian or any other rich celeb goes to work out or dresses down a lot of the time you will see them in Nike. Problem is Nike has been raising prices even though their costs are not necessarily going up and most people are not blinking at the increased prices. Before we know it a lot of Nike products will be so expensive that the majority of people no matter how bad they may want will just not be able to afford it.

i have to back track a little.. prices in the states get marked down a lot

prices in canada or any other country do not, you'll be lucky to see a pair of numbered jordans <$125

if all shoes do sell eventually i should be seeing a lot more people on the streets with sneakers

I work at a Nike outlet and we do not throw out the shoes or recycle or send them to people in need. We'll keep marking it down until its at such a ridiculously low price that people will feel the need to buy it. and after a shoe get below a quantity of 36 it goes to the hash wall which periodically 30% off and such. ive worked there for upwards of a year and theres been some shoes that have just sat in the aisles not selling.  if worse comes to worse we'll ship the shoes back to another outlet that will try to sell it or we ship it to a warehouse where they decide what to do with it.

Yea exactly. Ive seen shoes at outlets for ages. Why do you think carnivored that were $45-$60 in outlets two years ago are now going for like $20 in outlets? Cause theyve sat that long and dropped the price low enough for people to finally see value for the dollar.

Yup, another outlet employee here.
Marked down until it's dirt cheap enough to send to an clearance level Nike store.

Good question and another case in the beginning of folks spreading misinformation that others will read and believe.

As mentioned by those working at outlets that is correct and sometimes when its not an RTV (return to vendor) situation ie stores which aren't Nike sending to outlets, they are sold off to third party vendor's which in turn sell them off to Marshalls, Ross, TJ Maxx and the like.

Nike makes their money in all facets. Remember Once Nike sells to the Retailer they have made their money at full price wholesale. For those allowed to RTV that retailer is given a credit... but if Niketown, or Nike.com has to send footwear or clothes to an outlet... the least they do is break even by selling it at cost and anything over cost is obviously gravy to them.

Sometimes those third party retailers who buy from the warehousers will make more money than Nike did reselling the shoe. Now THATS hustling forward...and not backwards... like many of the new age resellers

^ Pretty much nailed it b/w Rock and the two employees who chimed in.

Nike's not going to simply destroy product
laugh.gif
. There's multiple ways to get that stock sold.

I have benefitted from what Nike does. I have gotten some pretty good shoes for under $20. Kobes, jordans and some other good basketball shoes. Got it from a Nike factory outlet store.

remember last year when jordans were 150..... and they went up in price but the quality didnt...

They end up at mom n pop stores and sit there until 2027 when some kid comes in and buys em cause there now vintage heat.

laugh.gif

cheaps shoes can be found at cheap places. just depends on how cheap the nike shoe can drop before it gets sold. you wont ever see finishline or footlocker selling a nike shoe that mspr for 100 under 50.

i used to always go to the nike outlet (bout a 40 min drive from here) but ive never lucked out with finding heat that got marked down or anything just regular releases that sat on shelves and were neglected

Back
Top Bottom