When you say you're proud to be an American what exactly are you proud of?

Not sure if serious
indifferent.gif

The health care in this country will cause an average American to go bankrupt because of a broken leg.

Technology is literally the NSA's dream world.

American entertainment is brainwashing every little boy and girl in this country to believe that twerking with booty shorts with some bubble gum and camera is okay.

Just 60 years ago, we had segregated bathrooms and water fountains. Very diverse huh.

Those are your reasons to be proud, really?
laugh.gif
mean.gif
Having been born outside the states, I can tell you this much, patient rights in another countries are practically nonexistent, here you can be a bum in the street, walk into any city hospitals ER and you will be taken care, by law they have to, walk into the ER of a hospital in a South American country and if you have no insurance, well you better start learning how to walk on a broken leg.

Entertainment and media is a global thing nowadays, the Internet is global and so is American film, alot Of American shows are viewed internationally through satellite, so you can't blame American pop culture more than you can blame bad parenting and censorship.

Not sure where you are going with the whole racism point as rebuttal to this country being diverse....I don't think ANYONE can name another city more diverse when it comes to cultures, race, nationality than NYC...I mean there is literally people from all over the world residing here....something I don't think you'll see anywhere else
Aww c'mon dude I already argued your healthcare point.

You're saying because the vast majority of countries have subpar healthcare in comparison to us that we should be proud of ours.  I've already said that that shows an annoying amount of complacency.  Just because have you better, doesn't mean you can't go for way better.

Then also there's the issue that you're comparing apples to oranges.  There's a reason the the US usually is only compared to Canada, European nations, Australia, and New Zealand.  That's because they are all on pretty close developmental levels.

I'm sure you would call BS if someone tried to compare the militaries of a small Latin nation compared to the US, so you should hold the same standard when talking about healthcare.

So yes, the US trumps most of the world in healthcare...who aren't our peers when it comes to development levels.  But among our peers we're low on the list.

ANALOGY:

What you're doing is telling Adam Smith, the high-powered, well payed lawyer that because Javier Burgos in accounting or Juan Ramirez the secretary both have crappier suits than he does, that he shouldn't bother upgrading the suit he has now, even though the other high-powered lawyers at the firm have much better attire and look much nicer than he does.

What you should be telling Adam Smith, that since he works with and is a high powered lawyer, he should dress like one.  And that means upgrading his suit.

See what I mean?

Last edited:
Just because have you better, doesn't mean you can't go for way better.

And just because there's plenty of room for improvement doesn't mean we still can't be proud of ours and feel blessed to have access to some of the best facilities and practices in the entire world.

The problem is we need to get the 20% with lackluster or no coverage up to par with the rest of the 80% (or whatever the numbers truly are) and make it affordable for everyone.

im proud that in our country, i can be friends with whoever i want to be and be whoever i want to be and smoke weed wherever i want to smoke weed and eat whatever i want to eat and do whatever i want to do

Threads like this make me proud to be an American (dead *** srs).

Everybody in this country is entitled to their opinion, and if you don't like what someone says, guess what? You can voice yours. We are allowed to pick and choose what we watch, what we eat, what we wear, etc. We can voice disapproval of those in charge, or anyone else for that matter. No military battles have been fought on our land since the Civil War, no mandatory draft, no tyrants (may not seem that way to some). I love the freedoms we have, sure it's not perfect here, but you have the right to vote and run for office in order to make things better, and if that doesn't suit your fancy, you can move away if you'd like.

I am proud of the Constitution and more importantly the Bill of Rights. America is so far from perfect, but instead of complaining do something about it. Stop being stereotypical Americans concerned with only yourself and learn to pay it forward.

Ghandi and Voltaire said it best, "Be the change you want to see" & "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

But what do I know? I attended American public schools.

Just because have you better, doesn't mean you can't go for way better.
And just because there's plenty of room for improvement doesn't mean we still can't be proud of ours and feel blessed to have access to some of the best facilities and practices in the entire world.

The problem is we need to get the 20% with lackluster or no coverage up to par with the rest of the 80% (or whatever the numbers truly are) and make it affordable for everyone.
Of course we can be proud.  But I feel like the proudest people are also the most apathetic/least willing to improve because in their minds "we already got it"

Naamean?

Of course we can be proud.  But I feel like the proudest people are also the most apathetic/least willing to improve because in their minds "we already got it"
Naamean?

I know what you mean. I'm personally not one of those. I've been f'd by BCBS and ADP within the month. A "DP" if you will, losing my $500/month coverage because THEIR computer system failed and didn't process my payment in a timely manner. So I have to pay for everything out of pocket, lose a $30,000+ claim that was in the works, and now a $2000 tax penalty will apply to me because I didn't have insurance for 10 out of the 12 months of the year (even though it wasn't my fault).

Trust me, I know the "system" needs work.

The health care in this country will cause an average American to go bankrupt because of a broken leg.

Sure it needs work, did I say it's perfect? No. Of course the insurance system needs revision. Deaf people are able to hear their voices for the 1st time because of health advances. How is that not something to be proud of? Jesus.

American entertainment is brainwashing every little boy and girl in this country to believe that twerking with booty shorts with some bubble gum and camera is okay.

I didn't realize every channel was MTV.

Just 60 years ago, we had segregated bathrooms and water fountains. Very diverse huh.

60 years ago? What does that have to do with America today? :rofl:

Those are your reasons to be proud, really? :lol: :smh:

Yes.

What do you mean what does that have to do with america today? Thats like saying what does slavery have to do with America today

What do you mean what does that have to do with america today? Thats like saying what does slavery have to do with America today

Well I mean how far back do you want to go?

Racial discrimination to Chinese laborers back in the late 1800s?

Japanese concentration camps in 1940s?

Distribution of Small pox infected blankets given to Native American Indians back in early 1800s?

No denying there are tons of facts that support the shame of America's history. It is what it is and all we can as a Nation is to learn, adapt and not repeat the same mistakes!

No that's not at all like saying that.

I said I'm proud of my country being diverse.

Dude responded with "60 years ago we didn't share water fountains"

The hell does that have to diversity? :stoneface:

I really have to keep copying dictionary definitions though?

di·ver·si·ty
[dih-vur-si-tee, dahy-] Show IPA
noun, plural di·ver·si·ties.
the state or fact of being diverse; difference; unlikeness: diversity of opinion.

variety; multiformity.

a point of difference.

di·ver·si·ty
the state or fact of being diverse; difference; unlikeness: diversity of opinion.

variety; multiformity.

a point of difference.

Calm down young'n, you're not that deep.

First off, I said we had bathrooms and water fountains, AMONGST OTHER THINGS that were segregated....

"The hell does that have to do with diversity?"

..that basically defeats the purpose of embracing diversity.

You sir, captain Boston of America...are now blocked from my reply list.

And I'm done with this thread, full of nothing but elitist and those who feel like they're greater than other human beings that walk on the same planet that we do.

Peace.

di·ver·si·ty

variety; multiformity.

a point of difference.

We are diverse but racism/discrimination is still alive and it's not even being concealed

The hell does that have to diversity?
indifferent.gif

di·ver·si·ty

variety; multiformity.

a point of difference.

We are diverse but racism/discrimination is still alive and it's not even being concealed
as bad as it sounds, most countries (all of them actually) have problems with racism. racism is pretty concealed in america compared to most countries 

i mean white america like to claim alot of stuff done by blacks but dont wanna take credit for its numerous terrorist attacks, birthing the nazis, or hiv etc... im proud of black america not white america thats shameful *shrugs* not a racist tho 

I'm a Korean-American (born and raised in the US) and while my parents took the time to teach and remind me of my heritage, I'm proud and very fortunate to be born and raised in the US. I've been working at an international school in Korea for a couple years and the cultural differences make me appreciate being an American even more. Sure, there's something admirable about the Confucian values and traditions in Asian societies (filial piety) but as an American, you grow up with the ideology of freedom and independence from an early age. Growing up in the States, I had no pressure with regards to my future career and who I had to marry, but in many other places around the world, those things aren't a choice at all.

There are plenty of moments when I read stories or watch the news about the things that happen back home that make me shake my head but at the end of the day, I'm still proud of being an American and being fortunate enough to be taught about the true values of freedom and independence. Just my .02.

Correct. I'm still happy there are people of all different colors, cultures, etc. living around me though. The thread isn't "when people ask you why America is PERFECT, what do you tell them?"

I am proud to be American, because America is me. The culture raised me, gave me my first song that I loved, my first girl that I loved, introduced me to jordans, America taught me everything I know, the good and the bad. I am proud to be an American because it is me, and I am damn proud of myself.

i mean white america like to claim alot of stuff done by blacks but dont wanna take credit for its numerous terrorist attacks, birthing the nazis, or hiv etc... im proud of black america not white america thats shameful *shrugs* not a racist tho 
the hell? 

this may be the dumbest thing ever said on this site, and there are a LOT of dumb things said on NT

birthing the nazis 
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom