What kind of media server you guys using?

Anyone use the Western Digital HD LIVE gizmo?  Plays every file format as well, and with with the bland GUI for $120 it looks to be a good deal.

Originally Posted by thewodun

can you get it to play mkv files?

Plays ALL file types my man.

i've used xbmc, boxee, windows media center, windows home server, playon, and other programs to help watch movies and stream them all over the house using powerline adapters. i'm moving for school though so i stripped like 3 computers and sold about half my hard drives since no one i know would figure how to use any of the stuff. plus i'm the "supplier" for movies so my family would never put the things to use.

WDTV Live is great for most people because you just plug in a hard drive and watch movies. i've recommended it to people since it's the easiest solution to watch ripped movies. you can also stream movies to it but i couldn't get any of my 1080p movies to work properly. 720p was fine though. i used playon on it too and there are plugins so you can watch videos from different websites but they stream on the WDTV.

i've used xbmc, boxee, windows media center, windows home server, playon, and other programs to help watch movies and stream them all over the house using powerline adapters. i'm moving for school though so i stripped like 3 computers and sold about half my hard drives since no one i know would figure how to use any of the stuff. plus i'm the "supplier" for movies so my family would never put the things to use.

WDTV Live is great for most people because you just plug in a hard drive and watch movies. i've recommended it to people since it's the easiest solution to watch ripped movies. you can also stream movies to it but i couldn't get any of my 1080p movies to work properly. 720p was fine though. i used playon on it too and there are plugins so you can watch videos from different websites but they stream on the WDTV.

^ This thread has me wanting to pull off something similar in my own home (a server to stream movies all over the house), but I have no idea how I would make this happen. Can anyone drop a link or share some knowledge on how to make this happen?

^ This thread has me wanting to pull off something similar in my own home (a server to stream movies all over the house), but I have no idea how I would make this happen. Can anyone drop a link or share some knowledge on how to make this happen?

Originally Posted by loendradio

If you want a real media server, the process isn't simple..and it cost alot...well, depending on how much space you actually want.

Anything less than lets say 5 terabytes would be a waste imo.

Look into this http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/

If you want a real media server, the process isn't simple..and it cost alot...well, depending on how much space you actually want.

Anything less than lets say 5 terabytes would be a waste imo.

Look into this http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/

Im the only one who uses the newest technology in my house but once I move out on my own I plan to set something like that up. In the meantime I have to settle with the xbox 360 streams

Im the only one who uses the newest technology in my house but once I move out on my own I plan to set something like that up. In the meantime I have to settle with the xbox 360 streams

Been using XBMC for a while and still love it. Currently, running Night skin. Made the switch from Alaska, which I had been using for months.

Haven't messed around with Boxee, but that's because I've been too lazy to try it. And if anyone wants to set up an "XBMC Server", just go to the forums on xbmc.org and look around. If you have an idea, I guarantee someone over there has tried it.
laugh.gif

And as far as a small media player, the Asus O! Play gets great reviews and a wireless version will be introduced later this year, so definitely check into that ...

For those asking, XB(ox) M(edia) C(enter) is multimedia software based on the multimedia software from the original XBox. As stated, XBMC plays whatever files you want, but creates an incredibly cool front-end for you (backdrops, poster images, information on your media, etc.). You point out where your media is (server, remote location, HDD) and it "scrapes" online media sources (ex: IMDB, MTV, Last.FM) for images and info on your media. It runs on Linux, OSX, Windows XP, Vista and 7, and formerly, XBox itself. You may see people mention Boxee or Plex (Mac-only), but both are based on XBMC ...

Been using XBMC for a while and still love it. Currently, running Night skin. Made the switch from Alaska, which I had been using for months.

Haven't messed around with Boxee, but that's because I've been too lazy to try it. And if anyone wants to set up an "XBMC Server", just go to the forums on xbmc.org and look around. If you have an idea, I guarantee someone over there has tried it.
laugh.gif

And as far as a small media player, the Asus O! Play gets great reviews and a wireless version will be introduced later this year, so definitely check into that ...

For those asking, XB(ox) M(edia) C(enter) is multimedia software based on the multimedia software from the original XBox. As stated, XBMC plays whatever files you want, but creates an incredibly cool front-end for you (backdrops, poster images, information on your media, etc.). You point out where your media is (server, remote location, HDD) and it "scrapes" online media sources (ex: IMDB, MTV, Last.FM) for images and info on your media. It runs on Linux, OSX, Windows XP, Vista and 7, and formerly, XBox itself. You may see people mention Boxee or Plex (Mac-only), but both are based on XBMC ...

im going to build a media server in the coming weeks.

probably going to use windows home server, or linux (gotta learn my way around linux first) and just use windows media center (htpc)/xbox for the rest of the tvs

try this to get your feet wet. http://www.tested.com/new...windows-home-server/406/

after that, hit up google and look for tech blogs.

try, www.overclock.net , and go into their servers subforum and ask away. or, neowin.com . both are great sites.

im going to build a media server in the coming weeks.

probably going to use windows home server, or linux (gotta learn my way around linux first) and just use windows media center (htpc)/xbox for the rest of the tvs

try this to get your feet wet. http://www.tested.com/new...windows-home-server/406/

after that, hit up google and look for tech blogs.

try, www.overclock.net , and go into their servers subforum and ask away. or, neowin.com . both are great sites.

Back
Top Bottom