What unexpected expenses should I save for? Other questions about moving.

Planning to move to NYC as soon as I can (Sorry I for starting one of "these" threads). Tryna make it there in 2-3 years. In the meanwhile I need to get financially ready.

So is it true that NYC landlords want 6 months rent ahead of time (deposit and 5 months)?

If I found a roommate in the East Harlem (El Barrio) hood that is 6-9k

Furniture
3k (IDK pulling that number out of my ***)

How much does it cost for movers to move all your stuff? I checked online and couldnt get a clear answer. One lady said about 3k to move from Boston to NYC on Yahoo answers.

That's 15 stacks. What else would I have to save for that wouldnt be obvious to a first time (on my own) long distance mover?

Also I heard you need decent credit since Manhattan's vacancy rate is less than 1% they can discriminate like that. What credit score do I need?

Last edited:
No. Many people can't afford to drop six months rent in advance. Security deposit, yes. Do you need to live in Manhattan? You can live in Queens or Brooklyn and be 15-25 minutes away from the city by train.

And the vacancy rate isn't telling as to the true factor behind it. Real estate developers and the mega wealthy have purchased spaces in order to artificially drive up rent.

Last edited:
No. Many people can't afford to drop six months rent in advance. Security deposit, yes. Do you need to live in Manhattan? You can live in Queens or Brooklyn and be 15-25 minutes away from the city by train.

I don't need to live in Manhattan. I am cool with living in both Queens and Brooklyn. But those places seem to be just as expensive as El-Barrio

why not the BX boro?

a certain former member said that Grand Concourse was the same as the Champs-Elysees in Paris...can anyone confirm? 

never been to either so i wouldnt know...

Last edited:
^IDK. Can't remember the name of the neighborhood my friend lived in when I visited her. I didnt like it there at all. Even Queens I wasnt feeling much. But not enough to avoid it.

Back
Top Bottom