What is a better shooting form?

My friend and I were debating which shooting form is better. My friend favors Form A = Keeping it in the pocket, in front of face. He favors this form becausehe thinks
there is less room for error and it LOOKS nicer. Example: Luke Ridnour, Mike Bibby, Baron Davis, Chris Bosh, Carmelo(debatable), & Boobie Gibson. I favorform B = There is not really a shooting pocket but ball is
brought above head. My reasons were: Hard to block, easier to shoot on the run/off screens, this forms allows more range IMO. Example: Kobe, Lebron, ReggieMiller, Ray Allen(debatable), & Dirk Nowitski.
What are your thoughts ?

ive used both, having changed my form when i got to college and ball above head is much more natural.

it makes for a much more dynamic j as well.

i know NT's answer is usually Ray Allen, but i personally try to model my form after Jason Kapono....his form is Picture perfect (imo)peep photos from hisUCLA days
pimp.gif

Ray Allen's is actually a bit unorthodox in the way he sort of swings it above his head in one-motion...that's why you never see anyone who shoots likehim...it's extremely fluid and smooth though so most people find it very good looking.

you need to watch some of my videos to know whats really good form
pimp.gif
x
laugh.gif
but really ive always thought ray allens shot was pretty ugly, i hate paulpierces though. its got a hitch in it

I favor form B. Not only is it more difficult to block, but by having the ball in front of the face, as in Form A, the elbow tends to want to wander out, andwe all know the elbow must be kept in to keep everything aligned.

I tend to bring the ball right over my shooting ear; it always keeps things aligned.

Best form in the game was easily MJ, especially in his Wizards' days. The great thing about Mike was that, even at 40, he got so much height and quicknesson his jumpshot that it was impossible to block.

Let the Knicks tell it:

I think above the head is better for guys that take a dribble. Guys that are spot up shooters can afford to keep it lower, as they're a little bit moreopen most times.

The second one, above the head, is the correct way to shoot. That's all there is to it. In front of the face is sloppy and you will almost never see a"great" shooter with that type of form. Not saying you won't see guys who are good ball players and shoot pretty well percentages, but a pureshooting form is above the head, a la the great of the 80's like Bird.

There are actually a lot of reasons why it is superior, but most of them all have to do with why the other ways are WRONG more than anything.

Sadly - a walk around your local gym or park will probably show you that less than 1 in 10 players (my estimate) shoot this way...
frown.gif
i think it's a lostart, of sorts.

This is probably a bad habit but i tend to do a little of both. When i spot up (usually for 3) I have a lower release around my head, but if i shoot off thedribble i usually get good elevation, bring the ball above my head, and fade slightly so it is very difficult to block. Shot pretty consistently with both thisseason

i know NT's answer is usually Ray Allen, but i personally try to model my form after Jason Kapono....his form is Picture perfect (imo)peep photos from his UCLA days
pimp.gif

kapono has an early release and often no follow through unless he's wiiiiiide open.

Back
Top Bottom