When did the "general consensus" for Greatest Album move from Paid In Full to Illmatic?

I got mad respect for Ra but dude is limited by his generation. Nas took it to the next level, Ra just got everybody there.

I got mad respect for Ra but dude is limited by his generation. Nas took it to the next level, Ra just got everybody there.

Paid in full is lambo countach....did its thing and changed da game but illmatic is da murc....it stepped it up in every single aspect.

Paid in full is lambo countach....did its thing and changed da game but illmatic is da murc....it stepped it up in every single aspect.

For me personally it could go either way every other day. Both rediculous records. Nas really is an extension of Ra , I know everyone is in some way shape or form, but Nas comes the closest. Especially on Illmatic.

As for SHWAP's question. It really just is a generational gap. A lot of dudes came up not having heard Ra. Meanwhile Nas is still dropping gems so its easier to get up on his older stuff wether you came up listening to it or not.

But as stated, you can't go wrong with either.

For me personally it could go either way every other day. Both rediculous records. Nas really is an extension of Ra , I know everyone is in some way shape or form, but Nas comes the closest. Especially on Illmatic.

As for SHWAP's question. It really just is a generational gap. A lot of dudes came up not having heard Ra. Meanwhile Nas is still dropping gems so its easier to get up on his older stuff wether you came up listening to it or not.

But as stated, you can't go wrong with either.

It's kind of obvious that as time progresses the older stuff will start getting less mentions. There's a clear age gap between those who favor Paid in Full and those who favor Illmatic. Given that most youngins these days aren't even familiar with Rakim or other rappers of that era, and they weren't around to experience the impact that album had, it makes sense that they will choose Nas (a rapper they are more familiar with). Personally I'd take Illmatic over Paid in Full. This thread also limits it to these two albums but there's probably a good dozen or more albums you can make strong arguments for. No 'It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back' mention ? etc. As long as we can all agree that these are amongst the greatest albums, fighting over the order you rank them in is pointless and all about personal preference.

It's kind of obvious that as time progresses the older stuff will start getting less mentions. There's a clear age gap between those who favor Paid in Full and those who favor Illmatic. Given that most youngins these days aren't even familiar with Rakim or other rappers of that era, and they weren't around to experience the impact that album had, it makes sense that they will choose Nas (a rapper they are more familiar with). Personally I'd take Illmatic over Paid in Full. This thread also limits it to these two albums but there's probably a good dozen or more albums you can make strong arguments for. No 'It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back' mention ? etc. As long as we can all agree that these are amongst the greatest albums, fighting over the order you rank them in is pointless and all about personal preference.

Y'all dont understand.....Paid In Full was dropped in 87!!!...so ahead of its time. That's why Rakim is the God MC.

Y'all dont understand.....Paid In Full was dropped in 87!!!...so ahead of its time. That's why Rakim is the God MC.

I think a lot of us are saying the same thing.

Everything advances.

New Jordan's are better performance shoes than Jordan 1's. But everyone respects the 1's as the game changer.

Sure, Air Max 2009's are more comfortable. But everyone loves the 87's.

The Iphone is clearly more advanced than the brick cell phone. But the brick was the game changer.

But without Paid In Full, there is no Illmatic. So I think it's pretty clear that one was more significant than the other. As for which is better, well, again, one is more advanced.

blackmagus brought up some great points. There was no hype machine around PIF. There was no Sony pushing it. No Source adds. No Primo/Pete Rock/Q Tip/Large Professor co signs.

No super producers to each throw a beat on that album. I think things like that should point to just how incredible PIF was for it's time. The song "Paid In Full" was one of the first big "gangster" rap records.

Has Nas had a single song as powerful as "Paid In Full"? The original and the Coldcut RMX? Maybe "The World Is Yours"?

Everything changed after Paid In Full. Not sure that's the case with Illmatic. Because for the most part, the dummy @*!@ had already taken over rap and it's stayed that way since.

I think a lot of us are saying the same thing.

Everything advances.

New Jordan's are better performance shoes than Jordan 1's. But everyone respects the 1's as the game changer.

Sure, Air Max 2009's are more comfortable. But everyone loves the 87's.

The Iphone is clearly more advanced than the brick cell phone. But the brick was the game changer.

But without Paid In Full, there is no Illmatic. So I think it's pretty clear that one was more significant than the other. As for which is better, well, again, one is more advanced.

blackmagus brought up some great points. There was no hype machine around PIF. There was no Sony pushing it. No Source adds. No Primo/Pete Rock/Q Tip/Large Professor co signs.

No super producers to each throw a beat on that album. I think things like that should point to just how incredible PIF was for it's time. The song "Paid In Full" was one of the first big "gangster" rap records.

Has Nas had a single song as powerful as "Paid In Full"? The original and the Coldcut RMX? Maybe "The World Is Yours"?

Everything changed after Paid In Full. Not sure that's the case with Illmatic. Because for the most part, the dummy @*!@ had already taken over rap and it's stayed that way since.

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

You don't think they'll say the same about Nas eventually?

And if Ra got everybody there, then again, which is the more significant release?

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

You don't think they'll say the same about Nas eventually?

And if Ra got everybody there, then again, which is the more significant release?

Originally Posted by LiquidCREAM

80's opinion vs 90's opinion
I wonder what the 00's babies are gonna think is the best album?

carter 3
roll.gif

that's an interesting question. Lord Willin'?  College Dropout?

Originally Posted by Nash

Probably GRODT, or College Dropout, maybe Blueprint if that counts... BTW Illmatic>

Originally Posted by Nash

Probably GRODT, or College Dropout, maybe Blueprint if that counts... BTW Illmatic>

Back
Top Bottom