Where's the Human Rights outrage against the blatant racism in France?

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

Originally Posted by Eyrkel

The niqab is banned in Syrian and Turkish universities. Is that "racist?"

The niqab isn't even an inherent component of Islam. It's a regional and cultural practice.

So explain how it is "racist."

grin.gif
wink.gif

With this kind of logic we should also ban the wearing of head dresses by Sikhs, Nuns.  Nothing new here France, and a large majority of French people have a natural prejudice towards foreigners,  "xenophobia"

The law bans anything that masks the face.  Niqabs mask the face.
In the United States, there are laws against wearing masks in  public.

Right. Imagine if people here are rocking this when you go on a subway or in a restaurant. 
skimask4.jpg

The majority of Islamic scholars say the niqab is not obligatory in Islam and is merely a custom that dates back to tribal nomadic societies living in the Arabian desert and other dusty and dry areas before Islam began,in order to provide protection against dust and sand.

I guess there are is a ton of dust and sand in France where these women need this... 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Eyrkel

The niqab is banned in Syrian and Turkish universities. Is that "racist?"

The niqab isn't even an inherent component of Islam. It's a regional and cultural practice.

So explain how it is "racist."

grin.gif
wink.gif

With this kind of logic we should also ban the wearing of head dresses by Sikhs, Nuns.  Nothing new here France, and a large majority of French people have a natural prejudice towards foreigners,  "xenophobia"

The law bans anything that masks the face.  Niqabs mask the face.
In the United States, there are laws against wearing masks in  public.

Right. Imagine if people here are rocking this when you go on a subway or in a restaurant. 
skimask4.jpg

The majority of Islamic scholars say the niqab is not obligatory in Islam and is merely a custom that dates back to tribal nomadic societies living in the Arabian desert and other dusty and dry areas before Islam began,in order to provide protection against dust and sand.

I guess there are is a ton of dust and sand in France where these women need this... 
laugh.gif

Westerners in the middle east HAVE to follow certain rules: no alcohol, certain websites are banned, women MUST be covered... So why is it that it is not acceptable if the West wants to do the same. If one has a problem and is THAT attached to their faith, they should %!+% and go back.
I am so tired of people complaining about Rules/Laws. If one feels it is discriminating, then leave. A western nation like France is well within their right to put forth a law they feel will protect the image of their country.

I am an immigrant if it matters.

Westerners in the middle east HAVE to follow certain rules: no alcohol, certain websites are banned, women MUST be covered... So why is it that it is not acceptable if the West wants to do the same. If one has a problem and is THAT attached to their faith, they should %!+% and go back.
I am so tired of people complaining about Rules/Laws. If one feels it is discriminating, then leave. A western nation like France is well within their right to put forth a law they feel will protect the image of their country.

^but is it that serious to ban it tho? A law targeting barely 2000 women?

Let then wear what they want. Hell lady gaga wore the deli section but got praised for that.

Let then wear what they want. Hell lady gaga wore the deli section but got praised for that.

Is this what the Left means when they say the United States should adopt a more tolerant, European worldview?

As an Irish-American, I'm sensitive to the rights of an ethnic minority being deliberately targeted.

Is this what the Left means when they say the United States should adopt a more tolerant, European worldview?

As an Irish-American, I'm sensitive to the rights of an ethnic minority being deliberately targeted.

Originally Posted by DeNs415

Point taken and I hear you, sir. However, how many Westerners are in the Middle East and when they break the law the penalties are much, much worse. A friend of mine worked for a company in Dubai and a co-worker of his was severely punished for possessing material they deemed immoral. You are right, the number isn't large but I just feel if they are SO against it then go back or go to a place where it's welcomed. I think this issue is being blown out of proportion and that the France is being vilified. Personally, I feel that I am in another's country and that I should follow the rules/laws whether I agree or disagree because they didn't have to let me in or issue me residency etc... 
EVERY time I go into the subway my bag gets checked but I don't think it is necessary to scream discrimination/ racism. It's a matter of fact that my skin color and face resembles those that this country considers a threat so naturally there will be profiling. But that is just me.       

Originally Posted by DeNs415

Point taken and I hear you, sir. However, how many Westerners are in the Middle East and when they break the law the penalties are much, much worse. A friend of mine worked for a company in Dubai and a co-worker of his was severely punished for possessing material they deemed immoral. You are right, the number isn't large but I just feel if they are SO against it then go back or go to a place where it's welcomed. I think this issue is being blown out of proportion and that the France is being vilified. Personally, I feel that I am in another's country and that I should follow the rules/laws whether I agree or disagree because they didn't have to let me in or issue me residency etc... 
EVERY time I go into the subway my bag gets checked but I don't think it is necessary to scream discrimination/ racism. It's a matter of fact that my skin color and face resembles those that this country considers a threat so naturally there will be profiling. But that is just me.       

Theres been alot of instances with Sikh's in France as well.
France's tolerance needs to elevate.

Theres been alot of instances with Sikh's in France as well.
France's tolerance needs to elevate.

Originally Posted by King Sole

exactly, where's the outrage and the crys for blatant racism if i go to the middle east and wanna drink a 40 and have one my jump offs show off her pretty face?

that being said if i were to go visit the middle east, i would respect and follow their rules and customs even though i disagree with some of  them.

Originally Posted by King Sole

exactly, where's the outrage and the crys for blatant racism if i go to the middle east and wanna drink a 40 and have one my jump offs show off her pretty face?

that being said if i were to go visit the middle east, i would respect and follow their rules and customs even though i disagree with some of  them.

So because Saudi Arabia is one of the most intolerant countries in the world, that is justification for decreasing France's standards?

No that's asinine.

If a woman chooses to cover herself she should have that right to do so. Many women feel more secure.

For example, if you ever go to Pakistan you'll see women only with head scarfs, but if they are in a busy area or feel threatened, its routine to see women grab the cloth from their scarf and cover their faces. It's a security thing. We see this all over the Middle East.

And although it's not nearly as integral as many people perceive it to be, it is still a part of the religion. Which makes it a whole freedom of religion issue, an issue that Americans would have vehemently attacked had it not been for the current aura of anti-Islamic sentiment.

People say "but women are forced to do so," despite having any actual evidence to support this as if it's some epidemic. Okay fine, but you don't go banning the institution of marriage because some women feel attached their husbands even after abuse, whatever theology they subscribe to. It's on the woman to seek help.

It's on the government to supply the proper institutions and channels to provide that help when she reaches out for it.

Numbers of women who practice this are extremely small. This is a theological legislation more than anything; for the actual applications are so minute. Sarkozy pretty much said it himself. He's trying to take a stand against this monolithic evil idea of Islam he and other loons see as a reality.

It's the same thing as the Taliban but with a Westernized twist.

So because Saudi Arabia is one of the most intolerant countries in the world, that is justification for decreasing France's standards?

No that's asinine.

If a woman chooses to cover herself she should have that right to do so. Many women feel more secure.

For example, if you ever go to Pakistan you'll see women only with head scarfs, but if they are in a busy area or feel threatened, its routine to see women grab the cloth from their scarf and cover their faces. It's a security thing. We see this all over the Middle East.

And although it's not nearly as integral as many people perceive it to be, it is still a part of the religion. Which makes it a whole freedom of religion issue, an issue that Americans would have vehemently attacked had it not been for the current aura of anti-Islamic sentiment.

People say "but women are forced to do so," despite having any actual evidence to support this as if it's some epidemic. Okay fine, but you don't go banning the institution of marriage because some women feel attached their husbands even after abuse, whatever theology they subscribe to. It's on the woman to seek help.

It's on the government to supply the proper institutions and channels to provide that help when she reaches out for it.

Numbers of women who practice this are extremely small. This is a theological legislation more than anything; for the actual applications are so minute. Sarkozy pretty much said it himself. He's trying to take a stand against this monolithic evil idea of Islam he and other loons see as a reality.

It's the same thing as the Taliban but with a Westernized twist.

Back
Top Bottom