What laptop would you recommend for college?

Im going to college in the next couple months and I need a laptop that will last me a long time. I have a PC and a laptop that are both Windows XP, and Ivenever used a Mac but my brother has one so I could learn easily. I hear Vista is terrible, and all the issues I've had with my computers is making me leantowards a mac, but is it really worth the money? A 15 inch Pro is like 2000/2500 dollars. I wont be doing too much on it, no gaming or demanding stuff, justinternet and papers. Im hoping to get a job but Im getting money for college regardless, so I dont really have a "budget" , but I dont want to cheapout and get something that wont last, or spend way too much on something that isnt worth it.

What do you guys suggest?

Originally Posted by Nktran001

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

MACBOOK
No joke, it's worth your money.

How so, and which one would be suitable for me? Macbook, Pro? Im leaning towards a Mac because my PC's are being really stupid lately and"upgrading" to Vista wont be fun either.

DONT GET A MACBOOK, ALL YOU WILL BE DOING IS TYPIN AND REGULAR !!%$
UNLESS YOURE TAKING A CLASS THAT USES PHOTOPSHOP, FLASH ETC STUFF LIKE THAT DONT GET A MAC...
THEYRE A WASTE OF MONEY, WHO CARES IF YOU CANT GET A VIRUS
eyes.gif
COP SOME ANTI VIRUS...
SONY OR DELL....
I dont use vista, but its not "bad" like people say, just make sure your computer has a lot of ram and you will be fine.

Honestly, I'd get a netbook if I had a desktop to use at home. Lightweight and good enough for taking notes in class. Carrying crap around and a laptop =no fun.

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

Honestly, I'd get a netbook if I had a desktop to use at home. Lightweight and good enough for taking notes in class. Carrying crap around and a laptop = no fun.
My laptop will be my primary computer. My desktop for some reason cant open programs ( I downloaded Pod 2 PC and if I open it it says"Windows has encountered an error and must close" or something like that) so I'm not going to use my desktop much when I get my laptop.

Depends how much you want to spend. Anything under a $1000 has to be a PC and so HP and Dell are good choices, I'd recommend a 14inch.

Over $1000 you can get Macbook, Thinkpad, or Dell XPS...then it really depends. Macbook you get the best looking laptop, descent specs, a good OS, but mightnot be able to natively run all the programs you want. With the Thinkpad and XPS, you get the best specs, a much better keyboard (which is very important fortyping notes and essays), higher compatibility.

For me, price, keyboard, and specs are important...

Originally Posted by kash55

Depends how much you want to spend. Anything under a $1000 has to be a PC and so HP and Dell are good choices, I'd recommend a 14inch.

Over $1000 you can get Macbook, Thinkpad, or Dell XPS...then it really depends. Macbook you get the best looking laptop, descent specs, a good OS, but might not be able to natively run all the programs you want. With the Thinkpad and XPS, you get the best specs, a much better keyboard (which is very important for typing notes and essays), higher compatibility.

I usually dont like Dell at all, but the XPS line looks great... Would you reccomend it over a Macbook? What sort of programs can a Macbook not run?Reliability is my biggest concern, my Compaq laptop has lasted 5 years (screen is better than most stuff on the market now, but everything else inside ispretty outdated) and I want something with that sort of durability. I've had to restore my laptop numerous times though, which is why Im leaning towards aMac.

looks like that class fell victim to the hype. and the guy who went crazy with the caps lock has it right IMO. unless youre an architecture major or somethingalong those lines just get a PC and use the rest of your cash for alcohol and late night pizza runs...
and vista isnt as bad as people make it out to be. ive never had any problems and ive had my dell since august 07

Macs are the best. I pirate ALOT of crap so it's a nice feeling knowing, no matter what bootleg Czechoslovakian website I visit i'm not going to haveany added crap on my laptop.
laugh.gif

You know I was veeeeeeeeery weary about upgrading to Vista. You always hear really bad things about it, but as a casual PC user (I don't play games or doanything too extra) it's worked well for me. There are a few things here and there that I would change but it's really for me a matter of personalpreference and things that I think most others would overlook. I've also found ways to work around it so It's fine.

Why bother spending all that money on a Mac though if you won't use it's full potential? Saving money on a laptop just means being able to spend moneyon other things. I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 and for 300 it has been more than enough to keep me satisfied.

Originally Posted by AgentArenas

Originally Posted by kash55

Over $1000 you can get Macbook, Thinkpad, or Dell XPS...then it really depends. Macbook you get the best looking laptop, descent specs, a good OS, but might not be able to natively run all the programs you want. With the Thinkpad and XPS, you get the best specs, a much better keyboard (which is very important for typing notes and essays), higher compatibility.

I usually dont like Dell at all, but the XPS line looks great... Would you reccomend it over a Macbook? What sort of programs can a Macbook not run? Reliability is my biggest concern, my Compaq laptop has lasted 5 years (screen is better than most stuff on the market now, but everything else inside is pretty outdated) and I want something with that sort of durability. I've had to restore my laptop numerous times though, which is why Im leaning towards a Mac.

In terms of software reliability Mac wins everytime. It just works. But in terms of hardware...I know of 6 people that have Macbooks....hardware is an issue.

All 6 have had to get their harddrive replace (covered under the 1 year warrenty) but still a risk of losing data and after the one year you are on your own.

Over heating has also been an issue, due to Macbooks compact design, it is prone to heat up by just running videos.

Also hairline cracks form on the body of the Macbook. These issues have been experienced by all of people that I know with Macbooks.

So those are issues that come up with Macbooks, not to say that their PC counterparts are invisible but in my opinion, hardware wise they seem to do a littlebetter.

By the way, you probably want to upgrade your ram to the PC standard of 4GB of ram if you get a Macbook. Macbook comes with 2gb.

In terms of software, depends what program you are in, if all you do with your laptop is take notes (although as I mentioned befores, Macs keyboards arn'tgreat for that), you'll be fine with a Mac.

It is more rare, and specific software that might not be avaible. And if your a techy and want to try new programs they usually don't come out for Macs fora long time, ie. Google Chrome or Digsby...

So depends what you need it for, and how you are going to use the laptop.

I really love the Macs battery life but I am concerned about the price, hardware quality, and how mostly style over subsance when it comes to specs.

I like ThinkPads and XPS. The XPS 1330 is awesome. Light, sleek, good keyboard. As far as Macs go, if you aren't going to use much of OS X, iLife, etc,then just get a PC.

I have a Macbook and I bought it after 3 1/2 years with a HP laptop running Xp (I'm in my 4th year of college)

It really is worth the money. Very reliable, lightweight, GREAT OS and it looks nice. You really can't justify needing a pro though, especially with thetype of stuff you're talking about doing. Unless you need the 15in screen, stick with the Macbook. The smaller screen makes it more portable too

i sold my macbook pro and got a thinkpad . none of the softwear i needed for work worked on the macbook , yeah the thing looked nice , but it was way toofragle . if you put anykind of presure on the top . the opening where you put in the cd would close up and the whole case would have to be replaced . ithappend to me twice cuz i carry mine in my back pack with other crap , or even if you place a book on it while its closed . macs are over hyped !!! if you makemovies or do cad drawings or are a big gamer , get a mac . if you wanna just type stuff up and surf . hands down no questions asked . cop a pc !!!!

Thanks for the input guys... I think itd be better for me to go with a PC. Im thinking of an XPS, any suggestions? I want something I'll love now, so Iwont mind when it gets outdated. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom