What should we do?

So, we've lived in the same house for ten or more years. When we bought it, there was an empty lot behind it. About five years ago they built a Uhaul office and used the lot as the truck parking. 
The owners of the Uhaul made a barbed wire fence that runs parallel to ours. Ever since the lot began to be used, be have been having problems with them bumping into our fence with their trucks. Today, we checked our fence and there is a place where they fit our metal pole and bent the fence about two feet. So now the fence looks like it is about to fall onto our yard. It is obvious they hit it since the wire fence on their side is a little bent. Along with that, there are about five or more little "dings" on our fence throughout.

What should we do? Sue? Demand they make a new fence?

Originally Posted by CoolGrayMemo

So, we've lived in the same house for ten or more years. When we bought it, there was an empty lot behind it. About five years ago they built a Uhaul office and used the lot as the truck parking. 
The owners of the Uhaul made a barbed wire fence that runs parallel to ours. Ever since the lot began to be used, be have been having problems with them bumping into our fence with their trucks. Today, we checked our fence and there is a place where they fit our metal pole and bent the fence about two feet. So now the fence looks like it is about to fall onto our yard. It is obvious they hit it since the wire fence on their side is a little bent. Along with that, there are about five or more little "dings" on our fence throughout.

What should we do? Sue? Demand they make a new fence?
Move.

I went to talk to them at their office. Some Lil' Wayne looking kid was the worker. As we stepped into the office it reeked of Marijuana. We walked back so that I could show him the damage and there was a little group of smokers there.
He said the manager wasn't there and that he would talk to the manager after.

I called the representative of the regional office (or whatever) and told them too.

I'm thinking about getting a lawyer.

laugh.gif
damn

Goodluck

Take pictures of the fence and if the manager/owner doesn't resolve the issue, kill him or just call a lawyer.

He wants to just pay for a single plank of wood that cracked and just pull the fence/pole back. However, the entire fence is beat-up/crooked because of bumping into it.

Spoiler [+]
New fence is wanted

I just rechecked the entire fence and it is bent in at least three other sections.

I am going to speak to the regional manager and ask her for replace the entire fence. If not, I'll get a lawyer. The fence has weakened since the damage; replacing a single plank and pulling it back will keep it that way. The only way for the fence to return to the original condition would be through a replacement.

wink.gif

So, after contacting half of Uhaul, we finally got the manager to ask us to "get estimates." The first guy came today - $1880 for about 75% of the fence (the other 25% isn't damaged).

I went to give the manager the estimate and he seemed to not believe me - he kept saying "Oh that's too much" and "I don't think we'll pay that." So before leaving the parking lot, I quietly told him that "I would look for other ways to fix the issue."
laugh.gif
. He blew up - kept telling me to not talk because I "would go too far" (I don't know why he said that since I wasn't mad or anything. He said I shouldn't threaten him with suing him (I never said anything about getting a lawyer).

Back
Top Bottom