What is your JOB/Career ? Vol. Rate your happiness.

ya, i think work environment is a HUGE factor that gets overlooked. if you have good management/boss(es) than i think the 9-5 grind can be overcome. working at a place that is micromanaged and with coworkers that make more but are lazy is just really starting to take its toll on me. selfish coworkers are the worse. you help them out and get their back and they're all smiles but when its time for it to be reciprocated they ain't there. i'm really starting to realize i can't work with people that all they care about is themselves but at the same time it's good to finally see people's true colors, cause when the going gets tough you really know who is actually down for you and got your back.

I'm 29 and with USPS as a supervisor. I started with them around 22 y/o while I was getting my B.S. in Public Administration (Government). I was promoted to supervisor in about 2.5 years. I had an analyst detail for about 1.5-2 years that kept things interesting but ultimately fell back into supervising due to staffing. I'm pushing 6 years in this role and it's definitely not fulfilling. If I was willing to move, I could move up the ranks, but I purchased my house 2016 and have been living very comfortably and also have a 5 year old to try and maintain a relationship with. I don't think I'll necessarily be happier at a higher level position, especially in a new town/city away from friends and family.

The local job opportunities are limited, clique-ish, and political. I keep it too real to really participate in the games. I did the "yes man" role for about a year and rather than be rewarded, I just got abused. Had no work/life balance and went into a depression. I took my work life balance back forcefully and as a result, I end up living for the weekend now. It's rough mentally, but there isn't much to my job. It's doesn't even feel right to complain when the organization pays me 70k+ to do little to nothing (mostly because the supervisor role is micromanaged to the point that i don't have responsibility for anything.) It helps me sleep at night to remember there are managers making twice my salary for objectively less benefit to the organization. We are in the middle of an organization restructuring so we will see how things shake out or if layoffs happen in management. Hoping for some positive changes to come but hopes aren't high.

I cant take any risk right now due to debt and obligations but I think in 5 years once my student loans are forgiven, I may start putting my extra income towards my own business endeavors and break free from corporate bs and time based income ceilings.

You got your whole 30's ahead of you!! I would kill to be in your position. Make strategic moves, don't burn any bridges. But if i may offer one advise, yourself should be priority #1, raising/being a part of your kids life is right behind that; however, passing on opportunities afar, for family/other adults, mm mmm, - don't do that. At some point that job market ain't going to be for you and it's best to prepare, at least mentally for that day.

My cousin (ex) wife was crna and made great money and didn’t work that much. She ended up ****ing a surgeon though and leaving his ***. :lol: Now she doesnt work. :lol:
she already rich now she’s more rich

she got herself a sucka

You got your whole 30's ahead of you!! I would kill to be in your position. Make strategic moves, don't burn any bridges. But if i may offer one advise, yourself should be priority #1, raising/being a part of your kids life is right behind that; however, passing on opportunities afar, for family/other adults, mm mmm, - don't do that. At some point that job market ain't going to be for you and it's best to prepare, at least mentally for that day.
Yeah as someone who was at that almost exact spot, 29 doing alright in a supervisor position and just had to ride out that promotion train and eat little crow and not let keeping it real go wrong, **** it just do it and enjoy the increased salary outside of work.

Nothing wrong with a 9-5. Not everybody wants the hustle and bustle everyday. Some rather security, their time and a regularly paycheck.

Not everybody is built to be an entrepreneur. Takes a special kind of mind frame to do it.

A lot of wealthy people works 9-5, because they invest their money into other things - franchises, stocks/crypto, real estate, etc.
I was just saying I don’t see how people do it from my mindset. Doing all this and only having two days off just ain’t what I have planned for the next 10+ years. At least with my current salary.

I was just saying I don’t see how people do it from my mindset. Doing all this and only having two days off just ain’t what I have planned for the next 10+ years. At least with my current salary.
Work hard, not smart. Have a side hustle(s), or other streams of income. I be chilling, doing what is required work wise. Anything more or outside of my job description? Holla at the union. Better revise my title and pay. OT? Sign me up.

Work hard, not smart. Have a side hustle(s), or other streams of income. I be chilling, doing what is required work wise. Anything more or outside of my job description? Holla at the union. Better revise my title and pay. OT? Sign me up.
Oh I’m up on game as far as additional incomes go. Which is why I say , I can’t see myself working the same position for decades. Eye personally can’t. Unless it paid very well.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE

ahat your lucky to work at a larger company with a union etc. I’m at a small company with no union. Work environment isn’t the greatest either but it pays the bills and I’m able to do a side hustle. I think I just really need to decide in the next little while what I really want out of life and maybe take a leap of faith to do my own thing to try to achieve work happiness. When the work week starts and already looking forward to Friday can’t be good for my mental health

Currently employed at a mental health facility doing employment support for individuals with diagnosis. Job is ok but doesn't pay well as of course is non-profit. I'm currently obtaining my masters in education for school counseling, finishing up May of 2022 and looking to work in a public high school. Also in the Air Force Reserves, 7 years in as a cop but my time should be coming to an end in another 3-4 years. I was a civilian cop a few years back but that didn't work out and is not something I would look forward to this time around in my life.

Work in financial services. Been at my current employer 10+ yrs. I am severely underpaid given my experience, tenure and a wage discrimination issue I won't into detail about. But unfortunately, I'm also in a role that has a lot of turnover and is a revolving door of employment. As such, persons in my job title are expendable. Add to that, I am the patriarch of a family of 5 (2 under the age of 3) and between our home and two cars, am 400k in debt...

I typed all that to say, I HATE my job. The pay. The people. The politics. The profession. The only saving grace present is the paternity leave (which I'm currently) on. Therefore, I'll give it a 2/10. But despite this hatred, as I mentioned my expandability and responsibilities to my fam, I can't just up and quit. In fact, with the pandemic and layoffs as they have occurred, I'm grateful I still have a job TBH. But best believe I'm trying to utilize this time away (8wks) to find something better. Sadly tho, like another member posted earlier, "every time I get on indeed and search for other jobs I always find myself stopping because I really dont want to do this **** no more. "

I could go on [female dogging] about my situation for days but to sum it up, I hear you OP. I right there with you less the entrepreneur-route, I'm moreso looking into writing. But my situation is somewhat complex, so my advice is: if you have the chance, the opportunity and the means to do so, pursue your dreams ASAP before life happens, making it that much more difficult to do.

I'm rooting for you all.

Im a business consultant for a major US healthcare provider. The pay is decent and benefits are excellent (5+ weeks PTO, pension plan, wfh) but honestly i hate the corporate culture. Hate having to fit in and be politically correct all the time.

Ive got side hustles and always wanted to be an entrepreneur and do things on my own terms. But until I get compensated as much without much risk, Im not willing to go that route. I want to retire between 50-55 and Im on target if I stick with what Im currently doing.

Chemical operator. Easy job, sitting in front of a console running a chemical process, good benefits, and a good crew. Being scheduled 4 days one week, 3 the next, and being able to get OT when I want is amazing. I’m never working Monday-Friday, or for less than $34/hr, ever again unless I want to.

Deal strategy manager at a tech company - all in comp is about $200k.

I enjoy it but I work too much on the reporting side versus the strategy side. I got out of accounting and audit because I wanted to move away from the monthly close feeling and toward more value add work. That said, my team, my boss, and everyone treats me really really well and both respect and listen to my input. Work way way too many hours and too hard but hopefully my team expands so I have a backfill. If I wasn’t making so much money I’d look for other opportunities..and probably still will in a few years.

I really value this job though. Took me about 5 years to get to it - had to do a lot to make it here including a masters, accounting, finance, etc. Always eventually wanted to be more on the operations side and willed it into existence.

I also did try starting my own company once. I learned from it that i’m much better at operating the idea but am not great at the “sales” of it. You have to want to be a salesman if you’re going to be an entrepreneur. I draw energy from working on problems not from convincing people to invest or buy something. Would rather be employee #5 than employee 1 (founder).

Have learned days have up and downs and have a much more stoic attitude toward life. Aim for life being ever so slightly on an upwards trajectory with days having ups and downs.

Edit:
2016 - 2017: 4/10 (paid too little + awful public accounting)

2017 - 2019: 6/10 (paid too little + accounting)

2019 - 2021: 7.5/10 (paid well + good team + interesting work - too much work/zero chill)

Last edited:
I work in alcohol distribution, calling on restaurants, hotels, golf courses, etc. I like my job because the days FLY by. There is almost never a dull moment. Sometimes, it's even a bad thing that the days go by so quick because I run out of time to get things done. Also, it's more of an 11-7 than a 9-5. The past year has been brutal, but I'm lucky to still have a job, as most of my co-workers got laid off last summer. As such, I'm making way more money these days due to consolidation of sales routes. I really can't complain, and my co-workers and I make a point of not complaining about our jobs to other people because we actually have it good. Even for as much stress as we went through over the past year with lock downs and such.

Good thread. I've always wondered what some NTers do for work. I probably work/live one of the more alternative jobs/lifestyles of most people on here but I don't know if I would give it up for anything else. I work out in remote wilderness areas doing trail work, which is essentially construction work out in wild places if I had to really boil it down. I started the year after I graduated undergrad and am coming up on 10 years now. One of my favorite parts about it (in addition to just being out there, among many other reasons) is the freedom and the push for individual/crew autonomy when we're out there, which is great because when it's a crew of 4-8 of us 15-20+ miles into the wilderness there ain't a whole lot the people in the office are tryna communicate on a constant basis.

It's probably/definitely not a job for most people and I'm not even sure most people know the job and that type of work exists :lol: but for me it's the best thing in the world and even the ****tiest days I don't think I would trade for anything else. Easy 10/10 for me, I'm incredibly grateful for that.

It's probably easier for me to say this as someone who is working their "dream job" but if you got goals, desires, ideas, or dreams that you think would make you happier/more content/more satisfied, go after that ****. Always. (Ya know, within reason. )

Industrial designer. I literally draw concepts and build CAD for those concepts. As of now, I’m more of a conceptual designer who provides the fire power in creating new ideas, but there are more seasoned senior designers, who are conceptually burnt out, who manage the concept with engineers into fruition.

I’m almost three years into my career and I’m still trying to comprehend engineers, marketing, and corporate in general. However, I’d love to just hone in on my craft of conceptualizing. It’s definitely the fork in the road of managing projects or mastering design, and I tend to lean towards the latter.

I’d rate my happiness as 9/10 just because I’m not designing shoes which is what I wanted to do when I went to college.However, I do rate it high because I enjoy my craft regardless of what product I’m designing and ultimately it’s satisfying a consumer need.

I’m still in disbelief that I can live a sustainable life in California through drawing on paper and conceptualizing on programs that aren’t necessarily designed to ideate :lol:. Some days it doesn’t feel like I’m working because I’m barely on company calls, but I guess this is what it means to do something you enjoy and find someone to pay you for it.

Back
Top Bottom