Where's the outrage ?! vol. hypocrisy

Lebron James became 1 of the most hated sports figures in recent memory for leaving the Cavs hi and dry with nothing, and jetting off
to south beach with Wade and Bosh. The sports media and media in general attempted to crucify him for simply going to another team, they were honestly outraged.

So how in the hell is it OK for the Colts to release a HOF quarterback in Peyton Manning like he was a 3rd string special teams player?
Its OK to cut ties instantly with the face of the franchise just because you have s supposed can't miss qb with the #1 pick?

Please don't mention that hour long decision TV special as a reason, that's a copout.

Seriously how can the media and casual fans hate Lebron so much for what he did and not give a single dam how the colts disrespected
1 of the all time great quarterbacks, who was still performing at a very hi level until last season?

(fyi I'm not a heat fan, in fact I giggle like a 5th grader when they lose)

2uzchuw.gif

Never once during the Peyton Manning story did I think about a Lebron James comparison.

And that isn't a statement in support of your topic, either.

^ doesn't seem like its a far reach IMO, if I'm way off base please explain why.

This isn't a troll attempt at all I'm honestly intrigued about what other people think?

If Lebron did not do that hour-long Decision fiasco, there would be almost no hate on Lebron James (or I should say EXTRA hate, i.e. hate aside from the normal hate that any star player inevitably gets).
A star player leaving a team and exploring free agency is not terribly noteworthy at all. Sure, some people get their feelings hurt and fans of the original team will hate that player's guts forever... but that is BUSINESS AS USUAL. What Lebron did with that hour-long special was something above-and-beyond ridiculous... and THAT is the reason it was such a turning point. If people say they're angry because he left, that's only because that TV special took it to a level it had never been taken before. It's not the simple fact that he left -- that happens all the time. It was the manner in which he left that made it so notorious and infamous.

So bringing up The Decision is not a "cop-out". It was something that we had never -- in any sport -- seen before... taking Lebron's departure from "Ah man, sucks for the Cavs" to "I can't believe he has the gall to do this". 

I dont get it...You're comparing why the Colts as a whole organization doesnt get hate like Lebron did?

^ I strongly disagree, if he put out a press release stating " I'm going to the heat, I'd like to thank Cleveland and Dan Gilbert for everything " the press would've still murked him regardless. I do think the hour long special made it easier though.

And it doesn't happen all the time, the best or 1 of the best players in the league don't usually just up and bounce in their prime. Yes its happened before but its far from the norm.

El Pablo, I just don't get why people treat it like business as usual for what the colts did.

But the same people/media treated lebron like he did something sacrilegious by treating it as a business as well, isn't there a huge double standard in there?

Originally Posted by truthteller

^ I strongly disagree, if he put out a press release stating " I'm going to the heat, I'd like to thank Cleveland and Dan Gilbert for everything " the press would've still murked him regardless. I do think the hour long special made it easier though.

And it doesn't happen all the time, the best or 1 of the best players in the league don't usually just up and bounce in their prime. Yes its happened before but its far from the norm.
The press may have murked him, but he wouldn't be a "household name" (in a negative sense) as he is now. The TV special turned it from "news only a basketball fan would care about" to "news that EVERYONE knows". And once everyone -- the general media, casual fans, non-fans, everyone -- knows about what happened, it becomes POPULAR to hate on him. And it starts becoming a national pastime. He now suddenly represents everything that's "wrong" about NBA basketball.
My wife doesn't know anything about basketball. If star players trade teams, it would mean absolutely nothing to her. And yet even she asked me about Lebron. I heard plenty of non-fans talking about how they had discussions at their offices about Lebron or how they heard this-or-that about Lebron on the radio. This kind of talk would NOT have happened if not for that TV special. Within basketball circles, there will always be hate/criticism/questioning when any kind of news like this comes up (that's just a part of sports fandom). But it took that TV special to take this to unheard-of proportions. And now the aftershock of that is what we're seeing now. 

So how in the hell is it OK for the Colts to release a HOF quarterback in Peyton Manning like he was a 3rd string special teams player?
Its OK to cut ties instantly with the face of the franchise just because you have s supposed can't miss qb with the #1 pick?

You're neglecting the fact that Peyton is coming off at least three neck surgeries in less than two years and missed all of last season. The Colts are clearly in rebuilding mode and keeping an aging QB (even a HOF one) whose health going forward is uncertain and whose salary will eat up a lot of cap space isn't a prudent decision.

And while Irsay did make a spectacle of this situation it wasn't near as bad as the one LeBron created with the Decision.

Theblackhole, honestly you made a few good points but I don't think you can put the whole situation on that TV special.

It was ridiculously outta hand 2 years before, teams gutting their roster in hopes of landing him...the media has to take a fair share of the blame too.

The hour long special was od but if the demand/hype wasn't there ESPN wouldn't have let it air. His free agency was talked about every second on ESPN way before the special but yes it was overkill.

Toine I see where your going.

But lebron going back to an organization that he knew he didn't have what it take to win wouldn't be very smart either.

And irsay hasn't had ANY backlash at all, not even in INDY people just threw the luck jerseys on and kept it moving...dam shame.

Winning a ring eases the pain, Had Lebron did that before leaving...pretty sure it's way different

Colts and Manning split came off as mutual when Lebron and Cleveland didnt too imo

Originally Posted by Elpablo21

Winning a ring eases the pain, Had Lebron did that before leaving...pretty sure it's way different

Colts and Manning split came off as mutual when Lebron and Cleveland didnt too imo

Had Lebron won a ring he wouldn't have left

why does the world hate lebron? a. the decision and b. joining d-wade and bosh on the heat in his prime years. if he wouldve built the knicks up singlehandedly and did so quietly i would assume people would be indifferent, with hatred coming from teams he beat and cleveland.

manning's situation is totally different though...1 super bowl, 36 years old, 3 neck surgeries, colts have the #1 pick and the "future" in andrew luck. its not like they let him go unceremoniously, there was a lot of discussion and they held a joint press conference. now if peyton left the colts back in 03 to join say, the patriots? then yeah he'd be a total douche.

I agree!!!
FACT: if colts had the 3rd pick in the draft peyton manning is 28 mil richer and still a colt!!!!!
he had a chance to draft a young QB that many rate highly and if he pans out is the QB for 15 years where peyton 5 years tops.......

Durden I'm not comparing bron and manning.

I'm comparing how the fans and media reacts to 2 totally cold blooded business decisions. That's what I don't get, lebron chose to cut ties with the cavs and the colts chose to cut ties with Peyton. Two similar situations but VERY different reactions.

But how is there any correlation between the two business decisions.  The Colts released a QB who is past his prime and coming off of 3 neck surgeries in a year.  Their decision was money based.  You cant play 2 QBs at once.  They also were nice enough to release him so he can play anywhere instead of trading him to a team he may not want to go to.   They didnt disrespect him at all.

dude they were not nice, they couldnt trade him.........they had by march 8 to cut or pay him 28 mil......no team would have traded for him

do you think peyton gets cut if the colts had the 3rd pick in the draft?
nope, so they dumped him since they have the ability to draft a young franchise type QB..........thats the way it works in the NFL lose your value to the team good bye....have any risk.....goodbye.....

Originally Posted by truthteller

El Pablo, I just don't get why people treat it like business as usual for what the colts did.
Because it doesn't work both ways homie. Sorry.

Peyton is past his prime, maybe technically but he's still damn good ...this isn't Donovan mcnabb were talking about.

Peyton is still a top 10 qb easily in the NFL, this was cold blooded bro..no 2 ways about it.

Back
Top Bottom