When you hold the door for somebody, do you wait for the other person that's 15ft. away?

Man something happened to me yesterday and for some reason i'm still bothered by it. :lol:

So i'm going to the gym, I notice 2 other people behind me before I walk in. One was like 5ft. behind me and the other about 15ft. behind. Anyway, I hold the door open for the first person, she says thank you. Then i'm like okay well the other person isn't that far away, i'll continue to hold the door.

Keep in mind she's an elder lady, so she's walking kind of slow. But that didn't bother me, I still held the door open for her, I looked at her and smiled.

Next thing, out of nowhere she looks at me and yells "WELL JUST GO THEN! STOP RUSHING ME!!!!!!" but continues to walk through the door!

I looked at her like "what the hell?"

what_the.gif

So i'm still thinking about it throughout my workout because i'm still wondering what I did wrong. Anyway, fast forward to when i'm done with my workout. I wash up and head out!

Now as i'm exiting out, again I notice another person behind me... but she's about 15ft. away, so i'm like "Naw uhh, ain't letting this happen to me again" So instead of holding the door for her, I just walk through.

Then AGAIN out of nowhere, I hear this girl's voice... she said "Well damn, I guess 2 seconds was to much out of your day to hold a door open for a lady!"

This time I was like "WOW!"

weebay-shocked-face.gif

So NT... what the hell did I do wrong?

You didn't do anything wrong. Some people are rude (old lady) and expect too much (young girl). I wouldn't even sweat it bro.

If they're too far behind, you walk through and then keep it open for them until they hold it.

The rule of thumb is that if the door will fully close before the person gets there,then you're clear. If it will still be closing when they get there, then you should have kept it open.

For women and elderly people, I'll wait. Everyone else can do it themselves.

:rofl:

I usually only hold it open for the person behind me then it's on them to do the same for next person. The old lady while rude was right though, usually the second further away person feels both pressured and rushed to "catch up" to your act of kindness

Last edited:
I feel you bro it's that awkward moment when you're caught between a rock and a hard place.

:rofl:

I usually only hold it open for person behind me then it's on them to do the same for next person. The old lady while rude was right through, usually the second further away person feels both pressured and rushed to "catch up" to your act of kindness

I thought about it, and I could understand that. Which is why when I encountered the similar situation the 2nd time, I just left the door closing.

But that didn't workout for me either!

Last edited:
You did nothing wrong, people are just ignorant.

I only hold the door out of habit.

But I really wish I could break the habit.

When there's a big difference in distance between two people. I usually hold the door so the next person can hold the door for the following person.

If they were closer I would just hold the door and let them through before me

Either situation you did nothing wrong. I would have told the 2nd chick to kick rocks
indifferent.gif

When there's a big difference in distance between two people. I usually hold the door so the next person can hold the door for the following person.

If they were closer I would just hold the door and let them through before me

Either situation you did nothing wrong. I would have told the 2nd chick to kick rocks :stoneface:

Yeah I shoul've... but I was more shocked than angry.

Old lady senile.

LOL, great story though. .gif placement was simple, yet on point.

Last edited:
Only and I mean ONLY time I wait is if ONE you're a female, and TWO, you're smashable. I might make an exception if it's an elderly or handicapped person though.

lol the same broads that expect me to hold the door 20 feet away dont do the same for me. They let the door close even though im 7 feet behind them smh

Back
Top Bottom