When did this EDM mainstream boom in the US happen...and will it sustain?

Originally Posted by bballah3

Its only going to get bigger..

This.

And it's hard to answer the 1st one. It got big int he mid to late 90s with movies like Hackers & Trainspotting. Even Moby was a huge star in America. It died out, then came back strong around 2005 (at least in California) then I would say 2009 it got huge HUGE to what we know of it now. And then the last VMAs with Avicii, Skrillex, Deadmau5 I only see it getting larger. Of course it will not be the new 'in' thing in a few years but in America it is slowly becoming a respected genre like how it's been in Europe for years.

By the way Underworld is doing the opening ceremony for the Olympics so yeah....I don't see it dying anytime soon.

in hiphop i def. think it was in babyform with Timbaland - he had Justin, The Way You ARE, and Ayo Technology
then Kanye played with it - and BEP, Gaga def. helped seal it for the blueprint of other artists

it'll be over soon enough.  trust me on that one 
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Futuristic

It's probably the worst phase that music has gone through in the passed 20 years.
Music has never been "better" at any one time than any other. We just filter out all the garbage as time goes by. The more time passes, the more crap gets weeded out.

Anyway, as for EDM, it has a shelf life, just as with any pop music. Back in the late '90s and early 2000s when boy bands and young female pop stars ruled (BSB, NSYNC, Britney, Christina, etc.) people thought it would never end. And it didn't last. They had about a two-year run from '99-'01 where it truly dominated. It seemed like an eternity at the time though.

I think its kinda like how soccer is viewed. EDM is much much much bigger everywhere besides the US so it might be a while.

Originally Posted by HARM

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

yea when he first appeared he was rappin street #!!$ and all that... then he made that get low song and said %%@! that #!!$

Same with Pitbull ..
They chased the $$$ 

EARLY!

now @##!#@ tryna jump in their lane , not by choice either imo 
laugh.gif
pitbull was always doing da spanish stuff on da side that always had electronc elements to it anyways, so it really wasn't a jump for him.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

yea when he first appeared he was rappin street #!!$ and all that... then he made that get low song and said %%@! that #!!$

Same with Pitbull ..
They chased the $$$ 

EARLY!

laugh.gif
pitbull was always doing da spanish stuff on da side that always had electronc elements to it anyways, so it really wasn't a jump for him.

Truth...

...heard them bang his @#@$ in Rio and realized he was a far bigger artist than I gave him credit for.

Originally Posted by bballah3

Its only going to get bigger..

just wait for the Hip-Hop x Dubstep trend thats going to happen

have you heard the wu tang meets indie : enter the dubstep album? its aiiight.

Originally Posted by Futuristic

It's probably the worst phase that music has gone through in the passed 20 years. I imagine this is exactly how people felt about disco when it first came out. The only purpose it serves is getting stupid girls to dance.
no this is NOT the worst phase music has gone through in the past 20 years. (remember late 90s-mid 2000's pop music?)
        its a phase in the mainstream/pop music, but EDM (i hate this term, but ill use it for the sake of this thread) has been around
for a while, and will always be around. i guess some genres may come and go in popularity, but house and techno will ALWAYS be relevant in the dance music world.

and no thats not how people felt when disco first came out. it was only when disco was bastardized by the mainstream/pop culture (saturday night fever comes to mind) in a very similar fashion that EDM is being bastardized right now by the same culprits, that people began to detest it (and racism/homophobia had a lot to do with it too) driving the culture underground, planting the seeds for House.

and no, its only purpose is not to get stupid girls to dance. its purpose is to get everyone to dance. 

if you've never danced all night long at a club, a dark warehouse, a festival, or wherever, youre missing out on something thats innately human, which is very unfortunate.

its spiritual release,, its communicating through movement, its expressing yourself, its a natural high.

EDM is the life yall haters need to go somewhere listening to the same rap with the same lyrics and substances over and over.

we got different sounds, beats, drops, i don't know how you can even hate on it its so good.

Same with Pitbull ..
They chased the $$$ 

EARLY!

laugh.gif

I ain't eem mad at them. They make hits, and the +!$+#$! love them.
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Cubay

I think its kinda like how soccer is viewed. EDM is much much much bigger everywhere besides the US so it might be a while.
^this. EDM is catching on now in the US but has been HUGE everywhere else. It's not a fad
eyes.gif

Much like all genres, there is always ebb and flow. So yes, there were always "Dance" records that hit big.

Some more credible than others. Everything from Daft Punk and Fatboy Slim to groups like Cascada and September have all had big records in the US.

This "boom" was like most genres. It started as a real, organic phenomenon that was then absorbed by both major ARTISTS and major labels and maximized.

Like iLLoQuent said, Black Eyed Peas were a big part of this. Their international success and touring probably put them up on the music because it really was massive everywhere else BUT America.

I worked David Guetta's "Love Is Gone" in 2007. David Guetta was on EMI worldwide so EMI had the right of first refusal to put out his records in the US. But they never did.

When that happens, any label can then attempt to release that project in this territory. So it was released independently. "Love Is Gone" made it onto Pop Radio and the Pop Charts.

Then EMI US decided they wanted him. From there came the songs with Akon, Kelly Rowland etc. But that wasn't until 2009.

In 2008, we had Enur "Calabria" all over Pop Radio. And Pitbull jacked it and did a song called "The Anthem" that was pretty big.

Gaga didn't really hit until late 2008/2009. Around that time we did Pitbull's "I Know You Want Me". We had the original beat (Nicola Fasano's 75 Brasil Street) and figured if we didn't get him on the record, he was going to jack it anyway.

So why not team up. That Pit record was MASSIVE. US and Worldwide. Double Platinum. Top 5 Pop Charts. #2 Hot 100 (2nd only to BEP "Boom Boom Pow").

Now, that is the mainstreaming.

But in 2009 deadmau5 was already massive. "Ghosts N Stuff" was a Gold single. Guys like Guetta, Tiesto, Armin Van Buuren, Benny Benassi were all doing MASSIVE live events in the US. Sold out shows (sometimes multiple nights) in major venues in major cities.

So like Rock and Hip Hop etc. before it, there was something real happening first on the live front or in the "streets" (so to speak). More fans get hip to it. Artists get hip to it. Labels get hip to it, and it explodes from there.

Sandy Vee, who worked with Guetta on "Sexy @$+!*" and a gang of other records goes on to produce "Only Girl" and "S&M" for Rihanna, "Firework" for Katy Perry and so on. Chris Brown worked with Benny Benassi. Rihanna works with Calvin Harris.

And here we are.

Everyone's music sounds the same now, maybe its just me though. Like Ke$ha and Lady Gaga might as well be the same *#++++* person to me. But like everyone else is saying; Timbaland, Stronger by Kanye, and Gaga and Black Eyed Peas all helped it get to the point that it's at right now more than anything. And this dubstep phase teens are going through isn't exactly helping end this trend of EDM or whatever

Mainstream music all sounds the same because it needs to. That's exactly why it becomes mainstream, because whatever is popular at time, surfaces to the top. I look at it like this, if you have a big magnet (the mainstream) over a bucket full of materials, all the metal (popular) will get sucked up to the top. 
What keeps real electronic music and any other genre alive and relevant (even in the underground) is the abundance of diverse sounds and sub-genres in that same pile of materials. 

All the mainstream electronic music will eventually lose it's popularity, but the rest of it, the same stuff that's always been there, will always be there irregardless of what hapens to the mainstream. 

it comes in cycles

EDM was huge in the early 00 then faded away quick. the current mainstream movement has happened over the past 3 years with last year, or this year being the biggest. of course once it hits the peak it'll bust and disappear for a bit. but its always been there. mainstream artists using the djs lately has been too pop though. but once the pop stars go back to their older producers...or find new ones again...then itll reset.

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Mainstream music all sounds the same because it needs to. That's exactly why it becomes mainstream, because whatever is popular at time, surfaces to the top. I look at it like this, if you have a big magnet (the mainstream) over a bucket full of materials, all the metal (popular) will get sucked up to the top. 
What keeps real electronic music and any other genre alive and relevant (even in the underground) is the abundance of diverse sounds and sub-genres in that same pile of materials. 

All the mainstream electronic music will eventually lose it's popularity, but the rest of it, the same stuff that's always been there, will always be there irregardless of what hapens to the mainstream. 
THIS. The mainstream has barely touched the surface of EDM and I doubt it'll ever go that deep. Trance and hard style are two sub genres that I don't think will ever blow up like Dupstep has and I'm happy with that.

What do we think about where electronic music has come and gone this decade?

Still in a good spot depending what you like. True house and techno will live on. Experimental electronic stuff is thriving.
The EDM big room scene I can't really speak on/don't keep up with.

Back
Top Bottom