What sport can you pick up later in life and maybe go pro?

Originally Posted by ai3mac1

And people bringing up cases of a rare phenomenon, there's a reason you can point the exceptions out, cause they're the rare genius talented exceptions
Having enough talent to be a professional athlete period is a rare phenomenon. I doubt most people are underestimating what it takes to be a pro. This is hypothetical question.

Originally Posted by prison mike

Originally Posted by CoupeIt88

Outside of pitching, baseball.

indifferent.gif

I'm serious. Baseball is the only sport where someone considered an athlete from a different sport can come in and find a spot. However, baseball players would get murked if they tried to play any other sport professionally.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
at both of your posts.

Originally Posted by Jking0821

This is a tough question.  If you are good enough to pick up a sport and be a professional that means you have a lot of athletic talent to begin right?

So at age 25 if you took some one who was a professional sprinter and said learn to catch a football or run with one?  I think they might be able to go pro because they have elite speed.

Same with an MMA fighter who is 25 years old.  Maybe....MAYYYBBEEE you could learn to put on pads and play football professionally later in life.

For you to be a professional in any sport you need elite skills.  So i would think that it is definitely possible if you are coordinated at an elite level in something else.  But could an average person pick up a sport and go pro at 25 years old.......an average person can't be a professional athlete if they start a sport at age 1.

No way in hell are you gonna be able to start playing football at age 25.
They could go play baseball tho.

This is a tough question.  If you are good enough to pick up a sport and be a professional that means you have a lot of athletic talent to begin right?

So at age 25 if you took some one who was a professional sprinter and said learn to catch a football or run with one?  I think they might be able to go pro because they have elite speed.

Same with an MMA fighter who is 25 years old.  Maybe....MAYYYBBEEE you could learn to put on pads and play football professionally later in life.

For you to be a professional in any sport you need elite skills.  So i would think that it is definitely possible if you are coordinated at an elite level in something else.  But could an average person pick up a sport and go pro at 25 years old.......an average person can't be a professional athlete if they start a sport at age 1.

I can't think of a good example but Lebron played football in high school so its kinda not right but still....if he didn't lets say.  And he decided at 25 he wanted to try it out.  With his skill set.....you don't think he could????  Great hands, big, tall, fast.  I think he could play TE in the NFL.  It would take years to get the idiosyncrasies down.  But i think he could play. 

I don't think a random dude at a desk job can quit and say at 25 im going to play "any sport"  professionally.  You need a pre existing skill set.

^ Thank you.

I can't think of a good example but Lebron played football in high school so its kinda not right but still....if he didn't lets say.  And he decided at 25 he wanted to try it out.  With his skill set.....you don't think he could????  Great hands, big, tall, fast.  I think he could play TE in the NFL.  It would take years to get the idiosyncrasies down.  But i think he could play. 

I don't think a random dude at a desk job can quit and say at 25 im going to play "any sport"  professionally.  You need a pre existing skill set.

True. I'd like to see him on the defensive side of the ball too. I'd test him out at DE and Safety aswell.

The people who are saying baseball are out of their damn minds. To be honest, I dont think there are many people that can pick up ANY sport later in life and go pro at it, but to say baseball is the easiest is absolutely ridiculous. Baseball is the most difficult sport in the world to play in general, so people picking up the game late have very little chance.

I mean, some of the best athletes in the entire world look like 9 year old girls when they try to play baseball.

Examples:

lebron-james-battingjpg-439a736c3c821ba8.jpg

^ Throw lebron in the outfield today and he's an all star tomorrow.

And, I believe I said "outside of pitching".

roll.gif

Serious question. Let's say he played a whole season and got around 550 AB's.

What would his stats be? Just the main three. AVG, HR, RBI.

I'm fairly certain I can go try out for a local soccer team and at the very least be competitive.

You do that. Then you'll learn just how much more difficult it is to control a soccer ball than what you've seen on TV. You'll feel like you're a baby learning to walk if you're playing against anything but complete noobs. If there's any sport you need to grow up with, it's soccer. I don't know of a single example among soccer greats where someone started playing even relatively late like Hakeem Olajuwon or Tim Duncan in basketball, and turned out to be great.

roll.gif
roll.gif

LeBron couldnt hit BATTING PRACTICE PITCHING.  The furthest he hit a ball was a blooper that landed 5 feet past first base.  Wait until he had to face a pitcher who was throwing pitches 40 MPH faster and with curve balls and what not.  Bron would be lucky to get ONE base hit over the course of a season, let alone being an all star.

And I know what you said. Outside of pitching.  Got it.  But what you fail to understand is what John Wall was doing in that video was NOT pitching.  It was trying to throw a ball 60 feet somewhat accurately.  If he cant do that, he cant play baseball period.  You can forget about pitching. 

You have demonstrated to me that you have never played baseball in your life, and dont have the slightest clue what you are talking about.

Originally Posted by RaWeX05

roll.gif

.000, 0 and 0. If he gets on base he might get a steal or two though.

The range in the outfield would be undeniable but of course he'd have to figure out what that leather thing is for.

This is assuming he's got 0 playing background. If he even played JV ball in high school things could be vary different.

I can't help but laugh at the dudes saying baseball. Y'all don't remember he softball unit in gym class? If you didn't play organized ball growing up you were guaranteed to look like a fool, more so than any other sport.

roll.gif
at dudes thinking baseball is that difficult of a sport. You dudes are making it seem like OP is saying a sport is picked up and you can go pro on the spot. I'm assuming he is talking about after the age of 25 with proper training you can still make it later on. Baseball is certainly one of those sports. Outside of pitching, elite athletes can learn damn near any position in baseball. Batting comes down to timing, with some training some guys can be great at that too. Clearly it will take some time, but by 30 a guy like Bron would still be able to excel if he was able to get things down in those 5 years. 

To answer OP though, MMA is one of those sports you excel in with experience. So if you have time to dedicate your life to training from 25 to lets say 35 and your an elite athlete/fighter you got a good chance. Also boxing although, I don't think your career will go to far, but making it as a pro is very possible. 

Your trying to comparing throwing the first pitch to throwing a ball from the outfield. Horrible comparison. The first pitch is light hearted and not supposed to be athletic at all. Never during a game will that motion be repeated.

Stop. Leave the thread. 

depending on size and athleticism, bball and football. i remember a story about some lineman who didn't start playing football til he was like a sophomore in high school. he was in the band 'til the coach talked to him. he was drafted first round to the ravens. 
not the same, but if you're athletic and have a growth spurt like Anthony Davis had, you can go pro in bball. he went from a 6'3 two guard (which i'm sure he was not that good at) with 1 scholarship to being player of the year and the number 1 pick cause he grew 8 inches. 

Originally Posted by RaWeX05

roll.gif

.021, 1 HR and 2 RBI's. He wouldn't be able to see big league pitches. His physical gifts (height, quickness, vertical) would be useless. Word to Prince Fielder, David Ortiz, and Andrew Jones.

Originally Posted by Wade187

roll.gif
at dudes thinking baseball is that difficult of a sport. You dudes are making it seem like OP is saying a sport is picked up and you can go pro on the spot. I'm assuming he is talking about after the age of 25 with proper training you can still make it later on. Baseball is certainly one of those sports. Outside of pitching, elite athletes can learn damn near any position in baseball. Batting comes down to timing, with some training some guys can be great at that too. Clearly it will take some time, but by 30 a guy like Bron would still be able to excel if he was able to get things down in those 5 years. 

Batting comes down to just timing?  Elite athletes can learn damn near any position?  Have you ever played baseball before?  Because this post leads me to believe there is no chance you have.

Your trying to comparing throwing the first pitch to throwing a ball from the outfield. Horrible comparison. The first pitch is light hearted and not supposed to be athletic at all. Never during a game will that motion be repeated.
You are absolutely right.  A ceremonial first pitch and a throw from the outfield is in fact a HORRIBLE comparison.  Problem is, you are completely missing the point of the comparison itself.  What I was trying to demonstrate, which you clearly missed, was that the ceremonial first pitch is a very easy thing to do.  All you have to do is lob the ball 60 feet.  It is NO WHERE NEAR AS DIFFICULT to do as tracking a ball down in the gap and throwing a 200 foot strike to a cut off man while runners are racing around the bases.  So the fact that these "elite athletes" have a problem lobbing the ball 60 feet should tell anyone with a brain that throwing the ball in from the outfield would be exponentially more difficult for them to do.

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by Wade187

roll.gif

Batting comes down to just timing?  Elite athletes can learn damn near any position?  Have you ever played baseball before?  Because this post leads me to believe there is no chance you have.

You are absolutely right.  A ceremonial first pitch and a throw from the outfield is in fact a HORRIBLE comparison.  Problem is, you are completely missing the point of the comparison itself.  What I was trying to demonstrate, which you clearly missed, was that the ceremonial first pitch is a very easy thing to do.  All you have to do is lob the ball 60 feet.  It is NO WHERE NEAR AS DIFFICULT to do as tracking a ball down in the gap and throwing a 200 foot strike to a cut off man while runners are racing around the bases.  So the fact that these "elite athletes" have a problem lobbing the ball 60 feet should tell anyone with a brain that throwing the ball in from the outfield would be exponentially more difficult for them to do.

Yes I have actually. It's laughable how difficult baseball fans make it seem. Although no one has made it to the majors (lazy dudes) I come from a baseball family, uncles and cousins have played minor league, and they aren't even hard workers when it comes to the game. Everyone I know who's made it somewhere in baseball, aside from pitchers, was able to play damn near every position in high school, and every single one of them was simply a beast as a athlete. As I said you dudes are making it seem like these dudes cannot train and must just walk straight up to a new sport. John Wall works at baseball for 5 years straight, he might not go pro, but he damn sure won't be throwing like that. Baseball is a sport where age is not as much of a factor compared to, football, basketball, and soccer. Your basing your whole argument, off athletes who aren't even attempting to play the sport

hands down the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen posted that wasn't blatant sarcasm or a joke.
for someone to seriously believe this...i don't know man 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom