Where were you during 9/11 ?

I had a late arrival to school that day. My dad worked down the street at Public Works and finished his garbage route super early so was back home by the time i got up for school. I flip through the channels and turned to Fox. I say to myself..."damn the CGI in the movies are getting more and more realistic" and suddenly realized the Fox News logo in the corner. I heard what went down and by the time I got to school, everyone was talking about it

We had a bomb threat during second period and spent the entire day on the football field. I got home and was mad worried because my mother worked in Downtown Chicago and the Sears Tower was supposed to be the next target. i couldnt get a hold of her for hours but luckily she made it in safely. That day changed me for life and I didnt go out for like a month after it happened

RIP to the victims

I was in 4th grade, and the teacher stopped the lesson, because kids were getting picked up. They didn't tell us what was going on. Since my school was somewhat close to a air traffic control center in the Chicagoland they thought it might be a good idea to evacuate the school.

I was in 6th grade and during lunch teachers were telling kids to leave and report to their next period class

We were all confused as hell until the teacher in the next class had told us what happened. At first I didn't think the explosion was that big but then realized it was serious because more than half the school was being dismissed early by their parents.

When I got home I saw the crumbling buildings on TV and that sight had me shook for a while

senior year of high school. hallways and classrooms buzzing with speculation. All we knew was that one of the twin towers were on fire. then over the intercom, the principal announces that a plane flew into a tower. school was dismissed early. all i could remember was the ghostly atmosphere in the next few hours. 

followed by that was the strangest show of patriotism i've ever seen. both beautiful and disgusting. people coming together, but also people growing in hate. i wore a flag on the inside of my jean jacket, while i watched people overprice flags to consumers.

I lived on the border of South Paterson, NJ a heavily arabic neighborhood. the tension was brimming.

14 years later, while the day is not forgotten, i wonder what that day actually means to our nation now.

6th grade. Science class. Another teacher pulled our teacher out the classroom to tell her something. She looked kinda worried, but didn't want to tell us anything. She just told us we might be going home early because something was happening in DC (we were in Baltimore). Then an announcement came on the intercom saying school was letting out early. I got on the bus as usual, but it didn't leave. Then parents started coming to the school and taking kids off the bus. Mine came and took me off. Didn't tell me anything really.

I can literally remember going home, turning on the TV while eating milk & cookies wondering what the big deal was.

Didn't hit me till a few days later.

Broke my ankle a couple days before so I woke up and just sat on my couch and watched everything unfold. Surreal day.

Copping rainbow flyknit racers 

nthat.gif

6th Grade.

I was right across the river in New Jersey, Hudson County.

i'll never forget the the 7th Grade class had a view to the NEW YORK skyline.

Some girl came rushing into our class and yelled " OH ****, the twin towers are on FIRE"

Shortly after, The Principle came on the PA system and told us we were on lock down.

He came to each classroom to explain what's happening.

I remember knowing this was something big that just happened. Everyone's parents came to pick us up from school. By noon, the school was empty.

Later that day, I went to boulevard east ( My Jersey people know this is the best view of the NYC skyline), and saw with my own eyes the plumes of smoke burning from ground zero. The twin towers were no longer standing. I felt like there was a great void. A great big piece of New York was missing. We literally had debris in our backyards. Dirt and small particles that had flown over carried by the winds. This moment had changed the world forever, and I couldn't help but feel scared and sad. Because I remember feeling everything was unsafe, and we were going to war. :frown:

The streets were completely empty for the next few months. Everybody glued to the TV for non stop coverage. Everybody has American Flags everywhere. There was a great deal of Pride, and it brought the nation closer.

10th grade Algebra 2 class.

Someone ran into class and said someone flew a plane into a building in New York, they think it is terrorist

Teacher plays it off, class demands he turn on the TV for us to see. He turns on CNN, we sit there in shock watching the first tower after it got hit

Dude turns of the TV after like 5 mins saying he gotta finish the example on the board :smh:

Class flips out

And then for the rest of the day we watch CNN, seeing the second tower get hit, hearing the Pentagon got hit, and then they announce people in the area fear that a attack is gonna happen around DC, so they were sending us home early.

9th grade.. left school to go to tower records and pick up the Blueprint and Ghetto Fabolous.

7th grade, they locked down the school. we definitely thought it was about to be a full blown war. to be honest I didn't understand how serious it was until later when I saw the footage from ground zero.

During the actual attacks, I was in the shower after a run my freshman year of high school. I remember I kept hearing something about plans flying into building as I was getting dressed, and I wasn't sure what people were talking about. Then when I went to my 10am class, I saw my English teacher looking up at the TV with tears in his eyes, and a lot of general commotion as people gradually started getting details. It was a lot of anxiety, paranoia, and disbelief. I still have the newspaper that details every single thing that happened, in complete breakdown, and also the paper that lists every person that died that day.

Last edited:
5th grade. Mom woke me up and talked to me about what was happening. Then I watched it on the news. Then I went to school and remember kids coming to class all excited and happy like it was some epic movie scene. I remember sitting their disgusted

Woken up by my dad and having no idea what was going on.

Then going to school for 2nd grade class and watched in class, but still had no idea about the severity of the whole thing.

9/11 is a day I'll never forget. It was my first week of High School. I remember I had gym 1st period when the 1st tower was hit. From 2nd to 3rd period I had shop and that's when we were told about the 2nd tower being hit. All I can remember were teachers coming into my classroom, because I had a popular shop teacher at the time and someone telling him that it was done by Islamic Terrorists. I went to a HS relatively close to Manhattan, so we had a pretty good view of both towers burning.

I remember 3rd period was when the first tower went down and everyone was pressed up against the windows watching it happen live. There were massive delays all throughout the MTA system and we got to get out of school early. I remember walking home and I saw my dad and his friends waiting outside our apartment building for me to come home. He was covered in dust from head to toe.

My dad worked 2 blocks away from ground zero and had to walk all the way back to Queens from downtown Manhattan. The story he told me of what he had to go through that day was horrific. He witnessed both towers being struck and coming down. He told me that he panicked to rush home, so he went to train a train but it was completely covered in dust and darkness, so he turned around and went back up to his office. He found a few of his co-workers trying to cover their mouths from all the dust in the air and he thought he was about die right then and there. He ended up leaving his office and walking to the Brooklyn Bridge to get home and eventually walking all through the BQE. He finally got to Queens Blvd and found someone to give him a ride home. Still gives me chills every time I remember his story.

He really experienced a lot of anxiety and depression after that day. Poor guy never really got help either :smh:

Was working at a ballys Gym
Bally's on Queens Blvd?

Yeah, I dont think I went back to work til Thursday. I also remember driving across the Triboro and GW on the following Saturday and seeing smoke coming out from where the towers were standing.

Got home and had so many messages on my answering machine and voicemail. Definitely was surreal that day.
Nah b....the one in douglaston ....i live in Corona....so if i wouldnt had caught that bus it was gonna be an easy 4-5 hour walk back home.

What's crazy to think about for me is that kids in highschool now barely remember 9-11. Was talking to my girls sister who is 16 and she has no recollection of it. Crazy.

What's crazy to think about for me is that kids in highschool now barely remember 9-11. Was talking to my girls sister who is 16 and she has no recollection of it. Crazy.

I have a sister around the same age (1999) that doesn't remember it either. Can't blame her she was 2 at the time but its crazy to think about

Senior year in HS. When I heard that a plane crashed into the World Trade Center, I legit thought they meant the world trade center in Boston (I'm from MA)

Shortly after, I found out it was the Twin Towers and watched the whole thing unfold.

To this day, it's still hard to believe the extent of the loss suffered that day. Still get chills when I see the towers in movies.

Last edited:
I was a Jr in highschool and I had just woken up. My mom and grandma were glued to the TV completely ignoring me. My mom didn't let me go to school and she also called in (works for the IRS) and the news was saying other government agencies may be targeted.

4th grade, everybody got pulled out of class one by one. My granddad ended up picking me and my sister up and we went home and watched it on tv. I saw the towers had been hit by planes, but I didn't really know what the hell was going on or how big this situation was. Honestly I was just happy to be out of class :smh:

RIP to those who died that day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom