What's good my Asian NTers Vol. Eating at an Asian restaurant

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

you can use the term East Asian then.
however, the point semi remains though, not all East Asian cultures have the same food culture... Chinese, Japanese...vastly different from Viet, Thai...

for example...one could even say that Thai food culture is more aligned with Indian food/cuisine than it is with Chinese food.

Yeah that was my bad, I wasn't trying to be offensive. Again I was generalizing with the cultures and the foods they eat, I was trying to say Asian countries which eat rice and noodles, especially noodles in soup.

Never thought Oriental was offensive though. I guess you learn something new every day

That would be news to me if the word Oriental is offensive. Must only be in certain areas. I mean the biggest Asian Supermarket in Orlando is called First Oriental and I have never heard anyone say it should be called something else cause its offensive.

That would be news to me if the word Oriental is offensive. Must only be in certain areas. I mean the biggest Asian Supermarket in Orlando is called First Oriental and I have never heard anyone say it should be called something else cause its offensive.

Originally Posted by asianplayer

i think it has something to do with products being called oriental being ok... as long as you aren't referring to a person.

i see "oriental markets" all day here too.  i don't get it.

Originally Posted by asianplayer

i think it has something to do with products being called oriental being ok... as long as you aren't referring to a person.

i see "oriental markets" all day here too.  i don't get it.

Originally Posted by scshift

When I say Oriental I meant East Asian, the cultures with rice and noodles more integrated into their culture, like China, Japan, North/South Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, etc. Didn't want to say Asian and include the Middle East, India, etc.
Ironically, you were doing just that by using the term "Oriental," word to Edward Said.

Originally Posted by scshift

When I say Oriental I meant East Asian, the cultures with rice and noodles more integrated into their culture, like China, Japan, North/South Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, etc. Didn't want to say Asian and include the Middle East, India, etc.
Ironically, you were doing just that by using the term "Oriental," word to Edward Said.

To answer your question. I am 100% chinese and I just scoop up the rice to my mouth with my chop sticks. As for noodles treat it like spaghetti... Like how you use a fork and you try to get a hold of mouthful amount. Instead of slurping the noodles, you just simply stuff the noodles in your mouth, let go of chop sticks and stuff some more and repeat.

To answer your question. I am 100% chinese and I just scoop up the rice to my mouth with my chop sticks. As for noodles treat it like spaghetti... Like how you use a fork and you try to get a hold of mouthful amount. Instead of slurping the noodles, you just simply stuff the noodles in your mouth, let go of chop sticks and stuff some more and repeat.

There is nothing wrong with putting the bowl to your mouth. I do it at home a lot when I was younger. I don't do it as much now though. When I go out and eat I try to pick up the rice and food with the chopstick and put it in my mouth. Just trying to not look like a savage.
laugh.gif

There is nothing wrong with putting the bowl to your mouth. I do it at home a lot when I was younger. I don't do it as much now though. When I go out and eat I try to pick up the rice and food with the chopstick and put it in my mouth. Just trying to not look like a savage.
laugh.gif

There are no rules to eating. I mean you want us to tell you how many times to chew before swallowing. 
laugh.gif
 It not like a fancy french restaurant where you have 50 different forks and spoons for each course. Just do you. 

There are no rules to eating. I mean you want us to tell you how many times to chew before swallowing. 
laugh.gif
 It not like a fancy french restaurant where you have 50 different forks and spoons for each course. Just do you. 

Originally Posted by SamDUH562

what the hell 
laugh.gif
(im asian)
idk any asians that eat like that other than goku
use a spoon for your rice and chopsticks with a spoon for your noodles
when eating noodles pull it out and bite (pause)
when eating rice just eat it normally with a spoon
this.

just eat with a spoon and a fork if you're having a hard time.

fc15wrote:

what the hell
laugh.gif
(im asian)
use a spoon for your rice and chopsticks with aspoon for your noodles
Spoon forrice?  Where did you learn thisfrom?

Filipinos do this all the time over here; that is, if they're not eating using only their hands (kamayan-style).
pimp.gif

We do know how to use proper cutlery, though.

Oriental is an offensive word? Really?

what the hell 
laugh.gif
(im asian)
this.

fc15wrote:

what the hell
laugh.gif
(im asian)
use a spoon for your rice and chopsticks with aspoon for your noodles
Spoon forrice?  Where did you learn thisfrom?

Filipinos do this all the time over here; that is, if they're not eating using only their hands (kamayan-style).
pimp.gif

We do know how to use proper cutlery, though.

Oriental is an offensive word? Really?

Originally Posted by zk1MPLS

what the hell 
laugh.gif
(im asian)
this.

smh for the white wash asians. i grew up eating like the "Goku Style." only time imma eat with a spoon is when im at a pho restaurant where i cant get a hold of the bowl because its too big

what the hell 
laugh.gif
(im asian)
this.

smh for the white wash asians. i grew up eating like the "Goku Style." only time imma eat with a spoon is when im at a pho restaurant where i cant get a hold of the bowl because its too big

^
laugh.gif
Not all Asians use bowls all the time to eat food, though. We use plates more often.
smile.gif

It depends on which culture you are dining with. Personally, I just eat like the people around me; no problems eating with a bowl and chopsticks.

^
laugh.gif
Not all Asians use bowls all the time to eat food, though. We use plates more often.
smile.gif

It depends on which culture you are dining with. Personally, I just eat like the people around me; no problems eating with a bowl and chopsticks.

Originally Posted by ThiPham

what the hell 
laugh.gif
(im asian)
this.

Seriously, if u're Asian and u don't know how to use chopsticks your Asian race card should be revoked
sick.gif
.  What kinda Asian uses a spoon to eat rice?
laugh.gif

Now that I think about it the majority of my family and extended family all eat like Goku
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
.  Pick up the bowl and just chug the rice down with your chopsticks
roll.gif

what the hell 
laugh.gif
(im asian)
this.

Seriously, if u're Asian and u don't know how to use chopsticks your Asian race card should be revoked
sick.gif
laugh.gif

Now that I think about it the majority of my family and extended family all eat like Goku
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
.  Pick up the bowl and just chug the rice down with your chopsticks
roll.gif

Originally Posted by hongcouver604

this.

sick.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Pick up the bowl and just chug the rice down with your chopsticks
roll.gif
I definitely eat like this when I'm at home. Eating at a restaurant is a different story though

Originally Posted by hongcouver604

this.

sick.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Pick up the bowl and just chug the rice down with your chopsticks
roll.gif
I definitely eat like this when I'm at home. Eating at a restaurant is a different story though

Back
Top Bottom