Whats America's Sport?

Definitely football. Just check the damn ratings.

They purposefully don't air SNF during the World Series time because they feel that people are going to focus on SNF and not want to watch the WorldSeries. Honestly, I don't blame them cuz baseball is 100% PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRE GARBAGE

its football. when you watch espn, they still show nfl live even 3 months after the season has ended

Originally Posted by nYcHipHopHippo

Originally Posted by iNiNe5

football.... superbowl ratings kills WS ratings every year. everybody watched the SB whereas only some people watch the WS. every boy in america wants to play football first. if they can;t, then they settle for everything else. colleges change conferences for football purposes, not basketball. football is huge, it's money in this country.
wut does superbowl ratings have to do with this. obviously if it's a one game championship more people are gunna watch. and most of the people at my sb party i had aren't even fans of the sport. they just came for a social activity.
thanks for making my point
those people have never touched a football in their lives...they don't watch football on any other day not called the superbowl. they barely pay attention to the game and just go cuz it's a party. they are forced to conform because everyone else is sitting and watching the game, but in their heads they're thinking wth is this.

they go for a party...not for a game. the people who watch the world series aren't at a party. they tune in every game from their crib for 4-7 games.

more people watch the super bowl than the superbowl than the world series = football is america's sport?

logical fallacies ftl
you made my point again.

if the country's most popular, most culturally influential, largest revenue generating, most TV program preempting, most mass appealing sport played onlyin the USA by only AMERICAN athletes, is not considered "america's sport", then what is? really, what could it be?

please don;t say baseball when that sport's best players aren't even american.

Originally Posted by NyRapisBack

They purposefully don't air SNF during the World Series time because they feel that people are going to focus on SNF and not want to watch the World Series. Honestly, I don't blame them cuz baseball is 100% PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRE GARBAGE
wait theres no SNF this week due to world series?
mad.gif
this justmakes me hate baseball even more, I still have no idea whos playing is the series

football.... superbowl ratings kills WS ratings every year. everybody watched the SB whereas only some people watch the WS. every boy in america wants to play football first. if they can;t, then they settle for everything else. colleges change conferences for football purposes, not basketball. football is huge, it's money in this country.
wut does superbowl ratings have to do with this. obviously if it's a one game championship more people are gunna watch. and most of the people at my sb party i had aren't even fans of the sport. they just came for a social activity.
those people have never touched a football in their lives...they don't watch football on any other day not called the superbowl. they barely pay attention to the game and just go cuz it's a party. they are forced to conform because everyone else is sitting and watching the game, but in their heads they're thinking wth is this.

they go for a party...not for a game. the people who watch the world series aren't at a party. they tune in every game from their crib for 4-7 games.

more people watch the super bowl than the superbowl than the world series = football is america's sport?

logical fallacies ftl
you made my point again.

if the country's most popular, most culturally influential, largest revenue generating, most TV program preempting, most mass appealing sport played only in the USA by only AMERICAN athletes, is not considered "america's sport", then what is? really, what could it be?

Sorry homie. Been reading you guys go back and forth. Although I agree with you that football has become America's sport, your reasoning is completelyflawed. Comparing the Superbowl to the World Series is just silly. How can you compare a championship game to a championship series?

The 2008 MLB all star game had more than double the amount of viewers than the 2008 Pro Bowl. Does that fact alone make baseball America's sport? No itdoesnt. I agree with your opinion that football is, but your reasoning to back up your opinion is flawed and idiotic.

football is ridiculously overrated

Football is a great sport but the ESPN-NFL hype axis is something I and many sports fans would not miss. The celebration of overzealous fans, ESPN'sobsession with Pac-Man Jones or some other player du jour's personal life, repetitive and baseless speculation about at most two or three star players'injuries every week, Rodger Goodell's self assumed role of moral enforcer and finer of plays that were not even flagged, the legions of paramilitarycommentators that celebrate the commissioner's permanent martial law, the millions of men with seeking to fill a paternal void by watching some formercoach spout of platitudes, comparing the NFL to fighting in a war or worse yet the even more frequent comparisons to working in an office, the sudden trend ofmaking sure that the word "football" is used every two seconds on ESPN "this football team needs to get out on the football field and play somebetter football or they will lose this football game and many other football games and have a disappointing football season," announcers marveling atteams going from first to worse or worst to first as if it is rare in today's hard cap league and finally the fact that LA will never get an NFL team.

Sometimes less is more when it comes to selling the game. The NFL, a decade or two ago, got better ratings than any other professional sports league and it waswith a marketing that implies that unless you watch every NFL game on TV as well at least 20 hours per week of mindless chit chat shows, you're light inthe loafers and with the terrorists.

Oh well, no amount of over the top marketing or vapid talking heads can affect the quality of the games themselves and the actual competition is as good asever.

Originally Posted by dland24

logical fallacies ftl
you made my point again.

if the country's most popular, most culturally influential, largest revenue generating, most TV program preempting, most mass appealing sport played only in the USA by only AMERICAN athletes, is not considered "america's sport", then what is? really, what could it be?

Sorry homie. Been reading you guys go back and forth. Although I agree with you that football has become America's sport, your reasoning is completely flawed. Comparing the Superbowl to the World Series is just silly. How can you compare a championship game to a championship series?

The 2008 MLB all star game had more than double the amount of viewers than the 2008 Pro Bowl. Does that fact alone make baseball America's sport? No it doesnt. I agree with your opinion that football is, but your reasoning to back up your opinion is flawed and idiotic.
you are comparing a couple of exhibition games to the most important game/series in the sport. THAT is idiotic. there's a reason why thecountry shuts down for the superbowl and nothing else. because it has become a cultural event. it has spanned more than just the sports community. the factthat when the only sporting event the average non-sports person actually knows about and cares about and looks forward to because of all the stuff that happensaround it (parties, halftime, etc...) tells me it's "america's sport" because it's so influential it effects the country culturally.

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

Its defintely football. Its very popular everywhere except like the Northeast where Baseball and Basketball are king
ehhhhh i dont know about that homie. I live in NY and people up here are ALWAYS watching football on Sundays above everything else and always gocrazy for their Giants/Jets. Last year NY was CRAZY during the Giants run.

But in NY i dont know about the entire northeast but basketball is king. NY is the mecca of basketball, and although it is not like everybody watches theKnicks (because most people are fair weather fans) but in the 90s when the Knicks would make their runs those were the craziest games out of any NY sports teamand although it was a series people in NY would treat every single Knicks/Bulls, or Knick/Heat, or Knicks/Pacers game like it was the superbowl. People lovedthe Yanks WS runs but i cant say the same about the intensity than it was when the Knicks were winning. And if the Knicks ever do start winning again people inNY would go crazy for the Knicks, and even though the Knicks suck true fans like me and a bunch of others are still crazy for the Knicks i dont know how manyother fans would be able to deal with such misery for that long and still stay loyal.

Originally Posted by RDubb

Originally Posted by NyRapisBack

They purposefully don't air SNF during the World Series time because they feel that people are going to focus on SNF and not want to watch the World Series. Honestly, I don't blame them cuz baseball is 100% PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRE GARBAGE
wait theres no SNF this week due to world series?
mad.gif
this just makes me hate baseball even more, I still have no idea whos playing is the series
Yeah I hear you. Its like this every year.

But whatever...

Football without question. No other sport comes close to its dominance over the U.S. media. I mean baseball is not even exciting. Its America's pastime butthat is slowly dwindling.

Back
Top Bottom