What is middle-class in Manhattan? -NYT

Still riddled with violence and gang related crime. West of broadway is safer and more residential, east of broadway is hardcore city live.
I think you may just be exaggerating just a bit. Apart from dyckman and the part of harlem near lenox ave around139th-145th street, everything else is pretty much a cake walk.

why are people so pressed to live in manhattan anyway? 

thats why i liked NY the times I visited because you could be 40 mins from manhattan but still be in the actual city, not the middle of nowhere *** suburbs like so many areas that surround other cities.   

isnt there just as much to do in Queens, BK, even BX? 

Last edited:
Plebs wanna live in Manhattan because the media brainwashes them into thinking it's the center of the universe.

People are pressed into living in Manhattan because the media brainwashes plebs into believing it's the greatest enclave, in greatest city in the world full of creative energy and unique people. It's really just a playground for the rich with a bunch of broke posers paying an absurd amount to live near, not with, the wealthy elite.

Last edited:
its somewhat happening in DC also, maybe not the the extent of Manhattan, but a 50k salary IN DC (not that DMV label so many like to use) is considered "lower class."

Reactions: ct3
I live in East Williamsburg (the neighborhood from HBO GIrls)  I'm on the fork of Queens and Brooklyn. Honestly neighborhoods like mines are up and coming, the silly demand for high price apartments in Manhattan is going to be short lived. I remember when L.E.S. and south Manhattan were crappy places to live, until some genius took the idea of buying up the property and renting it out at insane prices. 9/11 really changed everything in terms of areas by class.

If you're in Brooklyn close to the bridge and as far down as Atlantic by Barclays Center the area has gone WAY up in price and appeal. It used to be a drug and prostitute ridden zone. Now there's rich architects and trust fund kids living it up in million dollar apartments. But if you go around the corner there's projects and low income housing. 

Same thing in Queens, Queens is really up and coming again, Long Island City, Sunny-side, Astoria, Ridgewood, Elmhurst and Cornona.

There's really no such thing as middle class anymore in New York, just rich and poor. If you're poor and can afford to live in Manhattan it's because of rent control, you're still living a crap life. If you're rich and living in Manhattan, good luck trying not to go homeless keeping up appearances. Most people that live in Upper Manhattan are old money. Generations of Wall Street's grandchildren, Asian and Russian elite or French royalty.

Last edited:
No hate. Just pointing out that the middle class doesn't have a chance in NY because so many rent controlled apartments are in the hands of the children or grandchildren of 1970s middle class, who get to live a lifestyle that is far far better than their income would justify, while the actual middle class has to suffocate with inflated rent prices. Rent control and subsidized housing has displaced the creative energy that made NY a great place, making NY boring. Yet still, people from NY like to pretend the city is still the greatest :rolleyes . It's a playground for the elite and losers who really AREN'T doing it like they pretend.
Rent control does mess it up for everyone else. We learned this in economics class. Minimum wage also messes stuff up in the same way.

lot of nonsense in this thread.

Yep.

So OP's idea of a solution is getting rid of da only system thats keeping middle income

Families stable protected from exploitive market forces Genius :rolleyes :lol:

My rent cheap cuz i been here since i was born, they dont even offer da type of deal im under

Any more, & everytime someone dies or moves away & doesnt leave their apt to immediate family

It becomes unregulated & goes for market price. Landlords dont lose money because da government

Cuts VERY generous tax breaks to owners to have or offer affordable housing, plus da city ZONES

Certain neighborhoods as such so that their own city & state workers can afford to live in da city they work for.

Without these parameters on place you would see HIGH waves of migration in & out of neighborhoods which

Would negatively alter NYC's dynamic culture. Bloomberg is da one that rezone major sections of Brooklyn to become

A haven for luxury housing & in turn decimated da vibrancy of da neighborhood to something that is inhospitable to 1st time

Avrrivals to NYC on da working class. Im glad da Bronx, da heights, & inwood still provide reasonable prices for my hispanic counterparts.

And keeping our apts with grandfathered rent regulations helps us combats pervasive gentrification.

What is this talk of "no more middle class" in NYC? Have you been to any other borough besides Manhattan? There are plenty of homeowners who live in nice houses , on quiet blocks, and have nice cars. I know someone who lives in the north Bronx in a nice community that is pretty suburban. Yes, there may be projects if you walk 5 blocks in a certain direction but to say there is no middle class is absurd. You all are thinking in black and white without realizing that people have been thriving in NYC for generations in their own homes. Just because they're not living in the "hip" areas where young hipsters and rich people tend to flock to doesn't mean there aren't people in NYC that are thriving. I rent a $1000 per month 3 bedroom apt in a private house on a very quiet middle class block which borders Yonkers (in the BX). I have a huge living room, dining room and it is completely safe to park any car outside. If you are renting anything on the border of Manhattan (or in certain sections of the outerboroughs like in Riverdale) expect to pay an arm and a leg but there are still good deals to be gotten on rent and there is still a strong middle class in NYC.

For some renting is a convenience. My friend drops 20k a month because he can. Like most young people, he's not interested in owning a home.
how big is the place? and is it just him in that spot?
Off the West Side Highway down by Battery Park. Yes, he's by himself in a very spacious place.
I live in East Williamsburg (the neighborhood from HBO GIrls)  I'm on the fork of Queens and Brooklyn. Honestly neighborhoods like mines are up and coming, the silly demand for high price apartments in Manhattan is going to be short lived. I remember when L.E.S. and south Manhattan were crappy places to live, until some genius took the idea of buying up the property and renting it out at insane prices. 9/11 really changed everything in terms of areas by class.

If you're in Brooklyn close to the bridge and as far down as Atlantic by Barclays Center the area has gone WAY up in price and appeal. It used to be a drug and prostitute ridden zone. Now there's rich architects and trust fund kids living it up in million dollar apartments. But if you go around the corner there's projects and low income housing. 

Same thing in Queens, Queens is really up and coming again, Long Island City, Sunny-side, Astoria, Ridgewood, Elmhurst and Cornona.

There's really no such thing as middle class anymore in New York, just rich and poor. If you're poor and can afford to live in Manhattan it's because of rent control, you're still living a crap life. If you're rich and living in Manhattan, good luck trying not to go homeless keeping up appearances. Most people that live in Upper Manhattan are old money. Generations of Wall Street's grandchildren, Asian and Russian elite or French royalty.
Not true at all. Down by Barclays before Schemerhorn (sp?) has always been a good part because of its proximity to Park Slope and the more affluent section of Prospect Heights. The area has gone up in price and appeal, but it was never a bad place to be. That was one of the few areas you could take your kids trick or treating back in the day without having to worry about anything bad happening to you or them.

And Lower Manhattan a crappy place to live? Are you sure from you're from New York? Maybe Chinatown and the Lower East Side, but you got it if you lived in Tribeca, Battery Park, SoHo, the Village, etc. Russell Simmons lived right across the street from the Towers. He didn't think it was a crappy place to live.

Personally, I think that apartments shouldn't be transferable from one party to another unless it was bought out. Once the person on the lease dies or gives it up, the current rate should reflect market value.

There is no middle class in Manhattan.

Either rich or poor.

The Barclays Center area was REALLY BAD until about 3-4 yrars ago.

That is all.

Dude paying 20K a month for rent, that's absurd. I know homie has to be SUPER well off, but I'd just cop a mansion in Jersey and stay in hotels in NYC on the weekends.

There is no middle class in Manhattan.

Either rich or poor.

The Barclays Center area was REALLY BAD until about 3-4 yrars ago.

That is all.
No it wasn't. Stop faking the funk like you're from here. You don't have to lie to kick it.

Last edited:
No hate. Just pointing out that the middle class doesn't have a chance in NY because so many rent controlled apartments are in the hands of the children or grandchildren of 1970s middle class, who get to live a lifestyle that is far far better than their income would justify, while the actual middle class has to suffocate with inflated rent prices. Rent control and subsidized housing has displaced the creative energy that made NY a great place, making NY boring. Yet still, people from NY like to pretend the city is still the greatest :rolleyes . It's a playground for the elite and losers who really AREN'T doing it like they pretend.
Rent control does mess it up for everyone else. We learned this in economics class. Minimum wage also messes stuff up in the same way.

Stay in school young lad. The fact that you related rent control to minimum wage shows that you have a lot to learn about the way the real world works and not some textbook equations about supply, demand, and GDP.

What is this talk of "no more middle class" in NYC? Have you been to any other borough besides Manhattan? There are plenty of homeowners who live in nice houses , on quiet blocks, and have nice cars. I know someone who lives in the north Bronx in a nice community that is pretty suburban. Yes, there may be projects if you walk 5 blocks in a certain direction but to say there is no middle class is absurd. You all are thinking in black and white without realizing that people have been thriving in NYC for generations in their own homes. Just because they're not living in the "hip" areas where young hipsters and rich people tend to flock to doesn't mean there aren't people in NYC that are thriving. I rent a $1000 per month 3 bedroom apt in a private house on a very quiet middle class block which borders Yonkers (in the BX). I have a huge living room, dining room and it is completely safe to park any car outside. If you are renting anything on the border of Manhattan (or in certain sections of the outerboroughs like in Riverdale) expect to pay an arm and a leg but there are still good deals to be gotten on rent and there is still a strong middle class in NYC.

Best post in here

Guys I'm glad we didn't fall the the OP/trolls bait and got this going in the wrong-direction.

A lot of quality posts being posted but like others have touched on....what about the other boroughs?

There is a middle class in nyc but it's located in the other boroughs outside the city. I feel there are going to be periods that will make a place for middle income families to get back into manhattan but those periods will be like quickstrikes....only lasting for a short time.

The areas very close to manhattan are really up and coming, but sadly are becoming more and more gentrified.

As a born and raised NYC'er I feel like those who influence price of rent and just the basic price of living are ruining this city.

The fundamental problem is that your check today is lower than it was last year and minimum wage is no longer a living wage. How in the **** are we supposed to live if we pay more and more everyday yet our salaries don't go up?

This stuff is killing my city. To the point that I've found greener pastures outside of it. Don't be fooled though....creative energy still exists in this city....but it's not in midtown.

I grew up in the UES but my parents got me a place in East Williamsburg and I prefer the UES to Brooklyn. Safer and taxis are a lot easier to get. There's also numerous places open 24/7. I go to bars in Manhattan too so it's easier to bring someone back to the UES than it is to Brooklyn. I kind of want to move back but I don't want to live with my parents :lol:

My biggest annoyance with Brooklyn is that there aren't as many places that take credit cards :smh:

The Nomad is right about nice buildings and then projects around the corner. There are blocks near my East Williamsburg place that has condos on one block and project buildings on the next one.

Back
Top Bottom