Who here makes 6 figures? Vol. 2016 edition

Like it's that simple :lol:

Can it happen? Of course it can. Have some people been able to follow that "blueprint"? Yes.

Is it that easy? No.

Last edited:
100k when median home prices are $800k? Yeah, not the same as it once was. It just doesn't go as far - meaning, you have to be on the higher end of 100k towards 200+

The hours are meaingless and for myself my busy season is offset by the fact I don't work 70 all year round. How many business owners work a 9-5 versus a hard grind much like some professional services industry people do?

60 hours a week isn't some obscene amount of hours...

I think it sucks

I've done 50+ hour work weeks before but under 60, that **** wack

I know some folk who have done 70+ hours but they banked serious. Def were tired clearly.

Anti and MVP depends who you ask...

Last edited:
Depends what city you live in and where you work. An AVP(outside of operations) role in a Wall Street bank will get you 6 figures in almost any state (or close to it). You can easily get to this by 30 if if you come in out of college. But obviously this isn't the job most people have. I work in IT and have seen it go both ways just depends on the company you are with and the industry. Some industries pay more.

Depends on the state as well my job had it been on Wall Street would be 20k more and 5k more signing bonus. Also I would have been bumped up with a a raise making the salary 30k more in year 2

Last edited:
Cloud engineer, 27 NJ/NYC...
100k on the dot...not a crazy amount for this area but I gotta keep it going tho :smokin

Last edited:
Pass on 60 hour work weeks. I like spending time with my wife and son. Working 60 hours a week isnt what lifes about.

I personally work for the government and I'm paid well. Base salary is $91K. Night differential (if you decide to work it) is like $13K just for showing up. Holiday and Sunday pay averages about $10K. And you make make up to $35K in overtime (all OT is paid at double time).

I'm a federal law enforcement officer. I also own a business (IT, computer repair, networking) and generate another $40K without trying too hard.

Anyone have any questions or whatever specific, PM me or ask me to post it here.

Oh, and before I forget. F da police [emoji]128514[/emoji]

Edit: just turned 30 in March

Last edited:
12 hours a day isn't obscene? I pass on that.
Even running my business I don't think I exceed 30-35 on an average week.

exactly, dudes are bragging about being a slave and devaluing their actual salary.

Your Salary is based on 35-40hrs , so if you are making 100k but have to put in 60-70 hrs to make 100k you are getting ganked lol.

If some works 30-35 hrs a week and makes 60-70k and the next man works 60-70 but makes 105k and you want to be the guy making 105k you're a fool

Yea as I said I would much rather be making it in the states or Canada my home country, but to make that post tax I would need to clear 135,000... Simply that is not possible.

Cats in here talking about by 29-30 if you stuck it out and slaved at one company you would be there, also not true.

I have friends with their masters working in oil and gas field as senior business analyst position clearing just 80k pre tax. Also have people in Detroit working for the electricity city planning hardly clearing 75. I am not sure where you have people doing what you guys are talking about by 30.

I'm sure it's possible but let's not get extra generic and say every body can get that path.

And lmao at regional managers clearing 135k, where this at? Regional managers in telecommunications hardly clear 90 max.

My father is a senior process engineer in wastewater and only got that to that stage at like 60 years old.

Like I said if you really about it- the world is big and the oppurtunity to make money in other places is super high.

I can't believe people justifying 60 hr work weeks as well

Last edited:
No one was bragging. I just don't think 60 hours a week is a lot. Didn't even say my hours.

60 hours a week isn't much?

Pass me the doob

Last edited:
There's distinctions about working the hours.

If you're working the hours 50+ all year round with no end game in sight (i.e. continued promition, partner track, certain lateral role on the private side, etc) then yes, you are doing it wrong and you're essentially a minimum wage employee with benefits.

If, however, you enjoy what you do and the horus a biproduct of the skills/expertise you need to do to be the top of your job/career/next step, then it is what it is. Generally, in my profession, we work our assess off for 3-4 months, in the "worst" calendar months as a result of regulatory deadlines. There's no way to move the work outside that core period. As a result, we need to work a lot. The flip side is, the expecation to continue that level of work all year round is not present and we revert back to a normal 40 hour workweek unless we have deadlines.

I will happily work this way for the following reasons:
1) I know few things I'm interested in that are secure as my career is
2) Secruity plus the fact I get some sort of raise and bonus every year
3) I have huge levels of flexibilit on how/where I get my work done
4) A lot of lesser paying jobs add more responsbilities to their people and expect them to still get them done no matter what and they wind up working more hours overall than I do on a year round basis and are really supposed to "do more with less." I don't have that pressure.

Again this is what works for me in my career relative to public accounting.

Nursing, made 110k last year, on track for 120k this year in California (LA/orange County). I've put in 80 hour weeks before, but I'm single and like my job. Full time is 36 hours, so I chose to put in more work.

I live in a low income area in California

60 hours a week isn't some obscene amount of hours...

It's all relative. To me 60hrs a week is a **** ton.

But I only work about 10-12 hours a week in the traditional sense.

I couldn't imagine taking any more time out of my life that I could otherwise be using to pursue my passions.

Last edited:
It's all relative. To me 60hrs a week is a **** ton.

But I only work about 10-12 hours a week in the traditional sense.

Anything over 40 is a ton. Most of us who say we work 40 hrs dont even work 40 hrs, probably more like 20-30 hrs of actual work. lol if you do over 40 hrs on the norm more power to you, because even in urgent matters where I`m dealing with putting out fires I still get the job done in time.

Like I said if you own your own business thats a different convo at hand, but the more hours over 40 you work the less money you actually make as your salary is now stretching out.

40-45 is enough hours.

im getting old...those 60 - 70 hours a week jobs are taxing..once you get passed your mid twenties the extra hours to do other things matter more...

Or you work hourly and get OT.

Difference in experience I guess cause round here 60 hours is the norm for a great deal of people

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom