Whats the HARDEST position to play in ALL OF SPORTS???

Bo55 - i think in many ways you just made MY point even more. For one thing though, not all teams call the game from the dugout - if we're talking aboutthe best catchers (although it's a lost art and these guys are rare nowadays), most of those catchers are very much in charge of the game, defensively. Andwhether they're hitting 250 or not, they're still hitting at a major league level AND being major league catchers.. two incredibly difficult,completely different things - it's rare that a guy can master one of those things, these guys have to have both.

A catcher is always throwing to an undefended target without the threat that his throw might be intercepted and could potentially cost his team points. Most often, a catcher is called upon to throw a runner out at second and there are not many guys in baseball who are going to score on an overthrow to second. Typically, they advance to third and the score does not change.
Here you speak as though it's just a cake walk throwing the ball from home to 2nd on a rope and getting a runner out... thats it's somesort of easy throw. Trust, throwing a ball from home to second, maybe even from your knees sometimes, is a much tougher throw than 95 percent of the passes quarterback will make during the average game.

BUT - this is only a part of the reason catchers even matter - their more important use is in keeping balls from getting past them.. you know how tough it isto block and control a major league pitchers throw? It's an artform and takes years of practice to master.
Additionally, whereas the QB has to remember dozens of plays, each receiver's and back's alignment and pattern, a catcher need only remember the types of pitches his current pitcher is able to throw. Most starting pitchers have about 3 good pitches: A fastball, an off-speed pitch, and a pitch with movement (curve, splitter, slider). Some have a couple more, but the catcher has nowhere near the number of things to remember that a QB does.
Simply having to know more doesn't mean it's tougher to play that position. Intelligence shouldn't be the key attribute here whentalking about athletics, especially considering there's only about 4 quarterbacks in the world right now that are even capable of making it through theirprogressions on a regular basis - most offenses are so dumbed down because there's a complete lack of intelligent QB's these days. Even pro bowlerslike Big Ben rarely make it to their third option before breaking the play down and scrambling out of the pocket.

I'm not saying playing QB is easy, but the things asked of you physically are not nearly as difficult as a catcher, imo.

qb in football

but i played baseball (an outfielder), but did some catching during practice a couple times, and i have a lot of respect for catchers. kneeling down, catching,blocking balls, and avoiding the occasional bat hitting you in the back of the head has to be up there. dont know how they last 9innings.

he was being sarcastic and saying it's soooo easy that anyone can do it. i nfact there are six living on his block alone. Sarcasm.
I thought this was quite clear, but I guess not.
eyes.gif

Craftsy21 wrote:
Bo55 - i think in many ways you just made MY point even more. For one thing though, not all teams call the game from the dugout - if we're talking aboutthe best catchers (although it's a lost art and these guys are rare nowadays)

If they are the exception and not the rule they have no bearing on the arguement.

Craftsy21 wrote:

Here you speak as though it's just a cake walk throwing the ball from home to 2nd on a rope and getting a runner out... thats it's some sort of easythrow. Trust, throwing a ball from home to second, maybe even from your knees sometimes, is a much tougher throw than 95 percent of the passes quarterback willmake during the average game.

It's not easy, but it is easier than doing something under the threat of interception or sack. A good catcher needs to go pop-to-popin 2.2 seconds. I don't argue that it is a skill, but nobody is trying to tackle him while he does it. The only pressure is that which he mentally appliesto himself.

Craftsy21
wrote:

Simply having to know more doesn't mean it's tougher to play that position.

I disagree. If intelligence did not matter the NFL would not administer the Wonderlic test.

Craftsy21 wrote:

Even pro bowlers like Big Ben rarely make it to their third option before breaking the play down and scrambling out of the pocket.

Quarterbacks scramble because there are big men trying to smash them into the ground or nobody is open, not because they can't remember where theirreceivers are going.

Craftsy21 wrote:

I'm not saying playing QB is easy, but the things asked of you physically are not nearly as difficult as a catcher, imo.

While I agree that catchers have to be physically gifted to play the position, the question posed in the post is "Whatis the hardest position to play?" and not "What is the most physically demanding?" The two are very different because the former considers notonly physical requirements, but mental attributes as well. The latter addresses only the physical nature of the position.

off_line.gif
offbad how are you going to say badminton without showing Lin Dan or Peter Gade? Badminton isharder than it looks but still pretty easy.

I'll go with a hockey goalie.

Originally Posted by IM LIKE PELE

Originally Posted by PrinSe3

qb and even though i dont even like hockey goalie is hard as $$@%

goalie in hockey????

hahahahahaha that is a false statement...all they do is sit on their knees for three 20 minute periods...you might as well have a 600 pound sumo wrestler just sit there and clog up the whole space of the net...
that is the most ignorant statement i've ever heard on niketalk...And for you to say it is a "false" statement makes it evenworse...maybe if you actually watched a hockey game, you would see that the goalies are the most athletic and flexible players in all of sports. Goaltending iswithout a doubt the hardest position to play in sports....It is SOOOOO much more than just "sitting on their knees".
smh.gif

For all of you who refuse to watch a hockey game and still think you are qualified to say that goalies have easy jobs..... here is a pic of EvgeniNabokov.....just a small sample of what goalies have to do.

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

For all of you who refuse to watch a hockey game and still think you are qualified to say that goalies have easy jobs..... here is a pic of Evgeni Nabokov.....just a small sample of what goalies have to do.

hahah...

i've been to navy's house before...

I was being sarcastic about hockey goalies...but its just cuz I hate hockey cuz its such a boring sport and I definitely do not think goalies havethe hardest position in all of sports

^ I played youth hockey and soccer (I was a winger), and I HATED it when we'd run certain drills and I'd have to step into goal for periods of time.Granted nothing was really expected of me when I was in there, but still it was horrible. I can't imagine doing that for 60 to 90 minutes.

And though I never actually, got into a game as one (mostly because I'd average about two picks per) trying out for/semi-playing QB was one of the moststressful things I've ever been through athletically. I was so scared of $$*+#@% up, making a bad read, getting yelled at by the coach... The mental tollis ridiculous.

also..I will say this even though I love the sport; goalies in soccer shouldn't even be in the top 5 for hardest positions in sports...
infact, no position in soccer should be ranked in the top 5 for sports' hardest positions...

I play soccer and have to say that the hardest position in the sport would be outside midfielder...simply because you are a CB and a WR at the sametime...gotta make runs down the field to beat your guy and then run back if your team loses the ball and the other winger is running to get open...it takes alot of stamina...

^ 100 m.p.h. pucks necessitate lots of pads. I have heard defensemen occasionally get their leg broken by shots.

I think goalies have the single coolest piece of athletic equipment: Their masks. Some of them are outrageous!

Here's a good one:

54d35ce8619f7f81477955829a4f7f01f37d36e.pjpg

Follow the link for a great slideshow ofmasks.

but its just cuz I hate hockey cuz its such a boring sport
boring? i'm not a big fan of soccer, nor hockey...but i would watch 10 hockey games in a row, before i sit thru one soccer game.

I think its QB. Just about anything where you control the offense like PG too. Don't sleep but Lacrosse. Midfielders have to run up and down the field andthey are usually the ones setting up teammates and cutting.

what about the position that has the most pressure on them?

imunna have to go kicker.....
not doing anything all day but placekick and then all of a sudden the games on the line...and its up to you

what about the position that has the most pressure on them?

imunna have to go kicker.....
not doing anything all day but placekick and then all of a sudden the games on the line...and its up to you

Ehh, I'm sorry but having as strong background in soccer I've always found placekicking unbelievably easy. I can hit 35, sometimes even 40 yardsand I'm still not in college... I understand the pressure argument but most of the time you are kicking straight ahead, alright that kicking in the winterin windy conditions is probably a lot harder but I def. don't think it's the position where you feel the most pressure.

Hockey Goalie is def up there. Those shots are coming at them so fast and the puck is so small.

Originally Posted by Da Sun Gawd

Hockey goalie easy. They've got to protect that small net, players are coming at them and the puck gets up to about 60-80 mph

after a pass...one timers can be up to 130...at the allstar game fastest shot was 104....and the puck was still....

as for me i think the hardest position is a baseball batter....small ball...comin at 90 mph and even a fast ball curves a little....i am 100%certain that over half of NIKETALK could not even foul off a pitch by josh beckett, d-train, barry zito (all u bay area people), derrick lowe, matt chico (mycousin)....it is the hardest thing to do in all sports...

Back
Top Bottom