What used car would you get for around 20k?

Maurader is nice.  you might like a 2010 Camaro (v6) for 20k.     could even go used pontiac G8 gt.

E39 M5. Parts arent expensive at all and lots of the major maintenance items are beginner level DIY. Hell, my 17 year cousin picked up an '02 model for $17.3k w/ 66k miles a year ago. He's done all the fluids, hoses, cooling system(pump/tstat) by a kid who doesnt know squat about cars who just followed the DIY threads on M5board.com. He DD's the car in rain and snow and has tacked on 14k HARD miles since he purchased it. The car never gave him any problems at all. If anything the major things that will cost will be the brakes and the tires which tend to wear out 12k miles depending on your driving style.

E39 M5. Parts arent expensive at all and lots of the major maintenance items are beginner level DIY. Hell, my 17 year cousin picked up an '02 model for $17.3k w/ 66k miles a year ago. He's done all the fluids, hoses, cooling system(pump/tstat) by a kid who doesnt know squat about cars who just followed the DIY threads on M5board.com. He DD's the car in rain and snow and has tacked on 14k HARD miles since he purchased it. The car never gave him any problems at all. If anything the major things that will cost will be the brakes and the tires which tend to wear out 12k miles depending on your driving style.

challenger

m3

g37

not gonna bother looking for a evo, charger, or audi.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

dude has 20k to blow? everything i said can be found for 20 or less. if you cant find it, then you never looking hard enough.

challenger

m3

g37

not gonna bother looking for a evo, charger, or audi.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

dude has 20k to blow? everything i said can be found for 20 or less. if you cant find it, then you never looking hard enough.

Originally Posted by Seattle206

so many questions come to mind.. did his parents buy it for him, or what? is he asian?

so many questions come to mind.. did his parents buy it for him, or what? is he asian?

Originally Posted by scshift

Originally Posted by DT43

I thought leasing a car was just as costly as buying the car flat out?

And OP, how about a used WRX
pimp.gif
people who lease dont do so because of price.. they do it because they dont want to be stuck with a used car or have to worry about repairs.
and who told you that? its not true at all, do you know how leasing works?

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure. Here is what I thought was leasing: you sign a contract with a dealer basically owning a car for X amount of months paying Y amounts of dollars every month. You take care of the maintenance and gas during the X months and return the car when finished to the dealer?

I mean, unless you're saving money leasing, why don't you just buy the car then after you're "finished" with it, just sell it for cheap? It beats giving it right back to the dealer (assuming they're the same price?)

But then again, my parents lease and I'm pretty sure it's something like $300 a month for 36 months which is a little over $10k so I guess they are saving a hell a lot of money.

a lease is essentially paying the depreciation on the car for the period that you use it. say a dealer can sell a brand new model for 30k, but in 3 years they estimate that it will go for 20k. you pay down just the 10k difference over three years, and when your time is up you return it to the dealer. they go off and sell it for 20k, and you are free to lease another brand new car. 

instead of having to pay down the entire value of the car (ie buying), you only pay for the months you own the car. also, while on the lease the dealership will handle all your maintenance and repairs for free whereas that would be coming out of your pocket if you bought. if you want, you can buy it and try to sell it yourself, but thats another hassle. and its common knowledge that the price you get it for from the dealer will likely be higher than what you can sell it for on your own. 

if you're someone who doesn't beat up your car too much and in a stable financial situation, leasing is a good option. if you don't like paying monthly bills or just want to own your car and do what you want with it, buying is better. btw your parents lease at $300/month for 36 months is really cheap. new car payments for a basic Camry will be like $320+ for 5 years. 

Originally Posted by DT43

I thought leasing a car was just as costly as buying the car flat out?

And OP, how about a used WRX
pimp.gif
people who lease dont do so because of price.. they do it because they dont want to be stuck with a used car or have to worry about repairs.
and who told you that? its not true at all, do you know how leasing works?

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure. Here is what I thought was leasing: you sign a contract with a dealer basically owning a car for X amount of months paying Y amounts of dollars every month. You take care of the maintenance and gas during the X months and return the car when finished to the dealer?

I mean, unless you're saving money leasing, why don't you just buy the car then after you're "finished" with it, just sell it for cheap? It beats giving it right back to the dealer (assuming they're the same price?)

But then again, my parents lease and I'm pretty sure it's something like $300 a month for 36 months which is a little over $10k so I guess they are saving a hell a lot of money.

a lease is essentially paying the depreciation on the car for the period that you use it. say a dealer can sell a brand new model for 30k, but in 3 years they estimate that it will go for 20k. you pay down just the 10k difference over three years, and when your time is up you return it to the dealer. they go off and sell it for 20k, and you are free to lease another brand new car. 

instead of having to pay down the entire value of the car (ie buying), you only pay for the months you own the car. also, while on the lease the dealership will handle all your maintenance and repairs for free whereas that would be coming out of your pocket if you bought. if you want, you can buy it and try to sell it yourself, but thats another hassle. and its common knowledge that the price you get it for from the dealer will likely be higher than what you can sell it for on your own. 

if you're someone who doesn't beat up your car too much and in a stable financial situation, leasing is a good option. if you don't like paying monthly bills or just want to own your car and do what you want with it, buying is better. btw your parents lease at $300/month for 36 months is really cheap. new car payments for a basic Camry will be like $320+ for 5 years. 

You've got to be kidding me. 
laugh.gif
  I don't know what parts are for an M5 but I can't imagine that parts on a nearly $100K car(new) are inexpensive.

You've got to be kidding me. 
laugh.gif
  I don't know what parts are for an M5 but I can't imagine that parts on a nearly $100K car(new) are inexpensive.

Originally Posted by STAYFRESH

Originally Posted by High Altitude

Honda Civic Si

Also with 20k why not just get a new car?

have any of u ever bought a new car for 20k?what kind of car did u get?a geo?kia?taurus?  
IMO, you can get a solid new car for 20k.  Kia and Hyundai have stepped their game up.  I would not have said this a 4-5 years ago though.

Originally Posted by STAYFRESH

Originally Posted by High Altitude

Honda Civic Si

Also with 20k why not just get a new car?

have any of u ever bought a new car for 20k?what kind of car did u get?a geo?kia?taurus?  
IMO, you can get a solid new car for 20k.  Kia and Hyundai have stepped their game up.  I would not have said this a 4-5 years ago though.

Originally Posted by Lstylez23

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

Originally Posted by ninjahood

i personally would take this route but in a american muscle twist....get a g body or f body, and load it with pro-touring equipment & a monstrous crate engine.
2004_mercury_marauder_4_dr_std_sedan-pic-38847.jpeg

or go older and put money into it, either way:
pimp.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
 is that an old lady driving that in the picture.. id pass
 The Marauder is a bad @*% car up there with the 94-96 Impala ss

Originally Posted by ninjahood

i personally would take this route but in a american muscle twist....get a g body or f body, and load it with pro-touring equipment & a monstrous crate engine.

pimp.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by trethousandgt

pimp.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
After I get some bread saved up over the next few years I might sell my SS to pick up a Marauder, or completely redo the interior, paint etc on the SS. Im kinda apprehensive though cuz I know its money I wouldnt get back if I sold it

Originally Posted by trethousandgt

pimp.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
After I get some bread saved up over the next few years I might sell my SS to pick up a Marauder, or completely redo the interior, paint etc on the SS. Im kinda apprehensive though cuz I know its money I wouldnt get back if I sold it

Back
Top Bottom