What is the point of CC and BCC?

My white-collar folks:

What is the point of CC and BCC in e-mails? I just feel as though it has no use in e-mails. People tell me it's so people can see the e-mail even though they're not necessarily a part of the e-mail. If that's true, what's the point?

I remember some random guy talking amongst his co-workers, he said "we weren't invited to the party, we were CC'ed."

Can my fellow NT'ers chime on CC and BCC.

CC - no action needed for you, but just to inform you
BCC - same as CC, but also makes it blind to the recipients listed in the "To" field

from a music stand point, if i'm sending a proposition amongst a couple people, i will CC and have everyone involved, with the possibility of replying back.

BCC is big when sending an email such as a file to various parties...especially when those parties could be 2dopeboyz, A-Trak, etc...you want the receiving parties to feel comfortable having the file and nobody else having access to their info.

cc - includes them. your recipients know you also sent it to them
bcc - your intended recipients dont know you sent it to them also keeps contact information confidential to a degree

in my job i use bcc a lot when sending mass e-mails about policies and notifications etc or when contacting vendors about bidding.

I talked to two of my co-workers about a process that I came up with. They agreed upon the process that I came up with but one of my co-workers wasn't here yesterday.

So, I put the absent co-worker yesterday in the "to" field and my two co-workers that I spoke to yesterday about the process in the "CC" field?

for gods sake use the bcc button when blasting my contacts dont involve me in that spam struggle

yeah, like others have stated.

also, in the corporate world, BCC is used when you have a dispute in the office...

you always BCC someone higher than the person you're having a discussion with

its basically a way to get a witness/second copy/proof of email without the person you're emailing knowing that.

the most common use is like, i raise a problem i have with my supervisor with my COO, who tells me im right. when responding to an email from my supervisor, which is wrong, when i say "no" in the reply, i would BCC my COO, who would be reading the conversation without the supervisor's knowledge.

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

cc - includes them. your recipients know you also sent it to them
bcc - your intended recipients dont know you sent it to them also keeps contact information confidential to a degree

in my job i use bcc a lot when sending mass e-mails about policies and notifications etc or when contacting vendors about bidding.

Building off your post,

If you're on a team and you send an e-mail out to a different team or company for work purposes, you would CC your team/supervisor.
It proves you sent the e-mail in the first place and dually applies pressure to the recipient to actually make moves (because he sees you CCd senior people).

^ CCing senior people off the bat is a B-move in my book. Don't use that until necessary.

learned something new in here.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DownyBoy

^ CCing senior people off the bat is a B-move in my book. Don't use that until necessary.
In my job for seniors clients, it's always necessary.

You send an e-mail to a CEO asking for stuff, of course you are going to CC a senior banker on your team
laugh.gif

Different industries have different protocol, not all jobs have the same level of responibility man.

BCC is also used when you want to invite people to a "high class/exclusive" party. like you dont want the people to know who else will be there, or they will start to scrutinize the list.

for ex: OMG they didnt invite ____________

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Originally Posted by DownyBoy

In my job for seniors clients, it's always necessary.

You send an e-mail to a CEO asking for stuff, of course you are going to CC a senior banker on your team
laugh.gif

Different industries have different protocol, not all jobs have the same level of responibility man.
This. and if you boss delegates items to you and you have to re-delegate them to others, you have to show your boss that. Always CYA.

Originally Posted by Solemate96

DoubleJ:

Why is BCC your best friend? I have never had to use it and will if necessary.

Certain protocol (at my job) requires that I BCC as a way to hide various email addresses depending on the nature of what is being sent out and to whom.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

So if I wanted to send an email to 4 people without any of those 4 being able to see the list of emailee's - i'd use the BCC?

Originally Posted by I3

So if I wanted to send an email to 4 people without any of those 4 being able to see the list of emailee's - i'd use the BCC?

yes

Back
Top Bottom