When Do You Think Mainstream Rap Music Started To Decline ?

In My Opinion , Today's Mainstream Hip Hop Can't Even Be Classified As Hip Hop , It's Basically Pop . I Think It Was The Beggining Of The End When Crunk Music Started To Become More Popular Around Late 03 / Early 04 , But At The Same Time You Still Had 50 Cent (get rich or die trying), Cam'ron & Dipset Were Still Relevant , Kayne (When He Wasn't An Egotistic Bastard) , I Even Tolerated Some Down South Artist's Like Paul Wall , Slim Thug , Chamillionair , Mike Jones (kinda) , They Actually Had Bars . My Favorite Era Was The Mid 90's (93 - 97) Nas , AZ , Cormega , Raekwon , Method Man , Capone N Noreaga , Biggie , Etc .

Give Me Your Opinion On The State Of Hip Hop Today , Your Favorite Era & When You Think Hip Hop Started To Take A Downfall ..

Why Do You Type Like This?!
I knew someone was going to ask this , lmaooo just let it rock
smokin.gif

Last edited:
After 2006 is when I felt it start to decline. At that point people had already claimed it was dead, but most of that was just hating on the south's emergence. Lyricism had obviously gone down hill a few years prior, but I felt that the overall quality was still there.

When the south took over. The south killed hiphop.

Also white people killed hiphop
You mean when Lean wit it rock wit it and those other dance trends came out ? & By white people if you mean the jews behind the scenes who run the record labels then I agree w/ you 100%

After 2006 is when I felt it start to decline. At that point people had already claimed it was dead, but most of that was just hating on the south's emergence. Lyricism had obviously gone down hill a few years prior, but I felt that the overall quality was still there.
Word , by 05/06 Hip Hop was on life support , then when soulja boy came around late 07 along with lil wayne and young money that's when the plug was pulled .

Idk, I wouldn't say the south killed hip-hop, but the south did kill MAINSTREAM hip-hop.

But we all enjoyed the ride. 
smokin.gif

I can't really say when it started to decline, but I can say that the idea that the South killed mainstream hip-hop is absurd.

What were Southern artists supposed to do?  Decline the shine?  Those dudes were just doing them and it happened to catch on in a major way.  Anyone in any craft would have rocked with it and went along for the ride.

The fact that Southern hip-hop was and is still very popular has more to do with people from outside the South supporting it more than anything.  Same went for when the East and West were on top.  You don't dominate nationwide with only the support of your region, so blame the hip-hop listeners if you blame anything. 

Around 2005-2006 is when I noticed the shift. It was like half and half good and low quality **** and then as the years went on more **** than quality.

The blueprint for the commercialization of mainstream hip hop was laid much earlier.

In My Opinion , Today's Mainstream Hip Hop Can't Even Be Classified As Hip Hop , It's Basically Pop
How can you say this when the sound dominating the airwaves is a combination of the trap sound that Lex, Shawty Redd, and Zay pioneered, the Mike Will sound, and the Drill sound that Chop did . . . "Pop" could not be any less accurate of a description
laugh.gif

I will say that Jadakiss interview was on point where he said that all you really needed for a single to be considered acceptable to put out was for someone to be able to do the spastic pull-up dance to it lmfao . . . but that's just a problem of repetitive production right now . . . 

It's moreso a problem of dude's just being lazy on their bars for their singles and then on top of that picking the same beats over and over . . . but as far as mainstream lyricism goes . . . it's actually pretty good right now IMO . . . definitely the best it's been since say 2006 . . . Haven't listened to the radio in forever but judging from the popular singles right now . . . you got Cole, Drake, Kendrick, Macklemore (who I personally think is corny but he can rap), Wale at the forefront with popular singles right now . . . don't know what else you want . . . if you are mad that French Montana, Juicy J, Future, etc. are on the radio then I don't know what to tell you . . . that type of music is needed because it gets people hype and it's popular . . . they got hits . . . Nobody wants to hear Jay Electronica - Eternal Sunshine on the radio or at a party bruh

Lyricism and conceptual songs definitely have their place in mainstream rap . . . Power Trip, Bad, Swimming Pools, whatever that song about Macklemore thinking he was gay as a kid is . . . all moderately lyrical songs with a concept . . . and they still made it

The radio plays what's popular . . . don't be mad at them for doing their job . . . be mad at whoever your favorite "lyrical" rapper is for not being able to make a popular song, Kanye and Jay managed to do it and Kendrick, Drake, Cole, Wale, Macklemore, etc. are currently doing it

I'm in a small minority but hip hop isn't dead to me, I don't have have a problem with the new cats and this fall off thing is overblown.

I have argued this topic with my boys for hours on end.

I honestly believe the single point in time when "I" recognized the decline in rap music was the overwhelming reception of Soulja Boi when he came out with that garbage in the early 2000's.

I am glad that these new age rappers label themselves as "Rappers" because they are damn sure no MC's

I gotta say maybe when laffy taffy was kinda big was when I was like damn. I was on one of those hot or not segments and people were loving it. I couldn't believe the love this record was getting. Then more and more dumb downers became popular and it was a wrap.

Probably when ice t started making gangsta rap. Rap music went from being concious and about the struggle to glorifying the type of lifestyle that benefits no one. You guys think that music from the south is garbage but a lot of rappers who talk about violence and drugs are no better.

No.

Ice t wasn't the genesis of gangster rap.

Rap wasn't all conscious before gangster rap came along.

Stop saying this stuff, and if you think this then stop thinking this because its not true.

Like others said, the most recent decline came around the mid-00's with crunk and snap music, followed by the auto-tune epidemic.

The original artists that popped with those styles made ok music but then the radio, record labels and upcoming artists OD'ed with a million watered down, dumbed down versions of the same song.

Took the passion, substance and tradition our of the genre for about 5/6 years.

But the new generation of MCs (and the legends) are getting the artform back on track.

Last edited:
The seeds may have been planted before, but I don't think anyone can deny the drastic shift in 06-07. Hmmm, I don't feel like pasting my replies from multiple threads as to what or who made the shift take place.

Probably when ice t started making gangsta rap. Rap music went from being concious and about the struggle to glorifying the type of lifestyle that benefits no one. You guys think that music from the south is garbage but a lot of rappers who talk about violence and drugs are no better.

Ice T was rather underground.

I think NWA played a part, because that's when record labels really got involved in the music. Especially since it was on a indie Ruthless label under another lable Priority that wasn't that big. The bigger labels saw dollar signs. Before NWA there wasn't a hundred duplicate rappers. If a label came out with a duplicate rapper based on someone else, they normally failed or never duplicated the original persons success(Lil Shawn, Genius, Positive K, Dana Dane, Grand Daddy IU, Redhead Kingpin) even if they had talent. Labels tried to dictate the marketplace, but we didn't give them a chance. You had to be original. After NWA came out that changed. Then you had CMW, King Tee, Spice 1, Above The Law, DJ Quik... So that's what labels started churning out, because it was still selling. Are you going to put a group like NWA or Hiero? Unfortunately for the most part it was negative. The west had a voice and they were supporting it. The same thing happen with the south, the south gained a voice after it was suppressed, and they supported it.

I don't think it was the music itself, it was labels seeing that negativity had a lane and could sell records. Before it was about the music. It was a lot easier to go find another NWA than another Public Enemy. Before a label didn't want that 2 Live Crew and Cop Killer C Delores Tucker and Calvin Butts heat. The labels realized they could sustain that and use it to their advantage. Rock grew because it was rebellious and their parents didn't like it. Before it was just garbage, not respected and a fad. It wasn't even recognized by your parents for them to tell you don't listen to it. Then I started noticing more white kids started getting in to rap, instead of a group or song here and there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom