What non-J's has Tinker Designed

Originally Posted by ididit4theluv

Originally Posted by BOMB SQUAD RECORDS

tinker= the reason behind JB's success.
Michael Jordan + Advertising = The reason for JB's sucess.
Thanks for being realistic. TH is a very talented man. But he couldn't achieve the same success with any old athlete. But MJ could sell shoes that the Dada team designed.....

Id say it was 50/50, Jordans arent the only thing he (Tinker) has had tremendous success with. The Air Max shoes & The Air Trainers both have hadhuge worldwide success in some cases as much or almost as much as jordans. We were all in awe of Mike in those days but his signature shoe line would havenever took off the way it did without Tinker. Im telling you when the 3's then the 4's dropped the shoes were just so dope kids that werent even in tobasketball like that were on them. The design was just way to fresh and thats why so many of us are still hooked.

But he couldn't achieve the same success with any old athlete. But MJ could sell shoes that the Dada team designed.....

Well, yeah you're right. Hell, I"m sure Reebok sold a few of their "X-Beam" shoes because people wanted what Steve Francis was wearing like7 years ago or whenever he was last relevant.

The fact of the matter is that it's a combination of the two. Design plus killer endorsement = huge success. It's not a 50/50 split, you can't puta number on it. The whole was greater than the sum of its parts.

i love these types of threads like it gives me knowledge. like i wish there was a thread about like al the different type of "air technologies" andzoom and wat carbon fiber doe how a shoe is a made and stuff like that.

wow Tinker has either designed 95% of my favorite Nikes ... hes theJordan of sneaker designing IMO , the best by far

Even for those that don't purchase/wear a pair of Jordans, they're even a Tinker Hatfield fan and don't even know it.

Tinker is behind every popular nike design, huaraches, Bo Jackson's, Agassi's, Am90's, Am1's, Revolutions, Jordans 3-15,20 TINKER (and a team)were the ones behind the term "cross training" its crazy, in the sneaker world there is honestly no one more important than him its crazy.

It's not a big seller, but he designed the Zoom PVLite, which was the shoe Tim Mack wore to win the 2004 Olympics in the pole vault. I saw Tinker in Athens at the Olympics sitting in the section with allthe pole vault coaches...he was one of the happiest guys in the stands when the pole vault finished!

Also, that shoe was used by Donald Thomas of the Bahamas to win the world championships in Osaka in Japan last summer.

Why would Tinker waste his time on a pole vaulting shoe? He used to pole vault at Oregon!

Tinker = shoe god. And this from a man who is an architect (his degree is in architecture, not shoe design), he is just a design genius.

Tinker did not think up the concept of Cross-training, Ned Frederick thought up the idea of cross training shoes at Nike. He and Peter Moore hired Tinker to"design an upper for the visible Air midsole". I can't find his first name, but "Parker had alson been working on a new running shoe with asmuch Air stuffed into it as possible." This ____ Parker designed the Air Max air bag and midsole, but again Tinker designed the shoes.

Originally Posted by ididit4theluv

Originally Posted by BOMB SQUAD RECORDS

tinker= the reason behind JB's success.
Michael Jordan + Advertising = The reason for JB's sucess.
Thanks for being realistic. TH is a very talented man. But he couldn't achieve the same success with any old athlete. But MJ could sell shoes that the Dada team designed.....

Well, actually, Mike was about to jump ship to another company after the II's came out. The guys that designed the first 2 Jordans wereleaving Nike and MJ was going with them. Nike begged Mike to come in and see what this new kid had designed for him, and then if he didn't like what hesaw, he would be free to go to whatever company he wanted. MJ said he only showed up out of respect for what Nike had done for him to that point, and went tothe presentation fully intended on leaving the company. Apparently Tinker put on a hell of a show, and then showed Mike the first version of the Jordan III,which completely changed his mind. MJ saw the III's and went nuts. The rest is history. That being said, I'd say Tinker played a pretty big part in thesuccess of Nike/Brand Jordan. Without Tinker designing the III's, we'd all be on here talking about the Adidas Jordan line.

Tinker, for the most part, designed any and every shoe that was hot from 1988 to 1998. Air Max I, 90, BW, 93, the 180's, the Huaraches, the Agassi/TechChallenge line, Trainer I's, the entire Bo line (Trainer SC's, Trainer Max 91's), Revolutions, the list goes on and on. He also came up with theoriginal idea and design for the visible air bubbles in the air soles. The man is amazing.

Peace,
J

6lm7jgl.jpg

eek.gif

XI x XV

^Jshortt Tinker did not design or come up with the idea for visible air bubbles. The people in Exeter came up with that. I will cite it again if need be.
Also... Those two men were Rob Strasser and Peter Moore. They actually wanted MJ to wear a casual line off the court and wear Nike's on the court. The mendidn't have enough money to match what Nike was capable of (even though they were struggling) offering. MJ's dad I believe made him go to the Nikemeeting. He was golfing with Rob and Peter.

Originally Posted by PONRinthisWGM

Did'nt tinker design the P-Rod i's or ii's?
Yes, Tinker did design the P-RODS, along with NUMEROUS other signature shoes. His contributions, creations, and designs to our company would FAREXCEED the space allowed on this message board. That's why he is Vice-President of Innovation Design & Special Projects. FromKobe's, to Pete Sampras's shoes, to Bo Jackson's shoes, to the Huarache line, to the first Lebron, to various track spikes, to the Oregon Ducksuniforms....he does it ALL! He also sometimes collaborates with other designers on certain shoes. He is also the "head" of the Considered Line.He's designed numerous buildings and structures for our Campus, along with our stores.

According to his mouth, he single-handedly "saved" our company by catching Mike's attention with the Air Jordan III. Mike was almost seton leaving and starting his own company, until Tinker showed him the shoe. Mike was blown away because Tinker was the first shoe designer to ever ask his inputand incoporate it into the design cues of the shoe. That's the story he shares with us everytime we ask him about it haha.

I cannot say that one man can be solely responsible for our company's success, but this man
364354c4f2e3fc94f8d16cad50c85db3b85a213.pjpg
CERTAINLY HAS GOTTEN US TO THIS POINT! A "class act" all the wayand definitely cool to talk with.

Well put MenofOregon!

I had the pleasure of touring his design studio in the Mia Hamm building.
It was by far the largest office I ever saw on campus.
I had a great conversation with him and he signed his article in my copy of SLAM KICKS issue #1.
There were concept sketches of Air Jordans that were never produced as well as a full drum set.
It's been several years and I'm no longer an employee, so I guess I can share this.
One sketch was a second generation MORF with an upper consisting of a hexoganol exoskeleton (think chicken wire).
It would transform from low to mid to high top.

Most people don't realize that his brother, Toby, is designer as well.
I know Toby worked on the Air Presto line among others.

cwkjr@hotmail.com

For those of you wondering,

This:

7w8hgck.jpg

Is this:

6832575fdffd5fd16ab5e3b1139b69e59cd1aff.bmp

The Nike Air Pressure, one of Tinker's earlier creations. `89-`90 I believe???? It was our "answer" to reebok's pump. Needless to say itdidn't fare very well. One of our "not so great moments" in the history of the company haha.

his sketches look amazing. I have some dave white paintings, but I would rather have those sketches

Back
Top Bottom