What lies have panhandlers told you? Do you still give them money? Whats the most you give them?

Originally Posted by ToLiveandDieinNJ

Down by Yankee stadium, there's always this chick, with a pittbull looking bummy, just sitting on a blanket with a cup. And people throw all types of dough in there. One time we got to the stadium extra early and I saw this chick setting up, in nice gear. SMH.

One time growing up this neighborhood chick rang the bell crying about the bus and kids etc. I was like 10 and I went up and gave up 12 bucks I saved up from my allowance. My mom cried for like 45 mins, bc she knew the deal, and I of course as a kid was just doing what I thought was right.

My best story, another time rolling up to Yankee Stadium, coming off the Maj Deegan on that ramp by the McCombs Dam bridge, Dude was at the light, begging, I gave him a can of a beer and this pretty nice clip I had. Dude was loving me, the next time I went to a game, same light, same dude, he offered me a beer back.
Am I missing something? She cried for 45 minutes over you dishing out 12 bucks? 

I live in El Cerrito, CA but I work in Richmond, CA, a poor area and it seems like every time I step out, someone asks for money. I was standing behind these 2 kids in line at the gas station. They were probably around age 15/16 (boy & girl) and they were both getting snacks, drinks, etc. The boy goes up to pay and he's buying a big $*@ bag of sugar (
laugh.gif
) chips, soda and candy. He's like $3 short and looks at me and asks for $3. I tell him to put back one of the items instead and he flips out on me, calling me cheap, etc. I wanted to beat that lil kids behind.
laugh.gif
All I said was get a smaller soda or put back the candy.
laugh.gif
I probably would have helped them if they were nicer and didn't have that sense of entitlement like that HAD to have that candy. He eventually went back and put the candy or chips back and I paid for my gas and newports.

I stopped giving them money.

I always get asked for money because they're hungry, and when I offer them to buy a meal of their choice they give me the -_- face

i only give money to handicap.....everyone else can collect cans for money....once told that to a gude that question why i dont give him some change..i said if i was in your shoes i would be man enough to collect cans for a living.....
tv show "what would you do" had a scene where a dude didnt have enough for gas, a few days later a guy who i have seen begging for money is walking down the street with no car around but with a empty gas thingy saying he needs money for gas please help him.....i told him dude you're in better shape than me i dont even have a car.......people are pathetic

I'm on the "a" train and the kid selling candy comes on and tells his story " I'm poor, I need money for school, yadda, yadda,". But as homie is comming closer to me, kid is rocking a true religion jean outfit, lime green foams, a fresh fitted, and boulder in his ear.

Originally Posted by faulkit28

I'm on the "a" train and the kid selling candy comes on and tells his story " I'm poor, I need money for school, yadda, yadda,". But as homie is comming closer to me, kid is rocking a true religion jean outfit, lime green foams, a fresh fitted, and boulder in his ear.

Did he have dreads?

Originally Posted by Antidope

I've almost never walked past a homeless person and not given them money when I had it. If I'm only carrying one bill they can have it, doesn't matter the amount. The most I've ever given a homeless person was $250 but I knew his story and what he was going to use it for.
I can't in good conscience not give people who are living on the street 5 dollars that I would most likely not use for anything really useful. I don't like to think about what they are or are not doing with it. I don't want to be cynical about it and assume that they're going to use it on drugs and sometimes I don't have the time to "go find them food instead". I'd rather put my faith in them and I have no problem with that. I'm in a privileged situation and get to sleep in a bed, have 3 square meals, and spend money on things that people would deem frivolous that $5 is worth more to them than me 9/10 times regardless of what they use it for.

Really enjoyed this post. Most likely because I have tried to justify why I always give homeless people money.. and it really just comes down to the fact that they're human beings just like you or I. I live downtown and a homeless man named Leslie usually stops near my house once every couple weeks, I always try to throw him a couple dollars. Feels good just helping people man.

Theres these 3 homeless chicks that take "shifts" holding a sign that says "Im out of work with kids and am pregnant". Its complete bs because I see them EVERYDAY chillin on the street corner. I just turn up my music and roll up my windows if I catch the light. I work hard to be handing out my money to a group of lazy *!% females.

I too remember those kids selling candy on the train and this one kid who I have to assume was just starting out gave the old spiel about not selling candy for some lie but for himself so he can make money to better himself and not be on the streets. Nobody buys any candy and before he crosses to the next car sucks his teeth and yells "###$ ALL OF YALL!!!!"

I was dying
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Son just didn't have the patience for the hustle.
Originally Posted by lobotomybeats

I always give. I'm not struggling, I'd rather give knowing regardless of their lies, they need it more than I do.

One time I did toss a homeless guy a quarter (it's all I had) and he fumbled the catch. Without even trying to be a ****, I said 'don't quit your day job.'
But what if they don't need it more than you do? What if they're just greedy and scamming you.

It usually is a joke on movies or tv shows but there are ppl who are living quite fine that'll dress up as bums on their day offs from their high paying jobs to ride the train all day and get money for free.

Originally Posted by DaBottom305

Originally Posted by faulkit28

Did he have dreads?

Last weekend I rode the A train to Manhattan and no lie there was 10+ panhandlers with a different story/hustle going and coming back.

I peeped the kid selling candy with true religion, but he had on the red Foams (no dreads though) and I think I had on the Blue Foam One's... son didn't even come my direction because he knew what it was.

They be catching mad tourists though that don't know the hustle... I seen some lady giving like $20 and I just shook my head and laughed because I know they don't know how things are in NYC.

Oh no. Tell them to get a real job. 

I guess it's Coldblooded.

Some homeless people should be thankful that they don't live in the Alaska winters where you can freeze to death outside and just get swept off the street like nothing happened.

A dude was on the 2 Train the other day with no eyeballs walking through the train cars asking for change...

I was shook looking @ him. Dude looked like a nightmare. But I had no loose dollars though.

I was working in 5th avenue in Manhattan few years ago and this big fat "blind" african american lady sat in the street wit 6 kids begging for change.

so during my cigarette breaks i would would observe this lady, people would take all the kids and buy them lunch, give them envelopes full of money, another lady took them to duane reade and bought them bags of stuff, another lady bought the kids toys from toys r us.

so at the end of the lady i see different people comming and picking up their kids one by one, and the "blind" lady went around the corner hopped in her van. she saw me lookin at her and cursed me out and drove off 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by blackngold1z

I respect the why lie I need a beer sign.
I remember Charles Barkley said he gave a guy $100 for a sign like this cause he was being honest 
laugh.gif

i just start speaking a little bit of "no habol ingles", put my hands in the air and give them a little smile.. works 75% of the time until i get a spanish panhandler o_0

Last time I was in ATL I was approached by the same guy at least six times in a two day span with a different story each time. Every time I seen him he had on a different outfit though. Last time I seen him I called him out and offered to buy his polo puffer vest. He just smirked and kept it moving
laugh.gif

I was in Philly on Thursday drinking coffee on a bench. I had my white coat (medical student) on. He read my name off it and acted like we knew each other. I told him what I tell everyone else. No cash, because I never carry cash.

Originally Posted by Wade187

Originally Posted by ToLiveandDieinNJ

Down by Yankee stadium, there's always this chick, with a pittbull looking bummy, just sitting on a blanket with a cup. And people throw all types of dough in there. One time we got to the stadium extra early and I saw this chick setting up, in nice gear. SMH.

One time growing up this neighborhood chick rang the bell crying about the bus and kids etc. I was like 10 and I went up and gave up 12 bucks I saved up from my allowance. My mom cried for like 45 mins, bc she knew the deal, and I of course as a kid was just doing what I thought was right.

My best story, another time rolling up to Yankee Stadium, coming off the Maj Deegan on that ramp by the McCombs Dam bridge, Dude was at the light, begging, I gave him a can of a beer and this pretty nice clip I had. Dude was loving me, the next time I went to a game, same light, same dude, he offered me a beer back.
Am I missing something? She cried for 45 minutes over you dishing out 12 bucks? 
Lady was a town crackhead, but at my age I didn't recognize that. So I gave up my hard earned allowance bc of her sad story, and it upset my mom. That I, would be that giving. When she knew where the money was really going. My mom is one of those criers though. Cries for everything.

ATGD7154xBBxMZ wrote:
Originally Posted by lobotomybeats

I always give. I'm not struggling, I'd rather give knowing regardless of their lies, they need it more than I do.

One time I did toss a homeless guy a quarter (it's all I had) and he fumbled the catch. Without even trying to be a ****, I said 'don't quit your day job.'
But what if they don't need it more than you do? What if they're just greedy and scamming you.

It usually is a joke on movies or tv shows but there are ppl who are living quite fine that'll dress up as bums on their day offs from their high paying jobs to ride the train all day and get money for free.

I will take that chance and take their plea at face value.  I won't lose sleep debating whether or not a man willing to sit outside on hot or freezing days asking for change really needed my money.

Back
Top Bottom