What more can be said after American Gangster..........

Im going to go a little deeper into the meaning of the American Gangster cd and I know its going to make a lot of Jay-z haters
mad.gif
. As far as "Gangster Rap" I dont think another cd should come out aboutdrug dealing, how much you sold, about the money you made, how big of a drug dealer you were, how you floss when you come to the club, because "I"feel Jayz covered all boundaries of this in American Gangster and he did in a true life aspect, without gimmicks. Im not a gangster and never sold drugs butall the "Real Gangsters" im sure can agree that the story Jayz told throughout American Gangster is fairly accurate. Just like the movie Scarface,which is the blueprint movie as far as gangsters go, "I" feel American Gangster is the blueprint for real gangster rap. With that said, the onlything that could make the cd better would be production and maybe lyrics, when i say lyrics, i mean a different metaphoric scheme used but as far as the storyline everything was on point. And as far as production i liked it cuz im a fan of jazz and oldies but to be accepted by mainstream the beats could have beenbetter. Another thing, i dont know anyone who could have done it better than Jayz but MAYBE Nas as far as mainstream rap, so i think for a while and maybeforever, just like Scareface, this is the blueprint for "Real Ganster Rap"..........Im going to grab my fire proof suit and let flamingbegin......
pimp.gif

Hmm...change the Scareface.

Jay's that dude and I agree with you about the storyline aspect of the album being impeccable.

I been saying the same thing since The Blueprint...he's covered absolutely every aspect of rap.

Being broke, no pops, hustling, dissing women, leaving the game, returning to the game.....he's made every kind of flow there is to make.

That's why I feel Nas is a more complete ARTIST. Jay could never do songs like 'Hip Hop Is Dead" or "War". Yeah he's had a way moresuccesful career but Nas is more of an artist. A fair trade off I think.

i won't flame, but . . .

1) 'American Gangster' is an archetypal post-'96 gangster rap album. But . . . I think the style CAN be varied enough that one album may not besufficient to cover the genre as its sole representative. With that said, it's just as easy to say that no gangster rap albums should have been made after'Straight Outta Compton" or "Ready to Die", although these weren't 'concept albums' that sought to tell the story completely,rise to fall.

2) Besides the fact that "Scarface" is not necessarily the blueprint gangster movie ("Godfather" Parts I & II, "LittleCaesar", "Bonnie & Clyde", and a host of others can all lay valid claims to that title), I must say that just because a quintessential pieceof work exists in a genre doesn't mean that it is closed to new interpretations and works.

3) I will step one foot lightly on your Jay-Z riding bandwagon and say that 'American Gangster' has been one of the better albums of 2007 and doespartially redeem the blunder that was 'Kingdom Come'

4) If so-called 'gangster rappers' don't find something new to talk about or step up their lyricism and music quality, I will also agree that nomore new gangster rap records should be released.

this is the blueprint for "Real Ganster Rap"..........
lets start by saying.. we havent had "gangster rap" since like 93.. man i would've thought you was talkin about MC Ren or somebody

I dont think another cd should come out about drug dealing, how much you sold, about the money you made, how big of a drug dealer you were, how you floss when you come to the club, because "I" feel Jayz covered all boundaries of this in American Gangster and he did in a true life aspect, without gimmicks.
I think you're confusing AG with Cuban Linx.

Originally Posted by Illuztrious

I been saying the same thing since The Blueprint...he's covered absolutely every aspect of rap.

Being broke, no pops, hustling, dissing women, leaving the game, returning to the game.....he's made every kind of flow there is to make.

That's why I feel Nas is a more complete ARTIST. Jay could never do songs like 'Hip Hop Is Dead" or "War". Yeah he's had a way more succesful career but Nas is more of an artist. A fair trade off I think.

nas isnt more complete tho.. he cant even make a decent hype track...nas isnt really versatile at all...well not current nas anyway...maybe prestillmatic...

Originally Posted by iLLscan

I dont think another cd should come out about drug dealing, how much you sold, about the money you made, how big of a drug dealer you were, how you floss when you come to the club, because "I" feel Jayz covered all boundaries of this in American Gangster and he did in a true life aspect, without gimmicks.
I think you're confusing AG with Cuban Linx.

This man speaks the truth, again I hope its clear I'm referring to iLLscan.

smokin.gif

American Gangster is like the sequel to Reasonable Doubt...the before & after... think about it. And once you think about it for a second, I think we wouldall agree that Jay-Z's albums are usually more of a full experience than alot of other products. I like the vibe on this album from front to back. When Jayis on his %!$*, his albums emmerse you into the music. American Gangster (the album) took me right into the movie and the time period in general. It's notperfect but it's damn good.

As far as "what new can be said about crack-rap", I agree...but what about AG would make you feel that way? Its a numerous albums that better capturethat, Jay got 2 in own catolog. And Ive share the same thoughts Illuztrious just said...

what does Nas have to do with this?
laugh.gif

for the sake of argument, it's the opposite IMO.
i think the majority of ppl would agree that Jay is better at making conscious songs (his supposed weakness) than Nas is at making hype/party songs (Nas'weakness) so in that sense, Jay's the more versatile/complete artist.

I agree wit homie, this is like the sequel to Reasonable Doubt

This album is well put together, and it flows from beginning to end....I even listen to the intro everytime, and ending it off with "americangangster" the song.....is just not fair.

I havent heard Cuban Linx but i will give it a listen eventhough i dont think its AS mainstream as American Gangster but ive heard its a classic. As far asStraight Outta of Compton I think its like comparing "Menace to Society" to "Scarface", they both are classics but everybody wanted to beon Scarface level.

You said gangsta rap, NWA started that Gangsta Rap ##%% so they would be the Scarface in this case to say otherwise is disrespectful

^ I mean, dude said he 'wasnt a gangster', then said it was the blueprint to all this 'gangster rap @#%@'....I aint tryna brag about my mathskills, but...

at the end of the day, aint nothing dropping in 2007 the 'blueprint' to anything that deals with dopeboy-rap.

Back
Top Bottom