Who here makes 6 figures? Vol. 2016 edition

This is an incredibly presumptuous statement. You know how many people graduate college at 21 and aren't able to say for years that they make 55k? Not to mention different salaries in different fields, which is the most glaring issue with those estimations.

No, it is not. The thread is about the path to six figures. I simply showed one fail proof way to get there. If there is a 17 year old reading this thread they now have a blueprint.

furthermore, I could say the same thing for a lot of different fields as well.

Start work at CVS at age 16

Cashier/customer service/retail clerk 16-21 + AA degree part time
21-22 finish up two more years of school and get a degree

Assistant store manager at 22
Store manager at 27
Area manager at 30 = well over 130k

All you have to do is be willing to stick with something, get basic education (community college isn't really tougher than high school), and move up the ladder in whatever field you've chosen.

If I was talking to a bunch of ec-cons, immigrants, etc sure this path may not be the way. However, most of the population of the US has the sort of opportunity available to them if they do something with persistence.

And yeah, these are salaries for California.

Last edited:
Over halfway there, but I'm expecting to get bumped to ~120k within the next three months after I switch jobs. Gonna be living in an expensive city (SF/NYC) though so its gonna be average living.

I'm not happy at my job right now, but I like my field (tech). I'm trying to get a job at a place that lets me work remotely/take time off whenever I want right now so I can just travel and live in other cities while getting paid USD. One of my friends is making ~130k working remotely in Argentina for 6 months out of the year and AirBnBing his Brooklyn apartment... seems like the life. Maybe i'm just never satisfied though.

If you graduate from college at 21, there is almost no way that you shouldn't be making 100k at age 30 if you stick it out with you career path and aren't a dummy.

For example, in auditing:

Staff: 55k (21-23)
Senior: 75k (23-26)
Manager: 95k (26-30)
Senior Manager: 145k (30)
This right here is why I'm majoring in Accounting. And I'm trying to excel (get it? No?) at my career path.

This right here is why I'm majoring in Accounting. And I'm trying to excel (get it? No?) at my career path.

Good luck. Take the bare minimum of accounting, business and finance classes that you need to graduate/for the CPA exam. As long as you know basic accounting (like really basic accounting), you will learn everything you need on the job.

I'd highly suggest supplementing your class load to learn math, take coding, etc. This is where the industry is going and you will be able to find a much better/more satisfying position down the road than the usual audit work if you have those skills in your pocket (you'd still have to do audit for 3 or so years of course).

Last edited:
If you graduate from college at 21, there is almost no way that you shouldn't be making 100k at age 30 if you stick it out with you career path and aren't a dummy.

:rofl:

This is not a realistic career path for many people.

Last edited:
:rofl:

This is not a realistic career path for many people.

Making the NBA, becoming an entertainer, or starting a shoe line is not a realistic path for many people. Getting to a 100k job in accounting is realistic for almost anybody if they willing to put in the time (not saying it is worth it). It doesn't require anything more than persistence. I've seen people from every walk of life do this. I recently met a Controller that started as the janitor in the company 25 years ago and worked his way through every job there.

What good companies are hiring 30 year old senior managers?

Also, Only about 20 percent of American households even break the six-figure mark, according to Census Bureau data. With that being said, there are probably only 3-4 people on this forum legitimately making that much solo based on the demo of this forum. Probably a few more if you count the total household (husband/wife)

Last edited by a moderator:
a man doesn't worry about a another mans pockets...

Yea you're super cool, no rep though.

I disagree.......in the Tri State ppl def making 6 figs even some kids from my HS.......not a lot that number is like 2 that I know of. Also my boy is 30 and makes very close to 6 figs but a couple k short.

I have made 50k with no college which is not bad imo but I want to be better. I have no shame.

Last edited:
:nerd:

Don't need exact numbers or even your company name (before and after taxes don't matter also).....just give us maybe your job sector and what you did to get there to help other NT famb.

Kids (and hell some grown *** NT famb) out here want 1k+ Kanye Sneakers..........share the wealth of advice or pointers you may have........

Also........are you happy with your life and job? Do you have just 1 job?

:D

Yes - both before and after tax. Still not what it used to be (i.e. making 6 figures).
I'm a CPA and work at one of the largest of the four accounting firms. I do audit, not tax, and focus in the asset management industry.

Find outlets to stash your money and forget about it - be it a IRA, investing in general, saving for a home or property. Don't keep up with the Jones' because that bell curve won't work in your favor. It's ok to live at home to stack some cash, but have a plan.

Yes, I'm very happy. Actually enjoy the folsk I work with and my clients. This is the same type of job I've had since out of college, however, not the same firm or industry. I began more real estate focused and back in 2010 or so decided to turn my attention to a different industry (current) that aligned with my interests.

My boy is a CPA for Sirkorsky and makes almost 6 figs. He went to community college then a state Uni. My best friend actually.......I hated accounting though. He is 30 with no student loans left to pay.

Last edited:
Did it both the legal way and in a semi illegal way, completely two different paths.

In college, everyone I knew were massive stoners and they all wanted bongs. As you may or may not know, those pieces can be mad pricey depending on how it is made and who made them. One day, me and my roommate at the time were chilling and he was looking for a piece for cheap. We found a Chinese wholesaler on DHgates.com that was able to sell us like 20 replica pieces for the price of one german made pipe. We bought them and flipped the pieces on eBay for 3X the price. From then on we both started flipping massive amounts and for a few months, eBay was the only platform. We started getting warning from eBay that what we were doing was illegal and eventually they suspended our account (most likely a competition informed eBay). We quickly built a site, used sites like Bonanza and then directly marketed it to stoners on Facebook, forums..etc and sold some of it to Gas stations and small pipe stores... And the rest was history. I left to go pursue a different career path and he is still doing it with 5 other employees and now actually making the pieces here in the states. The good thing about it was the fact that it sales and sales fast with little marketing, the bad side is you have constantly worry about Feds -> US Customs, eBay, Paypal, USPS breaking pieces and lastly minors ordering. But yeah, we did make $.

Eventually I had to get into either a legitimate business or get an actually career, so after a few years of jumping from place to place, I do software sales now. :lol:. Learning the ins and outs and hopefully, I can start something of my own to get to 7 figures. It only feels good when you feel like you can control your destiny.

Last edited:
Did it both the legal way and in a semi illegal way, completely two different paths.

In college, everyone I knew were massive stoners and they all wanted bongs. As you may or may not know, those pieces can be mad pricey depending on how it is made on who made them. One day, me and my roommate at the time were chilling and he was looking for a piece for cheap. We found a Chinese wholesaler on DHgates.com that was able to sell us like 20 replica pieces for the price of one german made pipe. We bought them and flipped the pieces on eBay for 3X the price. From then on we both started flipping massive amounts and for a few months, eBay was the only platform. We started getting warning from eBay that what we were doing was illegal and eventually they suspended our account (most likely a competition informed eBay). We quickly built a site, used sites like Bonanza and then directly marketed it to stoners on Facebook, forums..etc and sold some of it to Gas stations and small pipe stores... And the rest was history. I left to go pursue a different career path and he is still doing it with 5 other employees and now actually making the pieces here in the states. The good thing about it was the fact that it sales and sales fast with little marketing, the bad side is you have constantly worry about Feds -> US Customs, eBay, Paypal, USPS breaking pieces and lastly minors ordering. But yeah, we did make $.

Eventually I had to get into either a legitimate business or get an actually career, so after a few years of jumping from place to place, I do software sales now. :lol:. Learning the ins and outs and hopefully, I can start something of my own to get to 7 figures. It only feels good when you feel like you can control your destiny.

Why is it illegal to sell bongs?

This is actually a smart hustle w/ the direction that this country is heading in.

Word these goofies gonna get some young cat messed up lol. with that logic every corporate company is paying people over 30 six figures lol

I know a young cat who happens to an African like yourself.......

He is on the Forbes list. I posted him on here before if anyone may recall. Set limits on yourself if you want. But my bad, he isn't corporate he is like Co-President.

Btw my boy who is a CPA works salary........so his hours are LONG.

Last edited:

If you're in that 28% tax bracket you shouldn't be worrying about much at all...

Maybe im just thinking the Midwest, but 90k+ you can afford a castle.
6 figure club over here, and have no chance at getting into the housing market in the Bay Area, let alone buying a damn castle 
ohwell.gif

Interesting....most Managers I've met from the Big 4 and large regional firms are definitely over 30....

I understand this something to work towards but it's pretty unrealistic for most people in this industry

Last edited:
Interesting....most Managers I've met from the Big 4 and large regional forms are definitely over 30....

I understand this something to work towards but it's pretty unrealistic for most people in this industry

Manager?

You're up for manager typically 5 years after you start. Obviously depends on the market and industry, but out here in the Bay Area, plenty of growth and a lot of managers under 30

Understand if you're saying partner track being unrealistic...that's definatley not for everyone.

Why is it illegal to sell bongs?

This is actually a smart hustle w/ the direction that this country is heading in.

It was/is considered a drug paraphernalia in most states and actually considered more serious than getting caught with the actual weed.

Most states differ, shipping to Cali is none issue but shipping to certain places in like Pennsylvania is asking for trouble. Unless you labeled it as a glassware for decoration or note that it can only be used for Tobacco :lol:. And most importantly, laminate everywhere that it is for 18+ year olds. It is super easy to make something up, it was just that our counterparts in China sometimes would not listen to direction and label it blatantly obvious as "water pipe".

Last edited:
Manager?

You're up for manager typically 5 years after you start. Obviously depends on the market and industry, but out here in the Bay Area, plenty of growth and a lot of managers under 30

Understand if you're saying partner track being unrealistic...that's definatley not for everyone.

I hit submit before I finished my last sentence, my bad :smh:

What I meant to say was "I understand this is something to work towards but it's pretty unrealistic for most people in this industry to make senior manager by age 30."

I'm on the other side of the US, DC market

Last edited:
I didn't know that, bongs are legal in my state. I'm not gonna talk about illegal things, we all got those friends.........least I do.

I hit submit before I finished my last sentence, my bad :smh:

What I meant to say was "I understand this is something to work towards but it's pretty unrealistic for most people in this industry to make senior manager by age 30."

I'm on the other side of the US, DC market

Ah got it. I made it when I was 31 turning 32 after 9 seasons.

online people say things like "get my degree in accounting and i make 100k by 29"...its just simply not the norm.

"accounting" is a broad field...I live in boston, which is on the higher end of the pay scale..at a private partnership bank. We have hundreds of "accountants"..some with just undergrad degrees, some are CPAs, some with MBAs...80% do not make 100k base...especially before 30.. some may get there with bonuses or ot and other incentives..

and remember a whole lot of people arent truthful with how much money they make....

100k is great and everything, but working 70 hours to get it sucks..and it takes time and experience to be in that mid to upper level of management where they are paying to 100k...

I know a young cat who happens to an African like yourself.......

He is on the Forbes list. I posted him on here before if anyone may recall. Set limits on yourself if you want. But my bad, he isn't corporate he is like Co-President.

Btw my boy who is a CPA works salary........so his hours are LONG.

100k a year while working 60-70hrs isn't "doing it".

I`m not setting limits, theres a difference between setting limits and simply speaking wrong information like the other poster did.

"Salary" isn't an indicator of success.

online people say things like "get my degree in accounting and i make 100k by 29"...its just simply not the norm.

"accounting" is a broad field...I live in boston, which is on the higher end of the pay scale..at a private partnership bank. We have hundreds of "accountants"..some with just undergrad degrees, some are CPAs, some with MBAs...80% do not make 100k base...especially before 30.. some may get there with bonuses or ot and other incentives..

and remember a whole lot of people arent truthful with how much money they make....

100k is great and everything, but working 70 hours to get it sucks..and it takes time and experience to be in that mid to upper level of management where they are paying to 100k...

Never worked on the private side but I've heard that pay increases are pretty bad. Any truth to that?

I'm in public and our office average pay increase is about 5%

100k isnmt what it used to be? I think I'd be cool with 100k :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom