What makes a good rapper? UPDATE: Take the survey!

What are some attributes that make a good rapper (in your eyes)?
ex: Lyricism, flow/delivery, Good ear for beats, etc.

UPDATE:
Alright, so based on the responses from this thread, I've taken 15 attributes. Now if you could create a rapper just like you can create a fighter in avideo game, which attributes would you want them to possess the most of?

Here is the link to the survey: http://bit.ly/greatrappersurvey

1. Flow/Delivery
2. Beat Selection Abilities
3. Hook Writing Abilities
4. Raw Lyricism
5. Voice
6. Wisdom/Knowledge
7. Passion
8. Creativity
9. Consistency
10. Originality
11. Diversity
12. Honesty
13. Appearance/Marketable Image
14. Live Performance Abilities
15. Entrepreneurship/Business Abilities

I'll continually update w/ the results as we start getting a good amount of responses.

you have to be 19, have a funny dance and rhyme with the easiest words
roll.gif
(souljah boy)

Originally Posted by iHateTimeDotCom

u gotta b able to ride a damn beat first off... u cant just b sayin whatever so lyrics matter... u have to pick good beats... and u forgot the most important thing that 90% of these rappers lack... Hook writing ability... its too many dudes out here writing 16 bar punchline verses callin themselves rappers when they just jack beats and rap... if u have no hooks u dont exist...
DING DING DING

/thread

So so far we got..
1. Ability to ride beat.. is that the same as rhythm?
2. Ability to pick good beats
3. Hook writing ability
4. Lyricism
5. Flow/delivery

Anyone else think we're missing anything else?

it needs to sound good (beat, voice, delievery)
it needs to have substance (lyrics, meaning)

forgive me but Em is no longer doing that.

Originally Posted by Much Respected

So so far we got..
3. Hook writing ability
4. Lyricism
5. Flow/delivery

voice needs to sound dope.

Originally Posted by iHateTimeDotCom

So so far we got..
3. Hook writing ability
4. Lyricism
5. Flow/delivery

riding the beat = flow/delivery
and yea u gotta rap about somethin people can relate to... no serial killer raps...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by KanyeWestJayZ4life

Wisdom is a must
Drive/passion what keeps the rapper going
honesty
education

what fantasy world do you live in? education?! ur SN is composed of a college dropout and a high school dropout...

honesty?! LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i agree wit the drive/passion and, of course, u cant be a complete idiot (plies, birdman, etc) but schooling doesnt really matter...
My screen name has nothing to do with my response.
Also example: J cole has his degree in communications and his flow is very well equiped.
All im saying is the more information you have, and the more you know about the world, and how you can verbally describe it, the better. I dont think its afantasy either, there are some rapper that have degrees.
I didnt mean 100 percent honesty, because some people cant even be honest to them self. But when a rapper is spitting with his heart, you kind of get to feelof who he is. Id say Mos def fits perfectly with that.
Ehhh what does it matter, disreagard what i said then if you think its os foolish.

honesty? like jadakiss said " why do rappers lie in 85% of there rhymes?" CAUSE YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!

So so far we got..
3. Hook writing ability
4. Lyricism
5. Flow/delivery

This.

To bad all these new rappers only has about 1-2 of these.
smh.gif

Flow...delivery....diversity...originality....

The second coming of any rapper is usually frowned upon. (originality)
Rappers that sound soft as hell on the mic, or get drowned out on the microphone, and especially rappers that don't have "presence" (delivery)
IMO any rapper who can constantly put words together well with punchlines and raw metaphors is worth listening to (flow)
Too many rappers get stale...always talk about the same things...cars, money, women, guns..etc. After awhile it gets redundant and corny (diversity)

Nice, lets keep this going. Once we nail down a solid 15 attributes I'm going to set up a poll to see what NT ranks as the most important to leastimportant.

i wish this thread would be about what makes a SUCCESSFUL rapper...cuz thats really whats interesting

Originally Posted by MrWavez

i wish this thread would be about what makes a SUCCESSFUL rapper...cuz thats really whats interesting
What do you think makes a successful rapper?

well...thats a good question...not too sure myself

but i would guess..

be able to touch on both lyricalness and mainstream (prolly the hardest part)

now....if someone could break that down even further id appreciate it..
happy.gif

cuz to some extent i have no idea what that means

Originally Posted by MrWavez

Appeal to suburban white kids.
Basically, catchy beats and hooks, and an easily marketable "image". Just look at Wayne or GRODT era 50 cent, or Em for good examples of people whodid all that.

Every good rappers NEEDS some haters...

If you don't have haters, it means you haven't done anything worth Ns being jelous of...

Nice, lets keep this going. Once we nail down a solid 15 attributes I'm going to set up a poll to see what NT ranks as the most important to least important.

ZOOMG!!! hurry up and get 15 guyz

Back
Top Bottom