What's your opinion on unpaid internships?

To answer the quote directly, I want to preserve the option for the firm to offer paid or unpaid internships and preserve the right for people to decide what they want to take.
So you wanna give a firm the option to pay or not pay their interns?

Gee...I wonder which one they’ll choose and what class of people will get a leg-up based on the decision.

Unpaid internships can be predatory, but sometimes they are helpful. Just move accordingly. Know that they are using you just as much if not more than you are using them.

Jane Slater and Joy Taylor talking about unpaid internships is rich af (literally)

One has a hall of fame level brother in the nfl and the other’s grandpa runs a billion dollar company in Texas. Yet both are in tying to front like they got it out the mud with unpaid internships. There’s nothing rich people love more than telling you how they struggled and grind to reach the level they’re at. Get the **** outta here.

Unpaid internships can be predatory, but sometimes they are helpful. Just move accordingly. Know that they are using you just as much if not more than you are using them.

Yes, not denying they could/have help/helped many but in many cases I think it is used as a barrier to entry.

very prevalent in the DC area, especially Hill internships or interning for "thinktanks/researchers" ... I did my fair share during undergrad thinking they would get somewhere :smh:

My man was just explaining it to me.

Oh they paid, pages and organizers are often connected. Especially ones from out of town cuz you need to live somewhere and they often stay on the hill. There's a whole network of places to live....when I lived with white girls I used to party with some of them in their beginning stages. Group houses are really popular with them too.

very prevalent in the DC area, especially Hill internships or interning for "thinktanks/researchers" ... I did my fair share during undergrad thinking they would get somewhere :smh:
On topic i'd skip these if possible, like said it's systemically meant to keep circulating people with means. There are companies that pay you a full wage plus room and board (in a luxury spot no less) for the duration. Gotta find a company that values investing in people.

So you wanna give a firm the option to pay or not pay their interns?

Gee...I wonder which one they’ll choose and what class of people will get a leg-up based on the decision.
So if a white person takes an unpaid internship it's because the firm is intentionally crowding out certain classes.

But if a black person takes an unpaid internship it's because the firm is perpetuating racism by not paying for labor.

Got it.

I did two unpaid internships with the Clippers during the Donald Sterling era. At the time, I was ecstatic. Working for my favorite team was dope. Made some friends and connections that I still talk to today. But they definitely just wanted the free labor under the guise of “experience.”

One intern was fired for scalping tickets that the team gifted us outside of Staples Center :lol: :smh: He got pissed, hired a lawyer, and filed a class action suit against the team. A few years later I got a check in the mail for like $1700 :lol:

So if a white person takes an unpaid internship it's because the firm is intentionally crowding out certain classes.

But if a black person takes an unpaid internship it's because the firm is perpetuating racism by not paying for labor.

Got it.

your logic generator works better than this.

by simple, well-established demographics, there are more white Americans in a position to pursue unpaid elements of a career path.

if a requirement to enter that field is unpaid internship, there will be a disproportionate amount of white Americans in that field.

this systematic phenomenon, from a wider view, entrenches the existing caste system by boxing out candidates of certain classes.

this helps perpetuate structural racism.

I did two unpaid internships with the Clippers during the Donald Sterling era. At the time, I was ecstatic. Working for my favorite team was dope. Made some friends and connections that I still talk to today. But they definitely just wanted the free labor under the guise of “experience.”

One intern was fired for scalping tickets that the team gifted us outside of Staples Center :lol: :smh: He got pissed, hired a lawyer, and filed a class action suit against the team. A few years later I got a check in the mail for like $1700 :lol:
:smh: Then you realize how much he was worth and how much he sold for.

When did I mention race?
My apologies. I work in this space and know that introducing class is simply a nicer way to highlight structural racism. In fact, race is positively correlated with class.

If you did not mean to introduce this nuance, again, apologies.

your logic generator works better than this.

by simple, well-established demographics, there are more white Americans in a position to pursue unpaid elements of a career path.

if a requirement to enter that field is unpaid internship, there will be a disproportionate amount of white Americans in that field.

this systematic phenomenon, from a wider view, entrenches the existing caste system by boxing out candidates of certain classes.

this helps perpetuate structural racism.
Agreed. I simply do not want to take this option away from firms. I would like firms to crowd out firms that do not offer paid internships.

If you required firms to pay interns, this might disproportionately impact minorities more than the current setup.

with all respect, did you grow up privilege?

At the very least interns should be paid minimum wage.

then you realize minimum wage is this:
1614705471419.png

...and you start to realize why we don't have class mobility in this country...generally speaking, you die on the level you were born.

:smh: Then you realize how much he was worth and how much he sold for.

I knew the intern got fired pretty quickly but this is hilarious. He filed a lawsuit for 2 months :rofl: And I’m pretty confident he was not working anywhere near 40/50 hours a week. But kudos to him for forcing the clippers to pay. I believe they’ve been offering paid internships ever since. I could be wrong tho.

then you realize minimum wage is this:
1614705471419.png

...and you start to realize why we don't have class mobility in this country...generally speaking, you die on the level you were born.
While it’s not much it’s at least enough to cover the cost of transportation and lunch.

It would suck to literally pay to work for someone else.

In Toronto (Ontario) minimum wage is $14

Canada wide is $11

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom