When Kobe retires, which number do you think will be retired?

Originally Posted by Curious24

the league will retire both 8 & 24 BEFORE he retires

450618.jpg

I'm pretty sure they will retire #24, which is what should be retired when it's all said and done

By the time he retires, he will have accomplished more with #24 than he did with #8 [besides scoring 81]

Originally Posted by RoOk

Originally Posted by KobeBeef

Originally Posted by badmoonRison

Why did he switch to 24? I never understood this. Is it to be one over Jordan? Cause he was #33 in H.S. and I thought he would switch to that.
33 was kareem's number (and it's retired)
#24 was his first number in HS & when he first started with the Lakers he wanted it but someone else had it (Glen Rice?) & since he wore 143 at the Adidas camp he added them up to get #8.
not Glen Rice.  He was 41.  And he didn't come to the Lakers until the '99 season.  George McCloud didn't come till mid-season of Kobe's rookie year, but he did wear 24. 
I've always thought he chose 8 because of D'Antoni.  Though that "143" makes sense too.  

Originally Posted by RoOk

Originally Posted by KobeBeef

Originally Posted by badmoonRison

Why did he switch to 24? I never understood this. Is it to be one over Jordan? Cause he was #33 in H.S. and I thought he would switch to that.
33 was kareem's number (and it's retired)
#24 was his first number in HS & when he first started with the Lakers he wanted it but someone else had it (Glen Rice?) & since he wore 143 at the Adidas camp he added them up to get #8.
Ive always thought he wore #8 becase Mike D'antoni was his favorite player overseas when he grew up in Italy. I know ive heard that story duringa game before

24..... cuz it's one more than Jordan.... he's all about being "one more" than somebody

Would they even do both? I didn't know they would/could.

I'd say #24. I'd like a new Laker to challenge and request #8 and see what happens
laugh.gif

i don't see them retiring both numbers.

That being said, there's no way Kobe chooses #8 to go up in the rafters. Associates him too much to Shaq. While wearing #24, he won his first MVP and led the Lakers to 2 'chips.

i dont think they will retire any of his numbers..
laugh.gif
roll.gif

but if they do, it'll be 24. Kobe changed his number from 8 to 24 because he wants to be #24. So why should he retire the number he doesn't want in the first place?

simple as that.

Originally Posted by goldenjumpman

laugh.gif
roll.gif
I don't see what's so funny.  I'm not a Kobe fan by any means, but you gotta be delusional to think the Lakers won't retire his number.

Originally Posted by goldenjumpman

laugh.gif
roll.gif
Huh?  They'll probably retire both, just put up a banner with both numbers on there.  When it's all said and done he'll probably be considered the greatest laker ever, no reason they wouldn't do both numbers. 

Back
Top Bottom