When will your computer replace your cable subscription? vol educated guess?

about 10 years back episodes were released online early due to satellite and cable networks in other countries.
they stopped that and now it seems like HBO showed the pilot and another episode of "How to make it in America" earlier than on their channel.

I havent watched tv in a longggg time, I just pop somethig on Hulu.com if I'm bored while I eat on my desk, I know others that pirate tv shows.

question is, how soon do you think you'll be comfortable canceling your cable subscription and just relying on your computer and/or video game system for entertainment?

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Personally I don't see it for a long time cause my comp aint aall that and well I would rather watch my 46 on the wall and not my desktop. I'm not all that computer savvy so I know everything I listed has a solution but I don't see it for myself. Watchin cbs/fox football is much more reliable than the online streams.

Originally Posted by jthagreat

Watchin cbs/fox football is much more reliable than the online streams.
ah yes,
sports, people will insist on HD.
forgot about that
ohwell.gif

iunno, for me I don't think I'll need cable tv in 2-3 years
if $$ wasnt an issue I'd just get an HD projector for the pc to play "tv episodes"

Originally Posted by jthagreat

Personally I don't see it for a long time cause my comp aint aall that and well I would rather watch my 46 on the wall and not my desktop. I'm not all that computer savvy so I know everything I listed has a solution but I don't see it for myself. Watchin cbs/fox football is much more reliable than the online streams.

That's cause you don't know how to stream hd content from your laptop--->ps3--->hdtv

Well I said I wasn't computer savvy... I don't really watch tv much tho... Basically sports only. Break it down for me quik?

The technology for computers to replace tv is here, its slowing becoming a reality though, the progress really depends on the potential for profits, this is only true of you want to watch it legally. Now as far as finding material online illegally thats already a reality its just not as convenient.

I think if we were able to watch everything on demand we'd run out of things to watch, the majority of stuff on tv are repeats and fillers. I think eventually it'll work itself out but that wont come without restrictions, for example like certain time windows when episodes/shows will be able to be aired on demand and that is definitely not going to come without ads/commercials.

What we need is something similar to apple tv but instead of buying episodes from itunes you pay a monthly subscription to access certain networks, the price being on what certain network you like.
An alternative for those who watch shows on their computer screen would be a software version instead of set-top-box.

Like I said the technology for this is here its just that these networks are very picky and greedy and something like this would have to be found very lucrative to them.

Won't do you much good if you watch mainly sports, I've watched a few UFC events for free on my ps3 from atdhe.net though, and if you're into soccer they do that too. Quality isn't great yet though.

As for streaming shows and movies to your ps3, you need a media server program and a wifi connection. I download hd episodes of HBO show's then stream it to my ps3 to enjoy on my hdtv. PM me if you want more help.

A lot of people are doing it already. All you need is a Tv tuner card, a usb hd antenna, and hopefully a pretty good video card. Google "HTPC." Nero.com has a package that comes with everything you need for like 35$ and even a subscription to their online TV, plus the antenna will pick up OTA HD channels and with the coax plugged into your tv tuner you get all the same channels as your tv.

Originally Posted by STOPIT5

What we need is something similar to apple tv but instead of buying episodes from itunes you pay a monthly subscription to access certain networks, the price being on what certain network you like.
iTunes already lets you get season passes on shows that'll download an episode immediately as its available.

Originally Posted by Falcon4567

Originally Posted by STOPIT5

iTunes already lets you get season passes on shows that'll download an episode immediately as its available.
 That's cool and all but I wont invest in something like that til it can compete with actual broadcast television. I'm saying every content that the network offers is available. every!

most of what I watch comes from the net, either downloaded or from a site like hulu.
I'm using boxee too.  There are only one or two things I tune in to when they air.

I'm about to do it within the next month or 2. My ex is movin out, I don't pay for it right now anyways. I am just gonna get internet/home phone service, and use my ps3 to go on the web for watching tv (I got a 60 inch). The only other thing I will get is netflix cuz I don't go to the movies anyways. All I need is my internet to play ps3 games online and check bank statements and minor stuff on my pc but I have no use for tv. For sports, I could just go to certain websites to watch tv for free, or if its a big event, I'll hit the sports bar or something.

as soon as i discovered torrents, i stopped watching TV pretty much all together, except for sports (which i could go without.)

i won't be paying for cable when im on my own.

have an hd projector and i rarely watch anything outside of espn...so i could live without it

Back
Top Bottom