When did this EDM mainstream boom in the US happen...and will it sustain?

Stuff is EVERYWHERE.  Gotta admit, a lot of it is very catchy.  Seen it in commercials for Pepsi, Absolut, Beats audio, etc....I mean, you have musicians like Ne-Yo, Chris Brown, Usher, Pitbull, T-Pain crossing over into this genre.  I know this type of music has been around for a long time, and excuse my ignorance on this....but do you think it will maintain it's current mainstream popularity?  

The Industry will force it to sustain it's popularity

It's catchy , but its about to get whxred out something serious
laugh.gif

"EDM"-- in its current incarnation-- started to become popular in college towns around 2007, and has grown in mainstream popularity since. Last year was probably the genre's biggest year commercially with deadmau5, Avicii, SHM, Calvin Harris, Afrojack, and of course, David Guetta all charting in the Top 40.

A similar "electronic boom" occurred in the mid-90's, though, before the style was replaced by synthetic pop artists like the Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a similar cycle this time around with Justin Bieber, Rihanna, and boy-bands One Direction, and The Wanted already piggybacking on the sound.

Wasnt Florida some hardcore rapper when he first came out?
I can vaguely remember some video in an elevator.

Am I bugging?

yea when he first appeared he was rappin street #!!$ and all that... then he made that get low song and said %%@! that #!!$

lady_gaga_just_dance_music_.jpg

Don't know about all the dj's and EDM or if that applies to this (i know dudes get worked up about their terms)

but as far as this mainstream electro-pop stuff I noticed it starting to spread to hip-hop, rnb, pop

after she came on and hit big.  Not saying she's true to life EDM artist, but I feel like she definitely gave

the average radio listener a soft introduction to a sound they normally wouldn't even consider

that allowed it to spread through the marketing now that more people were open to it

if that makes any sense

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

yea when he first appeared he was rappin street #!!$ and all that... then he made that get low song and said %%@! that #!!$

Same with Pitbull ..
They chased the $$$ 

EARLY!

now @##!#@ tryna jump in their lane , not by choice either imo 
laugh.gif

IMO I think the major decline in hip hop has something to do with it, people need to turn to something else & like you said it's catchy, feel good music.

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

lady_gaga_just_dance_music_.jpg

Don't know about all the dj's and EDM or if that applies to this (i know dudes get worked up about their terms)

but as far as this mainstream electro-pop stuff I noticed it starting to spread to hip-hop, rnb, pop

after she came on and hit big.  Not saying she's true to life EDM artist, but I feel like she definitely gave

the average radio listener a soft introduction to a sound they normally wouldn't even consider

that allowed it to spread through the marketing now that more people were open to it

if that makes any sense
I'm glad you mentioned this. Really good point.

In terms of timing, Gaga emerged around the same time as electro really started to become trendy (for lack of a better term) among the college crowd. She, of course, has found a way to take the sonic elements of electronic music mainstream.

In fact, a couple of friends who book "EDM" talent for club shows actually booked Gaga in the fall of 2007 (before she really took off) to appeal to the electro audience.

I doubt it's going anywhere anytime soon. It's literally cookie cutter music and in sure these labels are caking something serious off itWhen I listen to the radio I legitimately can't tell when one song starts and another ends sometimes

Definitely agree about the Gaga point. Her @%+$ popping off partly helped usher in the "EDM" phase. I'll also attribute the electro-pop stuff to Timbaland in late '06 to '07 (The Way I Are was a big single) and he basically made the bridge for hip-hop artists to this genre of music.

will.i.am. and BEP contributed as well. They were !$%#@#+ with the David Guettas of the world before a lot of other people.

I know the homie illphillip would have good insight about this...

They had amp on MTV, The Prodigy and Chemical brothers playing in 1999?

Blade 2 soundtrack should have done it for rap/edm.

Originally Posted by iLLoQuent aka DSK

Originally Posted by ILL LEGAL OPERATION

Kanye West...

..."Stronger."
This too.
Credit A-Trak for that.

And yeah, on B.E.P., too... although they came a little later than Gaga. In addition to Guetta, they worked with Boys Noize in 2009-- which at the time I thought was blasphemous as a fan of electronic music. (will.i.am also DJs/produces on DIM MAK under the pseudonym [[ZUPER BLAHQ]])

ThunderChunk69 wrote:
They had amp on MTV, The Prodigy and Chemical brothers playing in 1999?

Blade 2 soundtrack should have done it for rap/edm.
This is why I don't expect the current phase of popular electronic producers to last.

In the mid-90s, Daft Punk, Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Groove Armada, Faithless, Fatboy Slim, Basement Jaxx, Paul Van Dyk, etc. were all huge. Only a few have shown any longevity.

Originally Posted by cjm627

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Can't wait for it to end

roll.gif
roll.gif
the people who amp it up around my area is what makes me laugh too
Nobody hates it more than me.  It's the lowest form of music in my opinion.  It's not even music actually, it's just noise.  Then you got all these established artists making garbage songs (word to Usher) just because it's poppin right now.  Please end and let people look back and go "!** were we listening to?"

Its only going to get bigger..

just wait for the Hip-Hop x Dubstep trend thats going to happen

Well first of all, the term "EDM" became popular around the same time this new watered down electronic music you hear all over the place. Dubstep and Electro-House and Progressive House is what seems to be the popular genres at the moment. A lot of it is just music made for the masses to get lots of play. Nothing really inspiring. Unfortunately with the rise of the popularity of this music, you get the superficial audience that only listens to what's on the radio. Let's be honest, the people who are making this music popular at the moment will get bored of it fast. It happens all too often. But as long as it remains popular the music industry will put lots of money behind it and milk it for all its worth. Just look at Vegas. It used to be rap in all the clubs and now all of their residencies are all DJs that play "EDM". 
Eventually it will die down and the real fans of electronic music will remain. Why? Because most of us don't like the new breed of music. Some if it is ok, but it's too watered down for my taste. The real electronic music scene is not what you see at festivals, and not what you hear on the radio. When this Electo-House and American Dubstep dies down, there will no more fist pumping, high energy, drug music. All that will remain is true electronic music. 

It's probably the worst phase that music has gone through in the passed 20 years. I imagine this is exactly how people felt about disco when it first came out. The only purpose it serves is getting stupid girls to dance.

Back
Top Bottom