Where can I go as an adult to play actual, decent, pick-up basketball?

During college, it was easy to find games. Besides intramurals, there were always kids hooping in the rec center.
I graduated in May and have struggled since then to find decent games. I moved to Minneapolis for work, and you would think that such a big city would have lots of options, right?

... wrong.

This is what I've tried:

Local park court (summer) -- Full of dudes fresh out of lockup... games constantly have to pause due to weed sales, cell phone conversations, or taking hits of black-and-milds. I stopped going because I think passing the ball is actually frowned upon there.

YMCA (June - September) -- When the weather was bad, I would go to the YMCA. There were some good kids there, but they were all in HS. I'm 23 and it felt sort of weird. Also there just weren't a lot of people looking to play... I'd be lucky to get 3 on 3  going.

LA Fitness (Sept - now) -- I switched to LA Fitness because of the above reasons and it's half the monthly cost of the Y. Plus the weights and other stuff is really nice. The dudes that play there are SO frustrating, though... 90% Somalian/Ethiopians who bicker and argue to the point where games take double or triple as long as they should. EVERY foul is a small argument that can turn into a riot. A few weeks ago a guy kicked open the emergency exit door and set off the alarm in the whole gym for 20 minutes. Another dude threw a ball at the "EXIT" sign and shattered it. Their favorite thing to do is shoot mass amounts of 3's... they will take the ball from down low out to the perimeter just to jack up a 3. And the worst thing about this place is that they all have NBA nicknames for themselves... at least four guys are calling themselves Kobe there 
indifferent.gif
sick.gif

NT, I come to you for guidance. What am I doing wrong? I'm just a 5'11" fundamental player with a decent midrange and pretty good court vision. I hustle up and down, scrap for rebounds, and never get caught slacking on D. I'm not overly talented, but I play hard and like to spread the ball around. Is that so wrong?

I ran into the same thing, I just play a lot more hockey and now rarely basketball. These are also reasons people have kids, adulthood can be boring ha ha

People actually play pick up hockey in the north/north east?
eek.gif

Please excuse my ignorance, California kid through and through. I just always thought the image of guys going out on the frozen pond and slapping the puck around was make believe or reminiscent of a different era, something like christmas carols.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

eek.gif

Please excuse my ignorance, California kid through and through. I just always thought the image of guys going out on the frozen pond and slapping the puck around was make believe or reminiscent of a different era, something like christmas carols.

bro, i know people who play in ice hockey leagues here in so cal.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

eek.gif

laugh.gif
Sounds like fun but probably very expensive?

Not as bad as you might think, more initial investment but well worth it. Most fun I've ever had playing a sport. And while I do play pond hockey in the winter, I play at an actual rink ha ha

Anyway with basketball, best bet I've seen is actual rec keagues that have money, refs, etc, pick up is tough

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

eek.gif

laugh.gif

Now that I think about it there's actually an ice skating rink in Oakland and one of my students who just relocated from Philly mentioned that he plays in a league there.

I really wish I knew more about hockey, I find it incredibly entertaining but it's damn near impossible for me to follow the puck when watching in standard def and my cable provider doesn't even offer Versus in HD.

Originally Posted by dmxfury

Anyway with basketball, best bet I've seen is actual rec keagues that have money, refs, etc, pick up is tough
Yeah, not a bad idea to pay some money for an actual men's league. That way you'll get to meet more people and find out where good pick-up games are (leagues don't meet more than once or twice a week, usually). I have a friend who plays in a men's league, doesn't belong to a gym, and gets to play pick-up games at the best club in town (even NBA players show up to those pick up games).

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by dmxfury

Yeah, not a bad idea to pay some money for an actual men's league. That way you'll get to meet more people and find out where good pick-up games are (leagues don't meet more than once or twice a week, usually). I have a friend who plays in a men's league, doesn't belong to a gym, and gets to play pick-up games at the best club in town (even NBA players show up to those pick up games).
Man, I feel like I would stick out like a sore thumb if NBA-level dudes were playing. There really aren't any places to play pick-up where adults don't act like children?

If you mean decent by competition, there are always some good hoopers depending on what lifetime you go to, not any legit hoopers I know go to LA. As far as decent by not bickering over every play call ect... I know what you mean 
ohwell.gif
. I lucked up this winter, I ran into a crew that plays at a charter school, every weekend. Free, all decent to good ball players, and on top of that, no bickering over calls. 
pimp.gif

Man its like that everywhere. Unless you meet some college or former college players that can invite you to good runs you are stuck. Most pickup games are garbage and that's just the way it is.

Man, I'm glad my current gym has legit pick up games. Got former D1 players, couple current D1 players, 1-2 Chinese league players(1 being javel McGee's cousin), steve kerr's brother and other regular good basketball players. Don't know what I would do without legit pick up games.

BTW, my gym is Sport and Health...don't believe they have any locations on Minny though, sorry. I'd say to just keep trying different gyms till you find a good/decent one.

Originally Posted by Cheese Wagstaff

Local park court (summer) -- Full of dudes fresh out of lockup... games constantly have to pause due to weed sales, cell phone conversations, or taking hits of black-and-milds. I stopped going because I think passing the ball is actually frowned upon there.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I know how you feel OP. I moved to Milwaukee from Atl and I hoop at LA Fitness now. Its the pits
laugh.gif
. Never seen grown a$* men argue over ticky tack fouls soo much. The worst is when dudes act like they wanna fight cause they get slightly touched goin to the rim. This is BASKETBALL %!# YOU THINK WAS GON HAPPEN! 
I agree. The "irrational fade-away 3 guy" is terrible

Actually my LA Fitness isnt bad at all. There's a full going on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. OP your best bet is a gym membership.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

pm MonStar, let him take his talents to you.

I lo'd

I'm in NYC so it's a diffent beast. but this is what I would do.
Google "YMCA Basketball league". One of them has to have one
Go on Meeetup.com. I found a legiot spot that I can play ball every Saturday if I like thru that. 
Go to local colleges and see what their policy is about open runs and guest passes. You migh tfind a spot that has night leagues or something
If you find someone halfway decent, netwrok. Dude can def put you on.

Hope that helps. It helped me and I aint that great.

NT Minny bball summit anyone. ( I wont be attending)

Go to a Mormon church anytime after 7 on a weekday. Theres bound to be somebody playing there. Not the best ball, but youd be surprised sometimes

LA Fitness (Sept - now) -- I switched to LA Fitness because of the above reasons and it's half the monthly cost of the Y. Plus the weights and other stuff is really nice. The dudes that play there are SO frustrating, though... 90% Somalian/Ethiopians who bicker and argue to the point where games take double or triple as long as they should. EVERY foul is a small argument that can turn into a riot. A few weeks ago a guy kicked open the emergency exit door and set off the alarm in the whole gym for 20 minutes. Another dude threw a ball at the "EXIT" sign and shattered it. Their favorite thing to do is shoot mass amounts of 3's... they will take the ball from down low out to the perimeter just to jack up a 3. And the worst thing about this place is that they all have NBA nicknames for themselves... at least four guys are calling themselves Kobe there 
indifferent.gif
sick.gif
Man some days it's EXACTLY like this at the LA Fitness in Evanston,IL that I play at haha.

Yeah, I'd say look up local rec leagues. Join one and then ask them where they hoop at. You may find some hidden gems. I'm lucky to have a group of friends that play on Tues and Weds so I can guarantee good runs at least.

Originally Posted by LoveOfTheGame916

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

30t6p3b.gif
 He aint lying. I also hate when they stop a game to talk to some %!#$%+! watching. Man if you dont get yo !%$ back on the court. Do that *#%# after the game or when you off.

Originally Posted by jQQQQQ

indifferent.gif
sick.gif
Man some days it's EXACTLY like this at the LA Fitness in Evanston,IL that I play at haha.

Go to SPAC man. I went to college in Evanston and that place is the very best place to play in the area. After 5 on weekdays and 1 on weekends, there are 3 full runs on immaculate courts and there's always one super competitive court, one semi and one Asian. Take your pick. I miss it so much.
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Originally Posted by jQQQQQ

indifferent.gif
sick.gif

Go to SPAC man. I went to college in Evanston and that place is the very best place to play in the area. After 5 on weekdays and 1 on weekends, there are 3 full runs on immaculate courts and there's always one super competitive court, one semi and one Asian. Take your pick. I miss it so much.
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
lol @ Asiain court. Cold blooded

Back
Top Bottom